Old 03-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Linuxguy123

Default Unity on Fedora ?

Any chance that the Ubuntu Unity project will be "ported" to Fedora ?

I want to run it on a tablet.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Linuxguy123

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 09:32 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> Any chance that the Ubuntu Unity project will be "ported" to Fedora ?
>
> I want to run it on a tablet.
>
> Thanks

A bit of obscure googling got me the blog of one Adam W, who appears to
have it mostly working, as per his blog.

There’s some good news regarding Unity, though; the change to glew that
I was waiting for arrived upstream, and ajax kindly let me patch it into
the Fedora package, so once that update goes to stable, that roadblock
is gone, and I can build nux, the last underpinning for the Unity stuff
that I was waiting to get into place. Then I think I can actually build
the Unity compiz plugin (which is all Unity really is, ultimately) and
see if it flies. So that may actually go somewhere. Still no promises,
though! Stay tuned.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 AM
Bill Davidsen

Linuxguy123 wrote:
> Any chance that the Ubuntu Unity project will be "ported" to Fedora ?
>
> I want to run it on a tablet.

I'm not sure that this is ready for inclusion yet, Slashdot had a link to a
usability test done with 11 users, and 5 of them crashed it. I hear that's much
the same as the Ubuntu beta. Unity will probably be ported, but at the moment it
sounds a bit unstable rather than cutting edge.

My opinion only, I did try it in a VM briefly.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>