Old 03-30-2011, 05:23 AM
JD

Default Problems after upgrading to F14

On 03/29/2011 04:29 PM, JB wrote:
> JD<jd1008<at> gmail.com> writes:

>> I did that. I did update a lot of fc13 packages to fc14.
>> But it still chocked on the dependencies that had other
>> packages depending on the very dependencies it tries
>> to update.
>> Yum simply does not seem to be able to handle this chain
>> of dependencies scenario.
>> I consider it broken!
>>
> I would execute this:
> # yum distro-sync
>
> and post the full output (dependencies conflict, etc) to the list.
>
> It would be interesting to see what yum can not handle.
> Perhaps there is something unusual we will be able to identify (before you
> decide what to do next: file a Bugzilla report, etc).
>
> Also, I would double check the plugins with regard to packages update
> protections and their configurations.
> Or any exclusions, etc in your main yum config file.
>
> JB

That's what I meant when I said 'I did that'
Sorry that I did not save the output.

It does take a long time and produces a list of what is
"set to be installed" - but because it encounters
errors with some packages and their dependencies,
it does not install any of them.

What I have been doing is that for every dependency that
causes conflicts, I uninstall the conflicting dependency and all packages
that depend on it, and then I "yum install" them and that
fixes the problem with that dependency.
So, next time I do yum update, the problem with that
specific dependency is gone and the new dependencies
are installed. And on with the next conflict ...etc.
So, it has been a rather slow and painful process to do
things that yum should be doing for me.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:27 AM
JD

On 03/29/2011 09:39 PM, José Matos wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 March 2011 00:09:58 JD wrote:
>> Yum simply does not seem to be able to handle this chain
>> of dependencies scenario.
>> I consider it broken!
> Use the --skip-broken parameter to see if the dependency resolution goes
> further.
>
> FWIW the interplay between the packages that you have installed and those
> available in the repositories can be at fault and not yum.
Well, I had no such problems in fc13. How come that interplay
did not cause conflicts in fc13?

And yes, --skip-broken does work as far as installing things
that have no conflicts.
But the conflicts remain and every time I run yum to
install or update something, it belches out the report
about broken packages.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 AM
José Matos

On Wednesday 30 March 2011 06:27:41 JD wrote:
> Well, I had no such problems in fc13. How come that interplay
> did not cause conflicts in fc13?

Because the repositories that you now using are from f14.

There could be several reason for the problems you see. One example, imagine
that a package has been discontinued in f14. If you have that file installed
from f13 yum will refuse to remove it, unless you tell it otherwise. The
problem with this package is that it could drag the update process due its
dependencies not being fulfilled in f14.

In order to fix issues like this you can search for this information that is
usually available either in the release notes or in the fedora wiki.

> And yes, --skip-broken does work as far as installing things
> that have no conflicts.
> But the conflicts remain and every time I run yum to
> install or update something, it belches out the report
> about broken packages.

When running yum with --skip-broken it prints a nice list of conflits and the
related reason why it has failed. Walktrough those and fix the dependencies as
apropriate.

--
José Abílio

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM
JD

On 03/29/2011 11:23 PM, José Matos wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 March 2011 06:27:41 JD wrote:
>> Well, I had no such problems in fc13. How come that interplay
>> did not cause conflicts in fc13?
> Because the repositories that you now using are from f14.
>
> There could be several reason for the problems you see. One example, imagine
> that a package has been discontinued in f14. If you have that file installed
> from f13 yum will refuse to remove it, unless you tell it otherwise. The
> problem with this package is that it could drag the update process due its
> dependencies not being fulfilled in f14.
>
> In order to fix issues like this you can search for this information that is
> usually available either in the release notes or in the fedora wiki.
>
>> And yes, --skip-broken does work as far as installing things
>> that have no conflicts.
>> But the conflicts remain and every time I run yum to
>> install or update something, it belches out the report
>> about broken packages.
> When running yum with --skip-broken it prints a nice list of conflits and the
> related reason why it has failed. Walktrough those and fix the dependencies as
> apropriate.
And that's exactly what I have resorted to.
One broken package at a time