Old 03-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Mark LaPierre

Default copy files from virtualbox -

On 03/27/2011 09:27 AM, fred smith wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 08:58:18AM -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> How can I access files downloaded in virtualbox/Windows from
>> Fedora 14?
>>
>> I a normal dual boot installation it's easy enough but I haven't
>> found a way to do it with vbox. Perhaps it can't be done?
>>
>> Bob
>> --
> scp?
> sftp?
> smb sharing (windows shares)?

With KVM all you need to do is format a partition, virtual or physical,
with a FAT file system and then mount that partition as the D: drive in
the virtual machine. Write your files there.

You can't have the partition mounted inside the VM and on Linux at the
same time. If you choose to use the virtual file system you can mount it
with loopback. If you use a physical partition you can use mount to
mount the partition. Then copy your files on/off the FAT partition.

I have not used virtual box so I don't know how, or if you can, mount a
second partition on you VM. YMMV

/(_)
^ ^ Mark LaPierre
Registerd Linux user No #267004
www.counter.li.org
****
In a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today.
**
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it.
To mess up an MS Windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****
--
Signature shamelessly copied from:
Jatin Khatri& geleem

Old 03-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Genes MailLists

On 03/27/2011 09:46 AM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> On 03/27/2011 09:27 AM, fred smith wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 08:58:18AM -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>> How can I access files downloaded in virtualbox/Windows from
>>> Fedora 14?

..

> smb sharing (windows shares)?

> With KVM all you need to do is format a partition, virtual or physical,
> with a FAT file system and then mount that partition as the D: drive in
> the virtual machine. Write your files there.
>
> You can't have the partition mounted inside the VM and on Linux at the
> same time. If you choose to use the virtual file system you can mount it
> with loopback. If you use a physical partition you can use mount to
> mount the partition. Then copy your files on/off the FAT partition.
>
> I have not used virtual box so I don't know how, or if you can, mount a
> second partition on you VM. YMMV

geez kvm is a bit messy ...

several ways in vbox - simplest is straightforward access to any linux
directory on the local machine via clicking on Settings->Shared Folders
[1]

Or as prev poster suggested via any network mount as well .. (local
machine or remote).

g/

[1] and you can happily access them on linux at the same time - and it
doesn't need to be part of a fat partition or anything :-)

Old 03-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 27/03/11 09:27, fred smith wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 08:58:18AM -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> How can I access files downloaded in virtualbox/Windows from
>> Fedora 14?
>>
>> I a normal dual boot installation it's easy enough but I haven't
>> found a way to do it with vbox. Perhaps it can't be done?
>>
>> Bob
>> --
> scp?
> sftp?
> smb sharing (windows shares)?

Therein lies my problem, sftp to where? How do I address the
shared files in the virtual WindowsXP. I even copied them to a
new directory under the "c" drive designation but I can't find
the virtual files from here in F14.

It may be obvious but I don't see it, makes me feel dumb!

Bob

Old 03-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Claude Jones

On Sunday, March 27, 2011, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> ********Therein lies my problem, sftp to where? How do I

> address the shared files in the virtual WindowsXP. I even

> copied them to a new directory under the "c" drive designation

> but I can't find the virtual files from here in F14.

> ********It may be obvious but I don't see it, makes me feel

> dumb!

I just tried file-sharing setup between a virtual Win7 machine running in Virtual Box and my Fedora 14 host. It's relatively trivial to set up a share on your host machine. First, shut down the virtual machine, the XP vm in your case. Then, in the VirtualBox Manager window, for your machine, find the item that says "Shared Folders" - clicking on that will give you a wizard that will allow you to set up a shared folder on your Fedora machine that will be seen by your XP virtual machine the next time you run it. When you open up XP the next time, you should be able to open a Windows Explorer window and see the share in the list (in my Win7 Explorer window, the share appeared at the bottom of the tree that started with 'Computer')

So, that's one direction. If you want to be able to move files from your Fedora host to your Virtual XP machine, that's a different story - VNC could be a simple way to do this in addition to the other suggestions you've gotten

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 03-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Genes MailLists

On 03/27/2011 11:58 AM, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sunday, March 27, 2011, Bob Goodwin wrote:
that started with 'Computer')

> So, that's one direction. If you want to be able to move files from your
> Fedora host to your Virtual XP machine, that's a different story - VNC
> could be a simple way to do this in addition to the other suggestions
> you've gotten

shared folders are both ways I think - its just a directory on linux
which you can write or read (pick one in your home directory to ensure
permissions).

Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Claude Jones

On Sunday, March 27, 2011, Genes MailLists wrote:

> *shared folders are both ways I think - its just a directory on

> linux which you can write or read (pick one in your home

> directory to ensure permissions)

I just had a 'duh' moment... Of course - you want to get a file from your Fedora box to your Virtual Windows box, put it in the shared folder (sound of hand smacking forehead).......

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 03-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 27/03/11 11:58, Claude Jones wrote:

> On Sunday, March 27, 2011, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
> > Therein lies my problem, sftp to where? How do I
>
> > address the shared files in the virtual WindowsXP. I even
>
> > copied them to a new directory under the "c" drive designation
>
> > but I can't find the virtual files from here in F14.
>

> > It may be obvious but I don't see it, makes me feel
>
> > dumb!
>

> I just tried file-sharing setup between a virtual Win7 machine running
> in Virtual Box and my Fedora 14 host. It's relatively trivial to set
> up a share on your host machine. First, shut down the virtual machine,
> the XP vm in your case. Then, in the VirtualBox Manager window, for
> your machine, find the item that says "Shared Folders" - clicking on
> that will give you a wizard that will allow you to set up a shared
> folder on your Fedora machine that will be seen by your XP virtual
> machine the next time you run it. When you open up XP the next time,
> you should be able to open a Windows Explorer window and see the share
> in the list (in my Win7 Explorer window, the share appeared at the
> bottom of the tree that started with 'Computer')
>

> So, that's one direction. If you want to be able to move files from
> your Fedora host to your Virtual XP machine, that's a different story
> - VNC could be a simple way to do this in addition to the other
> suggestions you've gotten
>

> --
>
> Claude Jones
>
> Brunswick, MD, USA

I created a folder /home/bobg/winshared in this computer.

Then in virtualbox under "Shared Folders" I entered
/home/bobg/winshared again which it shows as "winshared
/home/bobg/winshared"

In the virtual Windows I think I have tried every possible
combination under shared folders, etc. but to no avail, no files
are transferred to Linux and Windows does not show "winshared"
directory. I can move files around within Windows, even tried
creating a "winshared" directory there. The problem may well be
that I am not dealing with the Windows side properly.

However I'm beginning to think this project is not worth the
effort I am putting into it.

Thanks.

Bob

Old 03-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Steven Stern

On 03/27/2011 01:32 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 27/03/11 11:58, Claude Jones wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday, March 27, 2011, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>> Therein lies my problem, sftp to where? How do I
>>
>>> address the shared files in the virtual WindowsXP. I even
>>
>>> copied them to a new directory under the "c" drive designation
>>
>>> but I can't find the virtual files from here in F14.
>>

>>> It may be obvious but I don't see it, makes me feel
>>
>>> dumb!
>>

>> I just tried file-sharing setup between a virtual Win7 machine running
>> in Virtual Box and my Fedora 14 host. It's relatively trivial to set
>> up a share on your host machine. First, shut down the virtual machine,
>> the XP vm in your case. Then, in the VirtualBox Manager window, for
>> your machine, find the item that says "Shared Folders" - clicking on
>> that will give you a wizard that will allow you to set up a shared
>> folder on your Fedora machine that will be seen by your XP virtual
>> machine the next time you run it. When you open up XP the next time,
>> you should be able to open a Windows Explorer window and see the share
>> in the list (in my Win7 Explorer window, the share appeared at the
>> bottom of the tree that started with 'Computer')
>>

>> So, that's one direction. If you want to be able to move files from
>> your Fedora host to your Virtual XP machine, that's a different story
>> - VNC could be a simple way to do this in addition to the other
>> suggestions you've gotten
>>

>> --
>>
>> Claude Jones
>>
>> Brunswick, MD, USA
>>

> I created a folder /home/bobg/winshared in this computer.
>
> Then in virtualbox under "Shared Folders" I entered
> /home/bobg/winshared again which it shows as "winshared
> /home/bobg/winshared"
>
> In the virtual Windows I think I have tried every possible
> combination under shared folders, etc. but to no avail, no files
> are transferred to Linux and Windows does not show "winshared"
> directory. I can move files around within Windows, even tried
> creating a "winshared" directory there. The problem may well be
> that I am not dealing with the Windows side properly.
>
> However I'm beginning to think this project is not worth the
> effort I am putting into it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob

It should show up as a network drive. What's on D:, E:, etc.?

--
-- Steve

Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Brendan Jones

On 03/28/2011 04:32 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I created a folder /home/bobg/winshared in this computer.
>
> Then in virtualbox under "Shared Folders" I entered
> /home/bobg/winshared again which it shows as "winshared
> /home/bobg/winshared"
In Windows explorer navigate to vboxsvrwinshared

You can also use this to map a permanent network drive in your guest.

HTH

Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 PM
mike cloaked

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:

> * * * *However I'm beginning to think this project is not worth the
> * * * *effort I am putting into it.
>
> * * * *Thanks.
>
> * * * *Bob

Did you have a look at the VirtualBox user manual at:
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#sharedfolders

You should ensure that you have VirtualBox Guest Additions installed
and, if using version 4.0, it is worth installing
VirtualBox_Extension_Pack - how to do it is all in the pages for the
user manual -

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/

Follow those instructions and you should be able to setup a mapped
network drive for a shared folder fairly easily - I have this working
on several machine by following those instructions and it works well.

I presume you are using the Oracle VirtualBox installed from the main
website (you can set up a yum repo file and install it all from yum):
http://www.virtualbox.org/

I hope this helps.
--
mike c