Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Fernando Cassia

Default Linux on ARM tablets?

I'm not familiar with modern tablets. I only own a 4 years old Nokia
N800, -which is more like a larger Linux PDA used sideways- before the
"tablets" market and craze even existed.

So, I'm not sure about what media the OS stored in on modern Android
tablets. Do those feature flash memory chips soldered on the main
board? SD slots? compactflash with IDE controller?.

Having said that, I wonder if anyone tried installing linux on tablets
that otherwise run Android or other OSs?

I'm giving serious thought to buying a RIM Playbook, but I'm not sure
I'll be comfortable with QNX

The CPU is confirmed to be a dual-core TI ARM.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Blackberry-PlayBook-CPU-Confirmed-1GHz-Dual-core-TI-OMAP4430-177205.shtml

So what are the chances of RIM making it easy to replace the OS with Fedora/ARM?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM

I really, really would like to see RedHat putting some effort into
seeing Fedora running on modern tablets... if only for OS mindshare
and promotional purposes...

FC

Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 AM
Linuxguy123

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 19:55 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> I really, really would like to see RedHat putting some effort into
> seeing Fedora running on modern tablets...

+1 on this. Especially now that I have lost all confidence in Meego
and Google seems to share less and less of Android.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Zoltan Hoppar

Hey Guys,

I think we have a bunch of opportunity. We have free different UI's,
we had once the OpenMoko (and the full documentation still exists) -
and even we could try to run a full gnome 3 on mobile UI. After I have
seen many things, including Motorola's Atrix, and the MoDu (modular
phone leading by an engineer from Sandisk), and even low power
consuming modular ARM based servers, I don't understand why don't
have Red Hat support to MIPS, ARM platforms.

The most of the new generation phones are mostly becoming an tiny
universal server (with multiple cores) in the pocket digged deeply
into the cloud services. This it what we have to follow, and I think
we fedorians have several advantage already. We have an company
behind who are pro in between servers, and cloud and virtualisation,
right? Imagene this on mobile platform.... Take out your phone from
your pocket, and you could set up immediatelly an servers chained up
in network, and works as router, firewall, samba share and more....

I think we have to look for broadcom, who is already member of the
linux foundation, ask them, to let to use their chipsets, and let to
us pull up an Fedora on it as complete solution.... What do you think
guys, shall we dance?

Cheers,

Zoltan
Nokia employee
Fedora Ambassador

2011/3/25 Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 19:55 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> I really, really would like to see RedHat putting some effort into
>> seeing Fedora running on modern tablets...
>
> +1 on this. * Especially now that I have lost all confidence in Meego
> and Google seems to share less and less of Android.

PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 03-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Linuxguy123

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 10:06 +0100, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I think we have a bunch of opportunity. We have free different UI's,
> we had once the OpenMoko (and the full documentation still exists) -
> and even we could try to run a full gnome 3 on mobile UI. After I have
> seen many things, including Motorola's Atrix, and the MoDu (modular
> phone leading by an engineer from Sandisk), and even low power
> consuming modular ARM based servers, I don't understand why don't
> have Red Hat support to MIPS, ARM platforms.
>
> The most of the new generation phones are mostly becoming an tiny
> universal server (with multiple cores) in the pocket digged deeply
> into the cloud services. This it what we have to follow, and I think
> we fedorians have several advantage already. We have an company
> behind who are pro in between servers, and cloud and virtualisation,
> right? Imagene this on mobile platform.... Take out your phone from
> your pocket, and you could set up immediatelly an servers chained up
> in network, and works as router, firewall, samba share and more....

I am a huge, huge fan of something Fedora-esque on "mobile" devices. I
love the vision you are presenting.

I'd love to see some sort of convergence of Meego with Fedora.

Redhat might have $1B in revenue, but I think they are missing something
equally large in the mobile device market. I'm not sure how they would
harness the revenue stream, but given what Nokia is paying M$oft for
whatever they call their mobile operating system, I'm sure its possible
to do.

FWIW, I own an N900. I bought it expecting it would one day run Meego.

LG

Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@gmail.com> wrote:
> Redhat might have $1B in revenue, but I think they are missing something
> equally large in the mobile device market

Exactly my thoughts. Thereīs an opportunity if only to "advance the
bleeding edge Linux" and position the Red Hat and Fedora names
associated with "bleeding edge stuff" namely, tablets.

It doesnīt have to be a commercial product, because if it becomes one
itīll be immediately subject to the press and the pundits labeling it
a "failure" or compare it to the established Android OS.

This positioning is key. By being just a "pilot" or a "technology
reference", it allows RedHat / Fedora to test the waters, advance the
platform (Linux on tablets) and at the same time please us, the geeks.

The way I dream it, a "Fedora Tablet Edition" would allow downloading
it and reflashing the OS on popular tablets (Samsungīs Galaxy Tab, the
HP TouchPad, or the RIMīs Playbook), and replace it with "Fedora
Tablet Edition". "As is" of course.

If one day the project becomes good enough, then surely tablet makers
will select it for pre-installation into the devices.

Technically, if you think about it, all tablets are ARM based systems
with touch screen and wi-fi. Iīm not sure there would be huge
differences, from the point of view of the underlying hardware drivers
needed.

Just my $0.02
FC

Old 03-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Genes MailLists

On 03/25/2011 02:26 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@gmail.com> wrote:

> It doesnīt have to be a commercial product, because if it becomes one
> itīll be immediately subject to the press and the pundits labeling it
> a "failure" or compare it to the established Android OS.

..

> The way I dream it, a "Fedora Tablet Edition" would allow downloading
> it and reflashing the OS on popular tablets (Samsungīs Galaxy Tab, the
> HP TouchPad, or the RIMīs Playbook), and replace it with "Fedora
> Tablet Edition". "As is" of course.

What is the commercial reason to do this then? I understand what -you-
want - but redhat needs to have a business reason to leverage this -
like RHEL derives from fedora ...

Unless there's a rational business plan it makes no sense to sponsor
this ... think like a businessperson ...

Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:

> *Unless there's a rational business plan it makes no sense to sponsor
> this ... think like a businessperson ..

Is mindshare and brand promotion not a reason enough? If you have
hundreds of thousands of people talking about your brand world-wide,
isntīt there any economic value or benefit from this?.

H*ck Iīve read about firms paying bloggers and/or twitter users to
write good things about a certain brand...

Also, what part of "initially" didnīt you understand?. IF the project
takes off, tablet manufacturers might choose to install it. Just like
Ubuntu didnīt make any money at first, and then one day Dell choose to
preinstall it.

To me, the beneits are evident. Just like not everything Microsoft
does generates a profit inmediately, but has the long-term goal of
having people talk about the brand and the windows software ecosystem.

Specially if the required investment is relatively minuscule, compared
to the firmīs overall R+D budget. Iīm not talking about porting Fedora
to ARM. Thatīs been already done, so the work would be mostly
packaging and buying one of each of these popular tablets and find
what devices-features might need tweaking or drivers (say, for
accelerometers).

FC

Old 03-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Joel Rees

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 4:37 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:
>
>> Unless there's a rational business plan it makes no sense to sponsor
>> this ... think like a businessperson ..
>
> Is mindshare and brand promotion not a reason enough? If you have
> hundreds of thousands of people talking about your brand world-wide,
> isntīt there any economic value or benefit from this?.
>
> H*ck Iīve read about firms paying bloggers and/or twitter users to
> write good things about a certain brand...
>
> Also, what part of "initially" didnīt you understand?. IF the project
> takes off, tablet manufacturers might choose to install it. Just like
> Ubuntu didnīt make any money at first, and then one day Dell choose to
> preinstall it.
>
> To me, the beneits are evident. Just like not everything Microsoft
> does generates a profit inmediately, but has the long-term goal of
> having people talk about the brand and the windows software ecosystem.
>
> Specially if the required investment is relatively minuscule, compared
> to the firmīs overall R+D budget. Iīm not talking about porting Fedora
> to ARM. Thatīs been already done, so the work would be mostly
> packaging and buying one of each of these popular tablets and find
> what devices-features might need tweaking or drivers (say, for
> accelerometers).

Okay, so you know that ARM is a secondary ARCH in Fedora. You're just
wanting someone with a bit of spare money (quite a bit, really) to
start making hardware with Fedora pre-installed.

If I ever win the lottery, that's one of the things I want to do. (But
I don't play the lottery, so the odds of that are less than really
low. Sorry. :-/ )

Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Linuxguy123

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 15:20 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> What is the commercial reason to do this then? I understand what -you-
> want - but redhat needs to have a business reason to leverage this -
> like RHEL derives from fedora ...
>
> Unless there's a rational business plan it makes no sense to sponsor
> this ... think like a businessperson ...

Well... given the demise of Meego, more or less, and the pending demise
of Symbian and the fact that Nokia just signed a deal with the software
devil to use Windows on their handsets, I think there is a huge
opportunity for Redhat to go after the mobile device market. Just look
at the success of Android. A lot of players in the mobile market would
love to partner with someone other than Google.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Alan Cox

> Well... given the demise of Meego, more or less, and the pending demise

Meego isn't dead.

> of Symbian and the fact that Nokia just signed a deal with the software
> devil to use Windows on their handsets, I think there is a huge
> opportunity for Redhat to go after the mobile device market. Just look
> at the success of Android. A lot of players in the mobile market would
> love to partner with someone other than Google.

So you've got a business plan - you know what to do.

Seriously if you want ARM tablet support in Fedora build a Fedora for ARM
tablet (or at least a tablet of choice as you'll probably need a lot of
one off driver/kernel bits and customisation per board).

The Debian folks run on one of the tablets already.

Alan