Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Karol Babioch

Default Mounting a LUKS encrypted LVM partition manually

Hi,

I'm new to Fedora and basically got it up and running. However I
couldn't find a solution for mounting my LUKS encrypted LVM partition
manually.

I've got a SSD and another hard drive for the storage of some media
files. The system is running on the SSD, which is an LUKS encrypted LVM
volume. This works great.

However I now want to mount another LUKS encrypted LVM (the hard drive)
automatically during the boot. This doesn't work out for me, because
basically during the boot up the following must be handled:

* Ask for the pass phrase for the SSD
* Unlock the SSD
* Run some kind of LVM hook to get the LVs active
* Mount the unlocked and activated LVs
* Read /etc/crypttab
* Mount the second hard drive
* Run the lvm hook once again
* Mount all unlocked and activated LVs according to /etc/fstab

So, can this be done with Fedora? It worked great on Arch (by running
the lvm hook twice), but I couldn't find anything similar in Fedora?

Do I have to change the initscripts, or can this be done more elegantly?
Is this something that should be considered a bug? Because right now,
when I haven't missed something, its not possible to mount a LUKS
encrypted LVM partition automatically?

Btw: Where can I find some information about the boot process in Fedora?
Couldn't find any specific to Fedora, furthermore mkinitrd seems to have
no man page?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

Old 03-30-2011, 03:27 PM
"Roger K. Wells"

On 03/29/2011 06:27 PM, Karol Babioch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Fedora and basically got it up and running. However I
> couldn't find a solution for mounting my LUKS encrypted LVM partition
> manually.
>
> I've got a SSD and another hard drive for the storage of some media
> files. The system is running on the SSD, which is an LUKS encrypted LVM
> volume. This works great.
>
> However I now want to mount another LUKS encrypted LVM (the hard drive)
> automatically during the boot. This doesn't work out for me, because
> basically during the boot up the following must be handled:
>
> * Ask for the pass phrase for the SSD
> * Unlock the SSD
> * Run some kind of LVM hook to get the LVs active
> * Mount the unlocked and activated LVs
> * Read /etc/crypttab
> * Mount the second hard drive
> * Run the lvm hook once again
> * Mount all unlocked and activated LVs according to /etc/fstab
>
> So, can this be done with Fedora? It worked great on Arch (by running
> the lvm hook twice), but I couldn't find anything similar in Fedora?

I am very interested in this as well.
roger wells

--
Roger Wells, P.E.