Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 PM
JB

Default Cant get networking working in Fedora14

<reg <at> dwf.com> writes:

Show us full/unedited outputs:
$ yum list installed "*network*"
$ chkconfig --list |grep -i network
$ /etc/init.d/network status

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
$ ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*eth*
$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

$ ifconfig -a
$ route -n

$ grep -i host /etc/nsswitch.conf
$ cat /etc/host.conf
$ cat /etc/hosts

$ dig www.yahoo.com
$ dig 87.248.122.122

Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 09:32 -0600, reg@dwf.com wrote:
> So, what's changed between Fedora11 and Fedora14, other than setting
> up the above files (or using system-config-network) what do I need to
> do???

Have you configured Networkmanager?

poc

Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 PM
John Aldrich

On Thu March 31 2011, reg@dwf.com wrote:
> I sent this several days ago, and it didnt make it to the list, Im
> trying again.
>
> --------------------
>
> I am just now bringing up Fedora14 (Ive been running Fedora11).
>
> Something has changed, since the way I have always done things to
> bring up networking just doen't work.
>
> I can setup
> /etc/sysconfig/network
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>
> either by hand or using the system-config-network script, and everything
> LOOKS ok, but I can not ping this machine from the outside, nor can I
> ping from it to another machine on the same network.
>
> The hardware is fine, since I have Knoppix running on the machine at the
> moment (to verify that the machine and its cables were ok) and its
> networking came up just fine.
>
> So, what's changed between Fedora11 and Fedora14, other than setting
> up the above files (or using system-config-network) what do I need to
> do???
>
> Thanks in advance.

system-config-firewall? You might have the firewall enabled (I think it's on
by default) which may be dropping all ICMP packets. Can you get out to the
internet? Do you know for sure that the network is NOT working or do you
just assume that it's not working since you can't ping the machine? :-)

Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 09:32 -0600, reg@dwf.com wrote:
> I sent this several days ago, and it didnt make it to the list, Im trying
> again.
>
> --------------------
>
> I am just now bringing up Fedora14 (Ive been running Fedora11).
>
> Something has changed, since the way I have always done things to
> bring up networking just doen't work.
>
> I can setup
> /etc/sysconfig/network
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>
> either by hand or using the system-config-network script, and everything
> LOOKS ok, but I can not ping this machine from the outside, nor can I ping
> from it to another machine on the same network.
>
> The hardware is fine, since I have Knoppix running on the machine at the
> moment (to verify that the machine and its cables were ok) and its
> networking came up just fine.
>
> So, what's changed between Fedora11 and Fedora14, other than setting
> up the above files (or using system-config-network) what do I need to do???
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

Your request did come through a day or so and you were asked whether you were running
networkmanager at the same time as network. What is your answer?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 PM

> > So, what's changed between Fedora11 and Fedora14,
> >other than setting up the above files (or using
> >system-config-network) what do I need to do???
>
> Maybe selinux is blocking? Maybe the driver is changed?

Boy, that sounded like a great idea, since I had forgotten all about selinux
(Im behind a decent firewall, so dont run it on the internal macines)/

But, I turned it off in /etc/selinux/config, rebooted, and no change.
Sorry.
--
Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

Old 03-31-2011, 10:49 PM

> On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 09:32 -0600, reg@dwf.com wrote:
> > So, what's changed between Fedora11 and Fedora14, other than setting
> > up the above files (or using system-config-network) what do I need to
> > do???
>
> Have you configured Networkmanager?

Actually, my first attempt or two was with NetworkManager enabled.
But, since ive never had any luck with it, I turned it off (in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d)
and have been doing things by hand like I always have done.
--
Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 PM

> system-config-firewall? You might have the firewall enabled (I think it's on
> by default) which may be dropping all ICMP packets. Can you get out to the
> internet? Do you know for sure that the network is NOT working or do you
> just assume that it's not working since you can't ping the machine? :-)
> --
That was the first thing I noticed, and was sure I had the problem by the tail.
I turned off the firewall, rebooted, no luck.

--
Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 PM

> system-config-firewall? You might have the firewall enabled (I think it's on
> by default) which may be dropping all ICMP packets.
> --

That was one of the first things I noticed.
I turned it off in /etc/rc.d/init.d iptables and ip6tables and rebooted.
No luck.

> Can ou get out to the
> internet?

No.

> Do you know that the network is NOT working or do you
> just assume that it's not working since you cant ping the machine?

Nope, tcpdump on another machine does not show anything coming
from the machine.
--
Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

Old 03-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Reg Clemens

> Your request did come through a day or so and you were asked whether you were running
> networkmanager at the same time as network. What is your answer?

Sorry about that.
I scanned the queue here and I never received the bounce of the original
message,
or any answer. Strange.
--
Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 PM
Gregory Woodbury

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 6:49 PM, <reg@dwf.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 09:32 -0600, reg@dwf.com wrote:

> > So, what's changed between Fedora11 and Fedora14, other than setting

> > up the above files (or using system-config-network) what do I need to

> > do???

> Have you configured Networkmanager?

Actually, my first attempt or two was with NetworkManager enabled.

But, since ive never had any luck with it, I turned it off (in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d)

and have been doing things by hand like I always have done.

I used to hate NetworkMangler also, but I has vastly improved in F14.

Try: (as root)
* ** 1) chkconfig NetworkManager on
* ** 2) service NetworkManager start

* ** 3) right-click NetworkManager icon and select "Edit Connections..."
**** 4) select the "Wired" tab
**** 5) highlight the desired network device (e.g. System eth0)
**** 6) click the "Edit" button

**** 7) ensure "Connect automatically" (checkbox) is enabled
**** 8) set up the device characteristics in the various other tabs
**** 9) "Save" and "Close" out of the Edit Connections dialogues

*** 10) Click the NetworkManager icon and (if necessary) select the device to activate

The device should come up and be active.

If you absolutely don't want to use NetworkManager, ensure that the plain old "network" service is active.

**** 1) chkconfig network on
**** 2) service network start

Hope this helps.
--