Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM
gerrynix

Default Display "Out of Range"

I've 'inherited' a dozen MSI systems, Intel dual core, 4G RAM
All systems were ordered to be 'identical' from system board
level up, including flat panel display,*to be used in*training
scenarios.

All systems install FC*w/o a hitch in the graphical installation
interface. However, when rebooted,*4 of the systems do not have
video, rather display an "Out of Range" message*on the flat panel.*

On the these offending systems, I can boot-up into single-user mode,
get normal video and can 'snoop around.' I did change initdefault to 3,
yet get the same "Out of Range" error on reboot. Therefore, I can say
with some confidence it is not an X server prob (not started in init 3),
but some config prob between single-user mode and run level 3.

Where do I look?
--
Nix

Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 PM
edik landave

> Where do I look?
> --
> Nix

Try to swap monitors with the others that are working fine, or reset
the monitors to default by playing with the monitor's menus and give
it another try.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
gerrynix

Subject: Re: Display "Out of Range"

> Where do I look?
> --
> Nix

Try to swap monitors with the others that are working fine, or reset
the monitors to default by playing with the monitor's menus and give
it another try.
*************

Thanks . . . Had tried these thinga already. Also swapped hard-drive
from a 'screwy' machine into a 'working one." Still no joy. Something
is configed into the OS . . . just unsure what. Many thanks.
Nix

Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Marvin Kosmal

Hi

Stab in the dark..

Do dmesg, save to file, on a good one and bad one.

Do a compare of files and see if that does anything

HTH

Marvin

On 3/27/11, gerrynix <gerrynix@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Display "Out of Range"
>
>> Where do I look?
>> --
>> Nix
>
> Try to swap monitors with the others that are working fine, or reset
> the monitors to default by playing with the monitor's menus and give
> it another try.
>

> Thanks . . . Had tried these thinga already. Also swapped hard-drive
> from a 'screwy' machine into a 'working one." Still no joy. Something
> is configed into the OS . . . just unsure what. Many thanks.
> Nix

Marvin J. Kosmal

Disclaimer: This email is not intended to provide medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment. Views expressed here do not necessarily
reflect those of Farmer Marvin or any of the hens.