Old 03-29-2011, 06:09 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Default F13: Acroread (Adobe reader) on FF crashes with a defunct process.

Opening a PDF file within Firefox for the
first time does start acroread and one can
view a PDF document, however, it causes
a defunct process preventing other PDF
files from being viewed. As far as I can
tell, I have to reboot to clear the defunct
process before being able to use FF for
PDF viewing. Outside of FF, PDF files can
be viewed and no defunct processes are
created, which leads me to believe that
the problem is with FF.

> ps -aux | grep acroread
<me> 4277 2.3 0.0 0 0 ? Z 10:25 0:25
[acroread] <defunct>

Latest versions:

Fedora 2.6.34.8-68.fc13.i686
AdobeReader_enu-9.4.2-1.i486
firefox-3.6.16-1.fc13.i686

Old 03-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Joe Zeff

On 03/29/2011 11:09 AM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> > ps -aux | grep acroread
> <me> 4277 2.3 0.0 0 0 ? Z 10:25 0:25
> [acroread]<defunct>

kill -9 4277

gets rid of it. Or, simply use this:

killall -9 accoread

and Bob's your uncle. HTH, HAND.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

On 03/29/2011 11:38 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> <me> 4277 2.3 0.0 0 0 ? Z 10:25 0:25
>> [acroread]<defunct>
> kill -9 4277
>
> gets rid of it. Or, simply use this:
>
> killall -9 accoread
>
> and Bob's your uncle. HTH, HAND.
Yeah, that kills the process, but does not fix
the problem. If I killed the process (4277),
then tried to read a FF PDF document again,
process 4277 reappears as defunct.

It turns out that Firefox was gnome session
saved when rebooted and on start up restored
10 FF minimized windows and I did not notice
this until now. The problem is, the restore of the
10 FF sessions were munged.

So I cleared/killed all the FF gnome session saves
and rebooted. Everything is now back to normal.

Thanks for leading me towards the problem.
Dan