FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 PM
JD
 
Default Problems after upgrading to F14

I upgraded from F13 to F13 using the installation DVD
downloaded from
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/14/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-14-i386-DVD.iso

The checksum was good.
I burned and booted with the DVD I burned, and I let Anaconda perform
integrity check. All went well.
I selected to upgrasde from the anaconda menu.

Upgrade went without a hitch (although, it took almost 14 hours!! to
finish).

Upon reboot (into single user mode),
I brought up the network - no problems there.

I then ran

yum -y update

And yum falls on it's face because it is unable to properly
handle dependencies.

For example it funds updates for some particular dependency,
but it is unable to resolve the problem of some other package
depending on the dependency which it is trying to upgrade to a higher
version.

So, yum gets stuck in a loop.

I have the output file saved.

I would like to attach that file, but in the past,
the listserv has dumped my message because of
an attachment.

Any suggestions?

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Problems after upgrading to F14

On 03/29/2011 11:57 AM, JD wrote:
> Upon reboot (into single user mode),
> I brought up the network - no problems there.

First, I presume you meant you went from F 13 to F 14. Second, did you
actually boot into single-user mode (init 1) or simply a CLI instead of
a GUI, which is init 3? I ask because not only doesn't init 1 have the
network up (Yes, I know you wrote that you brought it up.) it also
doesn't have a completely functional system. Among other things, the
only partition mounted is /. Depending on what level you were in, and
how your system is partitioned, it might make a difference. And, I must
admit that I'm a tad concerned about why it took 14 hours for an upgrade
from DVD. Please let us know exactly what you did when you rebooted,
because which init level you were in may well have made a difference.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM
JD
 
Default Problems after upgrading to F14

On 03/29/2011 12:10 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 11:57 AM, JD wrote:
>> Upon reboot (into single user mode),
>> I brought up the network - no problems there.
> First, I presume you meant you went from F 13 to F 14. Second, did you
> actually boot into single-user mode (init 1) or simply a CLI instead of
> a GUI, which is init 3? I ask because not only doesn't init 1 have the
> network up (Yes, I know you wrote that you brought it up.) it also
> doesn't have a completely functional system. Among other things, the
> only partition mounted is /. Depending on what level you were in, and
> how your system is partitioned, it might make a difference. And, I must
> admit that I'm a tad concerned about why it took 14 hours for an upgrade
> from DVD. Please let us know exactly what you did when you rebooted,
> because which init level you were in may well have made a difference.
I said:
I rebooted into single user mode.
I brought up the network without problems.
i.e., in single user mode I ran
service wpa_supplicant start
service network start
and I said: no problems there.
By no problems, I meant:
ping www.fedoraproject.com
worked just fine!!

Which init level?
I said I rebooted into single user mode!!
If you do not know how to do that, you need to read the wiki.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM
JB
 
Default Problems after upgrading to F14

JD <jd1008 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ...

This is my cure-all medicine:

# yum-complete-transaction
# yum clean all
# yum distro-sync
# yum check
# package-cleanup --dupes | problems | orphans
if any dupes or problems show up, show us the output; ignore orphans for now.
# find /etc -iname "*.rpm*"
and reconcile them if any
# ldconfig -v
# prelink -aR
# reboot

Meltdown :-)

JB


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Problems after upgrading to F14

On 03/29/2011 12:18 PM, JD wrote:
> Which init level?
> I said I rebooted into single user mode!!
> If you do not know how to do that, you need to read the wiki.

Instead of getting hysterical and trying (unsuccessfully) to insult me,
you might have noticed that I mentioned both init 1 and init 3. The
reason I wanted to confirm which init level you were really in is
because I couldn't be sure that *you* knew the difference. I've seen,
both here and at fedoraforum.org, enough posts from people who thought
that a CLI was "single user mode" that I don't assume that an unknown
poster really was in init 1 without checking.

Now that we know that, the question becomes, "Why use single user mode
for a yum update?" You could either have booted into text mode (init 3)
or used Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a CLI after a normal boot, logged in as
root and done the update there. Or, easiest of all, done a normal boot,
logged in, started a terminal and used su. So: "Why use single user mode?"
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
JD
 
Default Problems after upgrading to F14

On 03/29/2011 12:18 PM, JB wrote:
> JD<jd1008<at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ...
> This is my cure-all medicine:
>
> # yum-complete-transaction
> # yum clean all
> # yum distro-sync
> # yum check
> # package-cleanup --dupes | problems | orphans
> if any dupes or problems show up, show us the output; ignore orphans for now.
> # find /etc -iname "*.rpm*"
> and reconcile them if any
> # ldconfig -v
> # prelink -aR
> # reboot
>
> Meltdown :-)
>
> JB
>
>
Will this uninstall any packages I already have?

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
JD
 
Default Problems after upgrading to F14

On 03/29/2011 12:36 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 12:18 PM, JD wrote:
>> Which init level?
>> I said I rebooted into single user mode!!
>> If you do not know how to do that, you need to read the wiki.
> Instead of getting hysterical and trying (unsuccessfully) to insult me,
> you might have noticed that I mentioned both init 1 and init 3. The
> reason I wanted to confirm which init level you were really in is
> because I couldn't be sure that *you* knew the difference. I've seen,
> both here and at fedoraforum.org, enough posts from people who thought
> that a CLI was "single user mode" that I don't assume that an unknown
> poster really was in init 1 without checking.
>
> Now that we know that, the question becomes, "Why use single user mode
> for a yum update?" You could either have booted into text mode (init 3)
> or used Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a CLI after a normal boot, logged in as
> root and done the update there. Or, easiest of all, done a normal boot,
> logged in, started a terminal and used su. So: "Why use single user mode?"
I am neither hysterical nor insulting.
I merely thought that since you did not know that one
can boot directly into single user mode, (i.e. without
booting into the normal level 5, and then using a shell
terminal to "sudo init s"), I thought you are probably
a newbie, and thus suggested you read the wiki.
Why is that an insult?
And no, I did not do anything as you say in your
second paragraph.
So, keep you from guessing, please read
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/grub-boot-into-single-user-mode/

Cheers,

JD
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-29-2011, 08:55 PM
JB
 
Default Problems after upgrading to F14

JD <jd1008 <at> gmail.com> writes:

>
> On 03/29/2011 12:18 PM, JB wrote:
> > JD<jd1008<at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> ...
> > This is my cure-all medicine:
> >
> > # yum-complete-transaction
> > # yum clean all
> > # yum distro-sync
> > # yum check
> > # package-cleanup --dupes | problems | orphans
> > if any dupes or problems show up, show us the output; ignore orphans
> > for now.
> > # find /etc -iname "*.rpm*"
> > and reconcile them if any
> > # ldconfig -v
> > # prelink -aR
> > # reboot
> >
> > Meltdown
> >
> > JB
> >
> >
> Will this uninstall any packages I already have?
>

The only entry of interest would be:
# yum distro-sync

According to:
$ man yum
...
distribution-synchronization or distro-sync
Synchronizes the installed package set with the latest packages
available, this is done by either obsoleting, upgrading or down‐
grading as appropriate. This will "normally" do the same thing
as the upgrade command however if you have the package FOO
installed at version 4, and the latest available is only version
3, then this command will downgrade FOO to version 3.

This command does not perform operations on groups, local pack‐
ages or negative selections.
...

it may reshuffle some packages, but only for the good/integrity of
the installation.

JB


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Problems after upgrading to F14

On 03/29/2011 01:38 PM, JD wrote:
> I merely thought that since you did not know that one
> can boot directly into single user mode, (i.e. without
> booting into the normal level 5, and then using a shell
> terminal to "sudo init s")

I not only know how to boot into single-user mode, I know how to do it
from a CLI without using sudo, which I personally consider a pointless
crutch on a home box. (If you've been on this list for more than a few
days, you've seen my opinion on that.) I've been using Linux since
*before* FC 1, and have been using Fedora as my main OS since F 9. You
seem to be interested only in telling me how to boot into init 1, and
ignoring the fact that I only wanted to make sure that you *really were*
in single-user mode, not init 3. Now, instead of repeatedly trying to
tell your grandfather how to suck eggs, try answering the question I
asked in my last message: "Why were you using single-user mode?"
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-29-2011, 11:09 PM
JD
 
Default Problems after upgrading to F14

On 03/29/2011 01:55 PM, JB wrote:
> JD<jd1008<at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 03/29/2011 12:18 PM, JB wrote:
>>> JD<jd1008<at> gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>>> ...
>>> This is my cure-all medicine:
>>>
>>> # yum-complete-transaction
>>> # yum clean all
>>> # yum distro-sync
>>> # yum check
>>> # package-cleanup --dupes | problems | orphans
>>> if any dupes or problems show up, show us the output; ignore orphans
>>> for now.
>>> # find /etc -iname "*.rpm*"
>>> and reconcile them if any
>>> # ldconfig -v
>>> # prelink -aR
>>> # reboot
>>>
>>> Meltdown
>>>
>>> JB
>>>
>>>
>> Will this uninstall any packages I already have?
>>
> The only entry of interest would be:
> # yum distro-sync
>
> According to:
> $ man yum
> ...
> distribution-synchronization or distro-sync
> Synchronizes the installed package set with the latest packages
> available, this is done by either obsoleting, upgrading or down‐
> grading as appropriate. This will "normally" do the same thing
> as the upgrade command however if you have the package FOO
> installed at version 4, and the latest available is only version
> 3, then this command will downgrade FOO to version 3.
>
> This command does not perform operations on groups, local pack‐
> ages or negative selections.
> ...
>
> it may reshuffle some packages, but only for the good/integrity of
> the installation.
>
> JB
>
>
I did that. I did update a lot of fc13 packages to fc14.
But it still chocked on the dependencies that had other
packages depending on the very dependencies it tries
to update.
Yum simply does not seem to be able to handle this chain
of dependencies scenario.
I consider it broken!

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org