Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Andras Simon

Default Ubuntu Was Linux on ARM tablets?

On 3/28/11, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:

> In which way can porting Fedora/RH to run on tables contributes to
> MAKING A LOSS or NOT generating a profit?.

By having to pay people, infrastructure, whatever.

> In fact, having people talk about your brand/name creates mindshare,
> and thus indirectly boosts sales.

Or not. People who make decisions in IT departments on which OS to run
on their servers are hopefully not basing those decisions on who's
supplying the OS for their gadgets.

> I don´t currently have time to code, however, nothing prevents someone
> from picking the ideas discussed here and *doing*.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen an idea here so far.

Andras

Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Andras Simon <szajmi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Or not. People who make decisions in IT departments on which OS to run
> on their servers are hopefully not basing those decisions on who's
> supplying the OS for their gadgets.

Exactly, that must be why Novell never lost any market share and
Windows 9x didn´t conquer the minds of people at home first before NT
started making inroads in IT depts.

FC

Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Andras Simon

On 3/29/11, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Andras Simon <szajmi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Or not. People who make decisions in IT departments on which OS to run
>> on their servers are hopefully not basing those decisions on who's
>> supplying the OS for their gadgets.
>
> Exactly, that must be why Novell never lost any market share and
> Windows 9x didn´t conquer the minds of people at home first before NT
> started making inroads in IT depts.

Have you checked the financial health of Novell and Red Hat recently?
I'm not sure Red Hat would like to be anywhere near where Novell is...
As for MS, I think it's fair to say that it's playing in another
league. Apart from everything else, they had enough money to bribe
anyone into using their server OS. (Note to MS lawyers: I didn't say
they did bribe someone...) If RH wants to follow their example, they
should probably study what MS did in the 80's, not what they did in
the 90's.

Andras

Old 03-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Andras Simon <szajmi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you checked the financial health of Novell and Red Hat recently?
> I'm not sure Red Hat would like to be anywhere near where Novell is...

Andras, you must have reading problems. I was citing Novell not as an
example of what to do, quite the contrary. Novell has a sever OS lead,
and they sit on their niche market, while Microsoft took the server
market from the bottom up, starting with home desktops, conquering the
minds of people, and then moving upwards to the IT sysadmins´ turf.

FC

Old 03-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> Novell has a sever OS lead,

Sorry I meant "had".

FC

Old 03-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Andras Simon

On 3/29/11, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Andras Simon <szajmi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Have you checked the financial health of Novell and Red Hat recently?
>> I'm not sure Red Hat would like to be anywhere near where Novell is...
>
> Andras, you must have reading problems. I was citing Novell not as an
> example of what to do, quite the contrary. Novell has a sever OS lead,
> and they sit on their niche market, while Microsoft took the server
> market from the bottom up, starting with home desktops, conquering the
> minds of people, and then moving upwards to the IT sysadmins´ turf.

Right, sorry, I misread what you wrote. But I hope I'm misreading you
again and you're not seriously suggesting that RS should go into the
gadget business because MS
did and they're thriving, and Novell didn't and they're not.

Andras