FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Tom H
 
Default rename flash drive auto mount point

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Howard <how0909@freeshell.org> wrote:
>
> *Hi, I am running Fedora 13/gnome
>
> When I insert my 8g flash drive it is mounted on:
>
> mount
> ...
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/_body
>
> How the heck did it come up with that name: _body

Check the label of the flash drive.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Howard
 
Default rename flash drive auto mount point

Hi, I am running Fedora 13/gnome
When I insert my 8g flash drive it is mounted on:

mount
...
/dev/sdb1 on /media/_body>
<_ht type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=500,gid=500,sh ortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)

How the heck did it come up with that name: _body>
<_ht

How can I fix it?

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default rename flash drive auto mount point

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 15:41 -0400, Howard wrote:
> Hi, I am running Fedora 13/gnome
> When I insert my 8g flash drive it is mounted on:
>
> mount
> ...
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/_body>
> <_ht type vfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=500,gid=500,sh ortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)
>
> How the heck did it come up with that name: _body>
> <_ht
>
> How can I fix it?
>

As Tom indicated _body is the name of your drive. The manufacturer or
the last program you ran to place files on the usb gave it that name.

In my case my Fedora 14 liveusb is named FEDORA.
But I am confused by the output you show for the mount command. Compare
it to the output of the mount on my machine. Where did the >< come from
in your output. Is the name of your usb drive _body><

/dev/sdb1 on /media/FEDORA type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=500,gid=500,sh ortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)
--
================================================== =====================
"When the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to treat everything
as if it were a nail." -- Abraham Maslow
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Howard
 
Default rename flash drive auto mount point

> Is the name of your usb drive _body>< /

not quite , it's:

"_body>//
<_ht"

...with the newline.
It looks like it's been snipped from the end of an html file except for
the underscores.

I am surprised that the programmers allow this kind of naming.
I think allowing spaces in file names is wrong too.
Apparently they feel the need to "keep up with the Joneses.

I found a semi solution using mtools which I left a in a page here:

http://how0909.freeshell.org/linux/rename_flash_automount.txt

But I'm still looking for others.

I think that there is probably a udev rule or something to find and edit
which would be the right way to fix this (I guess).

Thanks for the interest.





/
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default rename flash drive auto mount point

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 22:52 -0400, Howard wrote:
> > Is the name of your usb drive _body>< /
>
> not quite , it's:
>
> "_body>//
> <_ht"
>
> ...with the newline.
> It looks like it's been snipped from the end of an html file except for
> the underscores.
>
> I am surprised that the programmers allow this kind of naming.
> I think allowing spaces in file names is wrong too.
> Apparently they feel the need to "keep up with the Joneses.
>
> I found a semi solution using mtools which I left a in a page here:
>
> http://how0909.freeshell.org/linux/rename_flash_automount.txt
>
> But I'm still looking for others.
>
> I think that there is probably a udev rule or something to find and edit
> which would be the right way to fix this (I guess).
>
> Thanks for the interest.
I am confused. I can't find a mlabel command with an -i option that
works as the mlabel command in the webpage listed above.

Also the command xsetwacom seems from the man page to do what you want
but I have not really tried it.


--
================================================== =====================
Department chairmen never die, they just lose their faculties.
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Howard
 
Default rename flash drive auto mount point

On 03/25/2011 10:45 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I can't find a mlabel command with an -i option that
> works as the mlabel command in the webpage listed above.
Yes I saw nothing in man mlabel but there is a bit in mtools
Something about disk image.

I used the command as shown it the ubuntu page referenced in my page.

Without the -i it does not work :
(with the flash plugged in, mounted or umounted but still assigned to sdb1 )

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::
Volume label is FLASH_8GB

root hbin> mlabel /dev/sdb1 -s ::
Mtools version 4.0.12, dated November 3rd, 2009
Usage: mlabel [-vscVn] [-N serial] drive:

root hbin> mlabel /dev/sdb1 ::
Mtools version 4.0.12, dated November 3rd, 2009
Usage: mlabel [-vscVn] [-N serial] drive:

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::
Volume label is FLASH_8GB
Enter the new volume label :
Delete volume label (y/n): y

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::
Volume has no label

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::
Volume has no label
Enter the new volume label : FLASH_8GB

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::
Volume label is FLASH_8GB

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::0123456789

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::
Volume label is 0123456789

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::01234567890

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::
Volume label is 01234567890

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::0123456789012345

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::
Volume label is 01234567890

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::FLASH_8GB

root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::FLASH_8GB
Volume label is FLASH_8GB
> Also the command xsetwacom seems from the man page to do what you want
> but I have not really tried it.
I think that is for x devices.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default rename flash drive auto mount point

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 16:22 -0400, Howard wrote:
> On 03/25/2011 10:45 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I can't find a mlabel command with an -i option that
> > works as the mlabel command in the webpage listed above.
> Yes I saw nothing in man mlabel but there is a bit in mtools
> Something about disk image.
>
> I used the command as shown it the ubuntu page referenced in my page.
>
> Without the -i it does not work :
> (with the flash plugged in, mounted or umounted but still assigned to sdb1 )
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::
> Volume label is FLASH_8GB
>
> root hbin> mlabel /dev/sdb1 -s ::
> Mtools version 4.0.12, dated November 3rd, 2009
> Usage: mlabel [-vscVn] [-N serial] drive:
>
> root hbin> mlabel /dev/sdb1 ::
> Mtools version 4.0.12, dated November 3rd, 2009
> Usage: mlabel [-vscVn] [-N serial] drive:
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::
> Volume label is FLASH_8GB
> Enter the new volume label :
> Delete volume label (y/n): y
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::
> Volume has no label
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::
> Volume has no label
> Enter the new volume label : FLASH_8GB
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::
> Volume label is FLASH_8GB
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::0123456789
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::
> Volume label is 0123456789
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::01234567890
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::
> Volume label is 01234567890
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::0123456789012345
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::
> Volume label is 01234567890
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::FLASH_8GB
>
> root hbin> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::FLASH_8GB
> Volume label is FLASH_8GB
> > Also the command xsetwacom seems from the man page to do what you want
> > but I have not really tried it.
> I think that is for x devices.
>

Look I don't want to be difficult. But this is a Fedora list and the
command mlabel that you are using does not exist in Fedora 14. So your
information about changing usb drive labels using mlabel -i
is useless to Fedora users.
--
================================================== =====================
A pain in the ass of major dimensions. -- C.A. Desoer, on the solution
of non-linear circuits
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Tom H
 
Default rename flash drive auto mount point

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Look I don't want to be difficult. But this is a Fedora list and the
> command mlabel that you are using does not exist in Fedora 14. So your
> information about changing usb drive labels using mlabel -i
> is useless to Fedora users.

Run "yum whatprovides */mlabel" on F14...
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Carroll Grigsby
 
Default rename flash drive auto mount point

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:33:34 -0500
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 16:22 -0400, Howard wrote:
> > On 03/25/2011 10:45 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > I can't find a mlabel command with an -i option that
> > > works as the mlabel command in the webpage listed above.
> > Yes I saw nothing in man mlabel but there is a bit in mtools
> > Something about disk image.

>>> whack

> Look I don't want to be difficult. But this is a Fedora list and the
> command mlabel that you are using does not exist in Fedora 14. So your
> information about changing usb drive labels using mlabel -i
> is useless to Fedora users.

Mlabel is part of mtools, and must be included in the
standard Fedora installation, since I don't recall installing it.

-- cmg
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-25-2011, 08:05 PM
mike cloaked
 
Default rename flash drive auto mount point

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Look I don't want to be difficult. But this is a Fedora list and the
> command mlabel that you are using does not exist in Fedora 14. So your
> information about changing usb drive labels using mlabel -i
> is useless to Fedora users.

Interesting - I am running Fedora 14 - a couple of commands in a
terminal are reproduced here:
[mike@home1 ~]$ uname -r
2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686.PAE

[mike@home1 ~]$ man mlabel

gives:

mlabel(1) mlabel(1)

Name
mlabel - make an MSDOS volume label

Note of warning
This manpage has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo
documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete. See the
end of this man page for details.

Description
The mlabel command adds a volume label to a disk. Its syntax is:
mlabel [-vcsn] [-N serial] drive:[new_label]

Mlabel displays the current volume label, if present. If new_label is
not given, and if neither the c nor the s options are set, it prompts
the user for a new volume label. To delete an existing volume label,
press return at the prompt.

Reasonable care is taken to create a valid MS-DOS volume label. If an
invalid label is specified, mlabel changes the label (and displays the
new label if the verbose mode is set). Mlabel returns 0 on success or 1
on failure.

plus more on succeeding pages!

--
mike c
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:11 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org