Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Marco Maccaferri

Default Thunderbird tree grouping mode

Hi.

I have recently installed thunderbird 3.1.9 from Remi repository on
Fedora 10 x86/64. It is configured to group discussions as a tree, it
works but sometimes it display a discussion collapsed (only one row in
the message list) and there is no way to expand it. Click on it displays
a summary of all messages, clicking on the arrow does nothing. Clicking
anywhere on the summary does nothing. In short there is no way to see
the actual messages.

When the discussion is expanded, as it should be, the tree arrow works
as expected, collapsing and expanding the tree correctly.

Please forgive me if this isn't the more appropriate mailing list to
post this message to, but I'm not sure what is the cause. It is a
thunderbird issue ? It is something on this Remi release ? More
important, is there a fix or workaround ?

Regards,
Marco

Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 03/25/2011 11:34 AM, Marco Maccaferri wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have recently installed thunderbird 3.1.9 from Remi repository on
> Fedora 10 x86/64. It is configured to group discussions as a tree, it
> works but sometimes it display a discussion collapsed (only one row in
> the message list) and there is no way to expand it. Click on it displays
> a summary of all messages, clicking on the arrow does nothing. Clicking
> anywhere on the summary does nothing. In short there is no way to see
> the actual messages.

When you see the summary page of the unread messages in the thread, you
should be able to click on each message sender to see their message and
implicitly expand the "tree" as you call it....

Here is what the next collapsed thread in my inbox looks like in the
summary page:

> bridged networking setup (4 messages)
>
> Neal Becker 06:45 AM

> compdoc 10:29 AM

> Neal Becker 11:17 AM

> compdoc 11:38 AM

> These messages take up: 20.5 KB.

All I need to do is click on one of the "Neal Becker" or "compdoc"s to
be able to expand the discussion and read the individual message.

Also, in the inbox summary list, I can also click on the triangle in the
Subject: column and it will both expand the thread list and preview the
first message in the thread.

I am running 3.1.9 thunderbird from F14. You are running F10, and old,
out-of-date, and unsupported release. There is no guarantee that the
necessary support libraries are installed on your old system. Nothing
older than F13 is still supported (receiving updates from Fedora).
Upgrade if you can. I sometimes run a release past the end of its
support cycle, but I upgraded my last F10 system to F11, and then F13 a
long time ago....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net

Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Marco Maccaferri

On 25/03/2011 20:42 Kevin J. Cummings ha scritto:

> When you see the summary page of the unread messages in the thread, you
> should be able to click on each message sender to see their message and
> implicitly expand the "tree" as you call it....

No, clicking on the sender does nothing.

> Also, in the inbox summary list, I can also click on the triangle in the
> Subject: column and it will both expand the thread list and preview the
> first message in the thread.

Not working here.

All you said works for most of the grouped discussions, few discussions
however are "locked" there is no way to expand the messages or click
anywhere to have some kind of result. Your message, for example, is
displayed in such a locked tree, the funny thing is that the summary
displays two messages from you, it doesn't list my first message.

> I am running 3.1.9 thunderbird from F14. You are running F10, and old,
> out-of-date, and unsupported release. There is no guarantee that the
> necessary support libraries are installed on your old system. Nothing
> older than F13 is still supported (receiving updates from Fedora).
> Upgrade if you can. I sometimes run a release past the end of its
> support cycle, but I upgraded my last F10 system to F11, and then F13 a
> long time ago....

I know it is an old and unsupported release, it took time to configure
it to my needs and I'm too lazy to install a new version and do all the
configurations again.

Oh well, maybe it is just something too old here, I can live with
thunderbird 2 for my needs. Sometimes in the future I'll do a full update.

Regards,
Marco.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Genes MailLists

On 03/26/2011 06:03 AM, Marco Maccaferri wrote:
> On 25/03/2011 20:42 Kevin J. Cummings ha scritto:

onfigurations again.

> Oh well, maybe it is just something too old here, I can live with
> thunderbird 2 for my needs. Sometimes in the future I'll do a full update.
>
> Regards,
> Marco.

you could try downloading thunderbird direct from mozilla - it is self
contained and can be installed in your home dir (or /opt/blabla )

You may have better joy ...

Old 03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Steven Stern

On 03/25/2011 10:34 AM, Marco Maccaferri wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have recently installed thunderbird 3.1.9 from Remi repository on
> Fedora 10 x86/64. It is configured to group discussions as a tree, it
> works but sometimes it display a discussion collapsed (only one row in
> the message list) and there is no way to expand it. Click on it displays
> a summary of all messages, clicking on the arrow does nothing. Clicking
> anywhere on the summary does nothing. In short there is no way to see
> the actual messages.
>
> When the discussion is expanded, as it should be, the tree arrow works
> as expected, collapsing and expanding the tree correctly.
>
> Please forgive me if this isn't the more appropriate mailing list to
> post this message to, but I'm not sure what is the cause. It is a
> thunderbird issue ? It is something on this Remi release ? More
> important, is there a fix or workaround ?
>
> Regards,
> Marco

When the tree view gets munged, it may mean that the index for that
folder is compromised (i.e., fubar'd). To solve it you can either right
click on the folder, select Properties, then click "rebuild index" or,
with Thunderbird closed, find the right directory under ~/.thunderbird
and delete the .msf file associated with that folder.

--
-- Steve