Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Aaron Gray

Default Getting command line to do 'modprobe' on Fedora install

I need to get to the command line to do a 'modprobe DAC960' on installing Fedora.
Is this possible ?
Many thanks in advance,
Aaron

Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Aaron Gray wrote:
> I need to get to the command line to do a 'modprobe DAC960' on
> installing Fedora.
>
> Is this possible ?

Is the Fedora installer not allowing you to install to hard drives
located on your RAID card?

If that is the case, I'm afraid Linux (the kernel, not Fedora) does not
support your RAID card. A quick Google shows the last driver was
compatible with the 2.4 Linux kernel. Fedora 14 uses the 2.6 kernel line.

Manually running modprobe will not work as there is no "dac960" kernel
module for the 2.6 kernel and hardware detection is automatic these days
(versus 2.2/2.4 kernels).

Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Aaron Gray

On 29 March 2011 20:14, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:

Aaron Gray wrote:

> I need to get to the command line to do a 'modprobe DAC960' on

> installing Fedora.

> Is this possible ?

Is the Fedora installer not allowing you to install to hard drives

located on your RAID card?

FC4 was working. post FC4 is not.**
If that is the case, I'm afraid Linux (the kernel, not Fedora) does not

support your RAID card. A quick Google shows the last driver was

compatible with the 2.4 Linux kernel. Fedora 14 uses the 2.6 kernel line.

FC4 was*2.6.11, looks like it may have been jettisoned later.*

Manually running modprobe will not work as there is no "dac960" kernel

module for the 2.6 kernel and hardware detection is automatic these days

(versus 2.2/2.4 kernels).

Right. How does the HW detection work now ?
Thanks,
Aaron

Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Aaron Gray on 03/29/2011 02:23 PM wrote:
> FC4 was working. post FC4 is not.
>

> FC4 was 2.6.11, looks like it may have been jettisoned later.

Kernel drivers come and go. Sometimes they are completely rewritten (and
renamed). Unfortunately for you it seems support for your card is gone
completely.

If you wish to use a newer Fedora release it will involve chasing down
someone to help you. I'm not a kernel developer so I can only show you
the way. You should start by getting your PCI ID of your card and
posting your findings to the kernel[1] list.

> Right. How does the HW detection work now ?

Mainly off of PCI ID.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 PM
JB

Michael Cronenworth <mike <at> cchtml.com> writes:

> If that is the case, I'm afraid Linux (the kernel, not Fedora) does not
> support your RAID card. A quick Google shows the last driver was
> compatible with the 2.4 Linux kernel. Fedora 14 uses the 2.6 kernel line.
>
> Manually running modprobe will not work as there is no "dac960" kernel
> module for the 2.6 kernel and hardware detection is automatic these days
> (versus 2.2/2.4 kernels).

Are you sure ?
$ uname -r
2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686
$ grep -i DAC960 /boot/config-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DAC960=m
$ grep -i DAC960 /lib/modules/2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686/modules.dep
kernel/drivers/block/DAC960.ko:

JB

Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Michael Cronenworth

JB wrote:
> Are you sure ?
> $ uname -r
> 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686
> $ grep -i DAC960 /boot/config-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DAC960=m
> $ grep -i DAC960 /lib/modules/2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686/modules.dep
> kernel/drivers/block/DAC960.ko:

I'm wrong then, the module still exists. I am too used to modules being
lower case that I didn't perform an case-insensitive search.

Aaron, you should try a LiveCD or USB image and try to modprobe your
module. The Disk Utility (palimpset) should display your card at that point.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Aaron Gray

On 29 March 2011 21:07, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:

JB wrote:

> Are you sure ?

> $ uname -r

> 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686

> $ grep -i DAC960 /boot/config-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686

> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DAC960=m

> $ grep -i DAC960 /lib/modules/2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686/modules.dep

> kernel/drivers/block/DAC960.ko:

I'm wrong then, the module still exists. I am too used to modules being

lower case that I didn't perform an case-insensitive search.

Yes, Anaconda used to detect and load the DAC960 driver on FC4, but post FC4 Kudzu but does not seem to support DAC960 detection any more.

*
Aaron, you should try a LiveCD or USB image and try to modprobe your

module. The Disk Utility (palimpset) should display your card at that point.
Okay, that maybe a work around, thanks,
Aaron

Old 03-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Aaron Gray

On 29 March 2011 20:57, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:

Michael Cronenworth <mike <at> cchtml.com> writes:

> If that is the case, I'm afraid Linux (the kernel, not Fedora) does not

> support your RAID card. A quick Google shows the last driver was

> compatible with the 2.4 Linux kernel. Fedora 14 uses the 2.6 kernel line.

> Manually running modprobe will not work as there is no "dac960" kernel

> module for the 2.6 kernel and hardware detection is automatic these days

> (versus 2.2/2.4 kernels).

Are you sure ?

$ uname -r

2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686

$ grep -i DAC960 /boot/config-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DAC960=m

$ grep -i DAC960 /lib/modules/2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686/modules.dep

kernel/drivers/block/DAC960.ko:
That is good news. Thank you,
Aaron
*

Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 PM
JD

On 03/29/2011 12:57 PM, JB wrote:
> Michael Cronenworth<mike<at> cchtml.com> writes:

>> If that is the case, I'm afraid Linux (the kernel, not Fedora) does not
>> support your RAID card. A quick Google shows the last driver was
>> compatible with the 2.4 Linux kernel. Fedora 14 uses the 2.6 kernel line.
>>
>> Manually running modprobe will not work as there is no "dac960" kernel
>> module for the 2.6 kernel and hardware detection is automatic these days
>> (versus 2.2/2.4 kernels).
> Are you sure ?
> $ uname -r
> 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686
> $ grep -i DAC960 /boot/config-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DAC960=m
> $ grep -i DAC960 /lib/modules/2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686/modules.dep
> kernel/drivers/block/DAC960.ko:
>
> JB
Right.
As far back as 2004, I recall using the dac960 driver on redhat linux.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Alan Cox

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 18:24:33 +0100
Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to get to the command line to do a 'modprobe DAC960' on installing
> Fedora.
>
> Is this possible ?

It should automatically load the module providing it is on the image. It
could be the autoload is failing for some reason or the driver is broken,
or its not on the boot image.

Unfortunately the one person who really knew it and looked after it
(Leonard Zubkoff) died in an accident some years ago. It no longer really
gets much attention as it's little used and IBM who bought Mylex who
produced it have long dropped it too.

In fact I think you are the first reference I've seen to it in use for a
couple of years !

Probably the best strategy is to investigate using a live image and see
what "dmesg" shows and what occurs if you try and load it. That may give
the info needed for someone to get it going.

Alan