Old 03-24-2011, 02:03 PM
johhny_at_poland77

Default Where is the new RESOLV.conf file?

Fedora 14:

If I:

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
$

where can i set the nameservers (so I don't have to set them after a reboot), if the NetworkManager rewrites them in the "/etc/resolv.conf"?

Thank you!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Steven Stern

On 03/24/2011 10:03 AM, johhny_at_poland77 wrote:
> Fedora 14:
>
> If I:
>
> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Generated by NetworkManager
> nameserver 8.8.8.8
> nameserver 8.8.4.4
> $
>
> where can i set the nameservers (so I don't have to set them after a reboot), if the NetworkManager rewrites them in the "/etc/resolv.conf"?
>
> Thank you!

Open NetworkManager by right clicking on the network manager icon in the
system tray and select "Edit Connections". Select the connection in
question, click EDIT, click in the IPv4 tab, and enter the DHS servers.
Click SAVE.

--
-- Steve

Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 PM
johhny_at_poland77

sorry, i meant with command line, not by clicking :

---- Be Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:32:54 -0700 Steven Stern rta ----

Old 03-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Michael Cronenworth

johhny_at_poland77 wrote:
> sorry, i meant with command line, not by clicking :

Edit the traditional network interface configuration file. For eth0 it
would be:

The DNS options are like this:
DNS1=4.2.2.1
DNS2=4.2.2.2
DNS3=

You may or may not have those options already present.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Steven Stern

On 03/24/2011 10:57 AM, johhny_at_poland77 wrote:
> sorry, i meant with command line, not by clicking :
>
> ---- Be Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:32:54 -0700 Steven Stern *rta ----
>
>> On 03/24/2011 10:03 AM, johhny_at_poland77 wrote:
>>> Fedora 14:
>>>
>>> If I:
>>>
>>> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>>> # Generated by NetworkManager
>>> nameserver 8.8.8.8
>>> nameserver 8.8.4.4
>>> $
>>>
>>> where can i set the nameservers (so I don't have to set them after a reboot), if the NetworkManager rewrites them in the "/etc/resolv.conf"?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>

>> Open NetworkManager by right clicking on the network manager icon in the
>> system tray and select "Edit Connections". Select the connection in
>> question, click EDIT, click in the IPv4 tab, and enter the DHS servers.
>> Click SAVE.
>>
>> --
Both nmcli and cnetworkmanager don't seem to modify settings. You can
always edit the right files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

--
-- Steve

Old 03-25-2011, 12:13 AM
"Mark C. Allman"

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 11:28 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 03/24/2011 10:57 AM, johhny_at_poland77 wrote:
> > sorry, i meant with command line, not by clicking :
> >
> > ---- Be Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:32:54 -0700 Steven Stern *rta ----

> >> Open NetworkManager by right clicking on the network manager icon in the
> >> system tray and select "Edit Connections". Select the connection in
> >> question, click EDIT, click in the IPv4 tab, and enter the DHS servers.
> >> Click SAVE.
> >>
> >> --
> Both nmcli and cnetworkmanager don't seem to modify settings. You can
> always edit the right files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
>
> --
> -- Steve

If you're talking to a DHCP server then shouldn't NetworkManager be
getting the DNS information from there? When NetworkManager switches
connections I thought it updated resolv.conf from whatever DHCP server
it talked to.

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM

Old 03-25-2011, 01:49 AM
John Mellor

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 21:13 -0400, Mark C. Allman wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 11:28 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> > On 03/24/2011 10:57 AM, johhny_at_poland77 wrote:
> > > sorry, i meant with command line, not by clicking :
> > >
> > > ---- Be Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:32:54 -0700 Steven Stern *rta ----

> > Both nmcli and cnetworkmanager don't seem to modify settings. You can
> > always edit the right files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> >
> If you're talking to a DHCP server then shouldn't NetworkManager be
> getting the DNS information from there? When NetworkManager switches
> connections I thought it updated resolv.conf from whatever DHCP server
> it talked to.

No, that is only a common but special case for hosts at the edge of a
network, such as a workstation. The most common exceptions to this
would be:
1) situations where I want my own DNS, not my providers
2) situations where I am sitting between 2 networks, which DNS field
should I take?
3) it is not required that DHCP provide me DNS fields - that is a
commonly configured field only
4) situations where I do not want DNS to preempt local sources like
FILES.