Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Krosh Ivanov

Default Update fail

Hi,
I updated my Fedora from 13 to 14, and nothing wrong happened during
the process. However, after rebooting I got the error "No such file
... found" when the command "fsck.ext4 /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root"
was executed and the system didn't start. Is there something more that
I should do in addition to installing the packages?

Thanks,
Ivan

Old 03-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Joe Zeff

On 03/27/2011 01:06 PM, Krosh Ivanov wrote:
> I updated my Fedora from 13 to 14, and nothing wrong happened during
> the process.

How? Did you use an install DVD and tell it to upgrade, did you use
preupgrade or simply have yum upgrade from a terminal? We need more
information.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Krosh Ivanov

I did it by using yum following the hints from
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq#Fedora_13_-.3E_Fedora_14)

Ivan

Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Joe Zeff

On 03/27/2011 01:26 PM, Krosh Ivanov wrote:
> I did it by using yum following the hints from
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq#Fedora_13_-.3E_Fedora_14)
>
> Ivan

OK, are you able to boot into your old F 13 kernel by selecting it in
grub? If so, what do you get from uname -r? If not, what happens when
you try? (I may not know the answer, but if nothing else, I can help
you find the data that whoever does know the answer's going to need.)

Old 03-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Krosh Ivanov

Well, it seems that rpm changed some scripts and not others, no new
option in list boot was created. The first error says that "--sysinit"
option is not recognized, so the error related to fsck.ext4 is got.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Krosh Ivanov

Joe,
Take a look at what I found: "Fedora 14 includes a tech preview of
systemd, a next-generation replacement for Upstart and SystemV init.
Systemd allows for parallel and on-demand starting of services and
features, which will result in faster boot times.".
It seems that yum didn't install correctly the new initialization
system, maybe that is what causes the crash after boot time.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2011, 03:45 PM
john wendel

On 03/28/2011 07:28 AM, Krosh Ivanov wrote:
> Joe,
> Take a look at what I found: "Fedora 14 includes a tech preview of
> systemd, a next-generation replacement for Upstart and SystemV init.
> Systemd allows for parallel and on-demand starting of services and
> features, which will result in faster boot times.".
> It seems that yum didn't install correctly the new initialization
> system, maybe that is what causes the crash after boot time.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Krosh Ivanov<krosh.ivan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, it seems that rpm changed some scripts and not others, no new
>> option in list boot was created. The first error says that "--sysinit"
>> option is not recognized, so the error related to fsck.ext4 is got.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Krosh Ivanov<krosh.ivan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I did it by using yum following the hints from
>>> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq#Fedora_13_-.3E_Fedora_14)
>>>
>>> Ivan

For what it's worth, after seeing the original email, I did a 13 -> 14
upgrade, using the instructions on the website. NO problems here. And it
didn't switch the init to systemd. I'm running the same kind of boot
scripts that I had before the upgrade.

Regards,

John

Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 03/28/2011 07:58 PM, Krosh Ivanov wrote:
> Joe,
> Take a look at what I found: "Fedora 14 includes a tech preview of
> systemd, a next-generation replacement for Upstart and SystemV init.
> Systemd allows for parallel and on-demand starting of services and
> features, which will result in faster boot times.".
> It seems that yum didn't install correctly the new initialization
> system, maybe that is what causes the crash after boot time.

Nope. systemd is a optional package in Fedora 14 and unless you install
it manually, it won't get pulled in via an update. This isn't your
problem.

Rahul