Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 AM
William Case

Default Facebook on Fedora -- a couple of questions/suggestions.

Hi;

There has been a lot of action on the Facebook pages I belong to over
the last couple of days about trojans and/or viruses. They all seem to
be link related. I am pretty sure they cannot affect anything on
Fedora, but I was wondering. They all seem M$ related.

Facebook seems to be unaware of the concept of workspaces. If I am
using a workspace that doesn't have my browser I get no notification of
a posting or message or friendship request. The chat requests makes a
sound. Any suggestions on how I might set up a notification monitor
that shows in my system tray, or beeps or something like my email
monitor. Looked in FB apps -- nothing.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32

Old 03-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Fernando Cassia

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 9:09 PM, William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
> *Any suggestions on how I might set up a notification monitor
> that shows in my system tray, or beeps or something like my email
> monitor. *Looked in FB apps -- nothing.

Greasemonkey comes to mind...

FC

Old 03-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Ed Greshko

On 03/30/2011 08:23 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 9:09 PM, William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
>> Any suggestions on how I might set up a notification monitor
>> that shows in my system tray, or beeps or something like my email
>> monitor. Looked in FB apps -- nothing.
> Greasemonkey comes to mind...
>
> FC

FWIW, I run the Tweetdeck plugin for Chrome. Allows one to set up
columns and pick what types of notifications you get.

--
But what can you do with it? -- ubiquitous cry from Linux-user partner.
(Submitted by Andy Pearce, ajp@hpopd.pwd.hp.com) 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市

Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 20:09:37 -0400
William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:

> Facebook seems to be unaware of the concept of workspaces. If I am
> using a workspace that doesn't have my browser I get no notification
> of a posting or message or friendship request. The chat requests
> makes a sound. Any suggestions on how I might set up a notification
> monitor that shows in my system tray, or beeps or something like my
> email monitor. Looked in FB apps -- nothing.

I think its nothing Facebook can do about. The browser has to support
notifications to the desktop from websites. I think Google implemented
this for GMail but it is only supported in the unstable/beta Google
Chrome builds. I think they also intend to push this change as something
that all browsers should support.

That said, you can use the facebook plugin for pidgin or empathy to
integrate Facebook notifications and chat with your desktop very
trivially. Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu