Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Laurin

Default OT? copy live ubuntu iso image to usb for boot

Hi Ranjan.

For ISO images I can't dd on an usb stick I use Unetbootin[1]. It is in the Fedora repos and easy to use but has no command line interface. I have been trying to dd Ubuntu on an usb key but I doesn't work…

[1]http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Regards,

Laurin
--

Laurin Novak

Member Of The Fedora Localization Project - German Translators Team (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N_German_Team)

GPG-Key-ID: 0xF4239033

Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Rick Stevens

On 03/31/2011 02:11 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, I guess this would be unacceptable to ask in an Ubuntu mailing list
> and I was trying to get help with a Fedora iso but since F15 has been
> pushed back to be nice to mirrors because another distribution is
> releasing just before the original date, I thought I would try my luck.
>
> I am a loyal Fedora user but I have to install a Ubuntu live from an
> ISO. So, with Fedora, I know what to do. Download the live iso image
> and copy to usb using the following command:
>
> sudo livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr Fedora-14-x86_64-Live-LXDE.iso /dev/sdc
>
> and everything goes through fine, with a bootable iso image created in
> the process.
>
> But when I try the following:
>

> sudo livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr xubuntu-10.10-desktop-amd64.iso /dev/sdc
>
> I get:
>
> Verifying image...
>
> The media check is complete, the result is: NA.
>
> No checksum information available, unable to verify media.
> Are you SURE you want to continue?
> Press Enter to continue or ctrl-c to abort

That can be avoided by using "--noverify". IIRC, livecd-iso-to-disk
picks up the checksum info for the image from the Fedora website.
Obviously it won't have Ubuntu checksums, so you'll have to take it on
faith that the image is correct.

> WARNING: THIS WILL DESTROY ANY DATA ON /dev/sdc!!!
> Press Enter to continue or ctrl-c to abort
>
> Waiting for devices to settle...
> mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
> Filesystem label=LIVE
> OS type: Linux
> Block size=4096 (log=2)
> Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
> Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
> 61440 inodes, 245504 blocks
> 12275 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
> First data block=0
> Maximum filesystem blocks=251658240
> 8 block groups
> 32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
> 7680 inodes per group
> Superblock backups stored on blocks:
> 32768, 98304, 163840, 229376
>
> Writing inode tables: done
> Creating journal (4096 blocks): done
> Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
>
> This filesystem will be automatically checked every 36 mounts or
> 180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
> xubuntu-10.10-desktop-amd64.iso uses initrd.img w/o install.img
> Copying DVD image to USB stick
> Updating boot config file
> Installing boot loader
> /media/usbdev.g7vFg6/syslinux is device /dev/sdc1
> USB stick set up as live image!
>

> Which is actually far less output and an useless (in terms of live or
> install) iso on the usb. It is however recognized as a iso, but nothing
> more useful than that.
>
> Any suggestions on how to do this with Fedora? I prefer commandline
> approaches.

My guess is that the iso isn't truly an iso image (with a boot loader)
or, at least, the boot loader isn't compatible with a flash drive.

I believe Laurin suggested using Unetbootin. I've had fairly good luck
with it myself, but not specifically in trying to get Ubuntu to work.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:56 AM
dexter

On 31 March 2011 22:11, Ranjan Maitra <maitra iastate.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, I guess this would be unacceptable to ask in an Ubuntu mailing list
> and I was trying to get help with a Fedora iso but since F15 has been
> pushed back to be nice to mirrors because another distribution is
> releasing just before the original date, I thought I would try my luck.
>
> I am a loyal Fedora user but I have to install a Ubuntu live from an
> ISO. So, with Fedora, I know what to do. Download the live iso image
> and copy to usb using the following command:
>
> sudo livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr Fedora-14-x86_64-Live-LXDE.iso /dev/sdc
>
> and everything goes through fine, with a bootable iso image created in
> the process.
>
> But when I try the following:
>

> sudo livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr xubuntu-10.10-desktop-amd64.iso /dev/sdc

No that isn't going to work
livecd-iso-to-disk is only trained to work with fedora generated iso's
that buntu derivative uses a different squashed file system layout.

> Which is actually far less output and an useless (in terms of live or
> install) iso on the usb. It is however recognized as a iso, but nothing
> more useful than that.

told'ya :-)

> Any suggestions on how to do this with Fedora? I prefer commandline
> approaches.

Ah the commandline always where something wonderful happens :-)
here's what I did:
mount the iso
cp all files & directories to your bootable stick/media
install grub or syslinux to stick/media:
note ubuntu uses grub by default so you should already find a usable
grub.conf, It can also be called menu.lst in /boot/grub
In my case I used syslinux and modified the config according to the original.

...dex

Old 04-02-2011, 05:06 AM
dexter

On 31 March 2011 23:29, Rick Stevens <ricks nerd.com> wrote:
> That can be avoided by using "--noverify". *IIRC, livecd-iso-to-disk
> picks up the checksum info for the image from the Fedora website.
> Obviously it won't have Ubuntu checksums, so you'll have to take it on
> faith that the image is correct.

No the checksum is embedded in the iso at build time.

...dex

Old 04-02-2011, 05:12 AM
Ed Greshko

On 04/01/2011 05:11 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> OK, I guess this would be unacceptable to ask in an Ubuntu mailing list
> and I was trying to get help with a Fedora iso but since F15 has been
> pushed back to be nice to mirrors because another distribution is
> releasing just before the original date, I thought I would try my luck.

I suppose I would do the following....

1. Create a Ubuntu virtual machine
2. Use Ubuntu's own usb-creator tool

--
'Why don't I feel angry?' GLANDS, said Death shortly. ADRENALIN AND SO
FORTH. AND EMOTIONS. YOU DON'T HAVE THEM. ALL YOU HAVE NOW IS THOUGHT.