Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   My DVD reader doesn't always load.... (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/507965-my-dvd-reader-doesnt-always-load.html)

DB 03-31-2011 11:25 AM

My DVD reader doesn't always load....
 
Hi all,

I appear to have a problem with my DVD reader (Gigabyte Technology 16x16
DVD rw/r). When I put a dvd in the tray, sometimes the DVD title comes
up in the "recent device" window, sometimes nothing. When "nothing"
comes up, sometimes the tray is locked & I can't get the disc out again.
I have a pair of DVDs, produced in Germany, one plays, the other
doesn't.....

If the disc loads, sometimes I can play it with Kaffeine, sometimes I
have to use Bangarang, because Kaffeine doesn't see any start point on
the disc.....

Then one time, Bangarang plays one disc; when I try to play a second one
it crashes....

Anyone got any suggestions on how to try and debug this little lot?????

As ever, many thanks for any help you can give me!!!!

Cheers

Dave

uname -ar
Linux Fedora-Blue 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Feb 7 07:06:44 UTC
2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
KDE, MSI880GM-e41 with Phenom II X6 1075T
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

JB 03-31-2011 05:49 PM

My DVD reader doesn't always load....
 
DB <Freddog_de <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:

>
> Hi all,
>
> I appear to have a problem with my DVD reader (Gigabyte Technology 16x16
> DVD rw/r).

Check if you have a newer firmware for it (manufacturer or reseller site).

> When I put a dvd in the tray, sometimes the DVD title comes
> up in the "recent device" window, sometimes nothing. When "nothing"
> comes up, sometimes the tray is locked & I can't get the disc out again.

For every action you take that ends with a faulty/unusual behavior, check:
# tail /var/log/messages

> ...

JB


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

DB 04-03-2011 01:42 PM

My DVD reader doesn't always load....
 
Sorry all, forgot to change the title! Mea maxima culpa!!

On 03/31/2011 09:09 PM, users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
> DB<Freddog_de<at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I appear to have a problem with my DVD reader (Gigabyte Technology 16x16
>> > DVD rw/r).
> Check if you have a newer firmware for it (manufacturer or reseller site).
>
>> > When I put a dvd in the tray, sometimes the DVD title comes
>> > up in the "recent device" window, sometimes nothing. When "nothing"
>> > comes up, sometimes the tray is locked& I can't get the disc out again.
> For every action you take that ends with a faulty/unusual behavior, check:
> # tail /var/log/messages
>
>> > ...
> JB
>
>
>

Thanks JB,

a) yes there is a newer firmware (came out in 2005, rather than the 2002
version I'm running!) B U T..... it's a Windoze .exe file & how does
one get it to a device in F14 (no floppy, Win XP running on a Virtual
Machine? My searches of the 'net have not left me with anything very
definite.

b) here's the tail output....


Dave@Fedora-Blue ~]$ sudo tail /var/log/messages
Apr 3 15:29:11 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83978.355678] sr 4:0:0:0: [sr0]
CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 1f ff 6a 00 00 02 00
Apr 3 15:29:11 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83978.355694] end_request: I/O
error, dev sr0, sector 8388008
Apr 3 15:29:11 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83978.355703] Buffer I/O error on
device sr0, logical block 1048501
Apr 3 15:29:18 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83985.179978] sr 4:0:0:0: [sr0]
Unhandled sense code
Apr 3 15:29:18 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83985.179986] sr 4:0:0:0: [sr0]
Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
Apr 3 15:29:18 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83985.179993] sr 4:0:0:0: [sr0]
Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
Apr 3 15:29:18 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83985.180008] sr 4:0:0:0: [sr0]
Add. Sense: Timeout on logical unit
Apr 3 15:29:18 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83985.180017] sr 4:0:0:0: [sr0]
CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 1f ff 6a 00 00 02 00
Apr 3 15:29:18 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83985.180032] end_request: I/O
error, dev sr0, sector 8388008
Apr 3 15:29:18 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83985.180041] Buffer I/O error on
device sr0, logical block 1048501


Basically, tells me SFA! & when I tried loading a workable DVD, there
is nothing in /var/log/messages to compare it with...

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!!!!!

Dave
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

JB 04-03-2011 04:36 PM

My DVD reader doesn't always load....
 
DB <Freddog_de <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> ...
> b) here's the tail output....
>
> Dave <at> Fedora-Blue ~]$ sudo tail /var/log/messages
> Apr 3 15:29:11 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83978.355678] sr 4:0:0:0: [sr0]
> CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 1f ff 6a 00 00 02 00
> Apr 3 15:29:11 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83978.355694] end_request: I/O
> error, dev sr0, sector 8388008
> Apr 3 15:29:11 Fedora-Blue kernel: [83978.355703] Buffer I/O error on
> device sr0, logical block 1048501
> ...
> Basically, tells me SFA! & when I tried loading a workable DVD, there
> is nothing in /var/log/messages to compare it with...
> ...

Well, at least I have learned something. I had to look it up ...
SFA means "Sweet F**k All", slang for "nothing" :-)

Keep in mind that I am not expert on this, just a user and an observer who
tries to deduce causes of it all :-)

Your inability to read your media (properly) may have at least two causes:
- media settings (faulty code) in your KDE
I am a GNOME user, but you should be able to find it in KDE as well.
It is about:
File Management Preferences - Media - Media Handling
Choose what happens when inserting media ... etc.
- kernel scsi interface and driver problem

Also, you should test it (inserting and reading media) in both KDE and
command line environment, while watching and documenting
'# tail /var/log/messages' output after every event or entry:
- KDE, under various media handling scenarios (see above)
- in xterm only, using any combinations of entries
e.g.
a). do some basic scsi, drive, and driver checking (man wodim)
# wodim -checkdrive
# wodim -scanbus
# wodim --devices
etc
b). then, insert your media
# df
pay attention to mount options ...
# mount
# umount /media/<whatever>
# mount -t auto /dev/sr0 /media
# ls /media/*

It would be good if you test your drive by preparing small iso file and
burn a CD-RW disk (or CD-R if you want to be wasteful).
This should also show you potential errors, and confirm if your drive is
healthy or not.

Document action and faulty behavior/error output to be able to file
a Bugzilla report, most probably to kernel scsi subsystem maintainers.

Btw, yesterday I was in trouble with my notebook CD/DVD R/W drive when
I wanted to burn a CD-RW disk.
I tried it with Brasero disk burner app - failure.
I tried it with 'wodim' on the command line, even 'wodim -scanbus' told me to
f*k off due to something like "... inability to recognize scsi interface or
finding a driver ...".
After rebooting I was able to make it work with wodim.
I do not remember anything like that happening ever ...
That tells me perhaps there is a common problem for all of us, and not
specific to GNOME, KDE, or any of their applications, but rather to wodim
or kernel scsi interface and drivers.

JB


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:46 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.