Old 04-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Genes MailLists

Default how to transfer NM settings between computers

Does anyone know how to save all the networks settings stored via NM
applet - wired, wifi and vpn.

Ideal would be in text file format - which I can transfer to a
different computer and import back into its NM applet. Or copy to the
appropriate place to be read by nm/nm-applet.

Thanks!

gene/

Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Brendan Jones

On 04/01/2011 11:06 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:

> Does anyone know how to save all the networks settings stored via NM
> applet - wired, wifi and vpn.
>
> Ideal would be in text file format - which I can transfer to a
> different computer and import back into its NM applet. Or copy to the
> appropriate place to be read by nm/nm-applet.
>

> Thanks!
>
> gene/

You could investigate

gconftool-2 --dump /system/networking/connections > conns.xml

and

gconftool-2 --load conns.xml

However this will *not* work for F15. I'm not sure exactly where they're
being managed in dconf or otherwise for F15.

Brendan

Old 04-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Genes MailLists

On 04/01/2011 09:50 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> On 04/01/2011 11:06 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know how to save all the networks settings stored via NM
> > applet - wired, wifi and vpn.

> You could investigate
>
> gconftool-2 --dump /system/networking/connections > conns.xml

Does this include passwords ? I could not find them in the XML file?

> However this will *not* work for F15. I'm not sure exactly where they're
> being managed in dconf or otherwise for F15.

Sigh ... it will be very sad/annoying/painful if we cannot re-use
these in going to f15 .. surely there must be some way to re-use them?

Old 04-01-2011, 08:34 PM
mike cloaked

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Brendan Jones
<brendan.jones.it@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/01/2011 11:06 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> *>
> *> * *Does anyone know how to save all the networks settings stored via NM
> *> applet - wired, wifi and vpn.
> *>
> *> * *Ideal would be in text file format - which I can transfer to a
> *> different computer and import back into its NM applet. Or copy to the
> *> appropriate place to be read by nm/nm-applet.
> *>
> *>
> *> * * Thanks!
> *>
> *> * *gene/
> *>
>
> You could investigate
>
> gconftool-2 --dump /system/networking/connections > conns.xml
>
> and
>
> gconftool-2 --load conns.xml
>
> However this will *not* work for F15. I'm not sure exactly where they're
> being managed in dconf or otherwise for F15.

This is likely to be a question that many other would also liked to
have asked - and I would like to know how this will work in f15 also.
There will surely be a significant need for a way to achieve this
transfer of connection info in f15.

--
mike c

Old 04-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Brendan Jones

On 04/02/2011 12:02 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 04/01/2011 09:50 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
>> You could investigate
>>
>> gconftool-2 --dump /system/networking/connections> conns.xml
>

> Does this include passwords ? I could not find them in the XML file?

I have always rentered them - but you can try and view/export from
Passwords and Encryption keys / seahorse although I have not tried it

>> However this will *not* work for F15. I'm not sure exactly where they're
>> being managed in dconf or otherwise for F15.
>>

> Sigh ... it will be very sad/annoying/painful if we cannot re-use
> these in going to f15 .. surely there must be some way to re-use them?

I'm sure there will be a way as an upgrade will have to handle this. I
need to do this by hand for one of my work machines and will let you know.