-   -   Firefox 4 ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/505058-firefox-4-a.html)

Jim 03-24-2011 12:04 PM

Firefox 4 ?

When will Firefox 4 be coming to Fedora 14 ?

Steven Stern 03-24-2011 12:43 PM

Firefox 4 ?

On 03/24/2011 08:04 AM, Jim wrote:
> When will Firefox 4 be coming to Fedora 14 ?

It works very well. Download from mozilla.org and put it in ~/firefox.
Run it from there and set it to be your default browser and that's that.

--
-- Steve

"Kevin J. Cummings" 03-24-2011 12:47 PM

Firefox 4 ?

On 03/24/2011 09:04 AM, Jim wrote:
> When will Firefox 4 be coming to Fedora 14 ?

I am running it from the REMI repo.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net

Ranjan Maitra 03-24-2011 12:53 PM

Firefox 4 ?

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:47:56 -0500 "Kevin J. Cummings"
<cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> On 03/24/2011 09:04 AM, Jim wrote:
> > When will Firefox 4 be coming to Fedora 14 ?
>
> I am running it from the REMI repo.

I believe that the question may have been when it will be available
from the updates repo?

Ranjan

唐国华 03-24-2011 02:27 PM

Firefox 4 ?

The fedora wiki says that Firefox 4 won't be in the official repository for Fedora 14.
I am also running it from the REMI repo.

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:47:56 -0500 "Kevin J. Cummings"

<cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> On 03/24/2011 09:04 AM, Jim wrote:

> > When will Firefox 4 be coming to Fedora 14 ?

> I am running it from the REMI repo.

I believe that the question may have been when it will be available

from the updates repo?

Ranjan

> --

> Kevin J. Cummings

> kjchome@verizon.net

> cummings@kjchome.homeip.net

> cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us

> Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)

Guohua Tang
Research Center for Information Retrieval, Harbin Institute of Technology
ir.hit.edu.cn/~tangguohua --- icycandy.com

Tony Foster 05-02-2011 03:21 PM

Firefox 4 ?

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 08:43 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 03/24/2011 08:04 AM, Jim wrote:
> > When will Firefox 4 be coming to Fedora 14 ?
>
> It works very well. Download from mozilla.org and put it in ~/firefox.
> Run it from there and set it to be your default browser and that's that.
>
> --
> -- Steve

When I unpacked the download none of the shell files were executable.
I assume that I need to add executable permission to some of the
executable files to run from home directory?

--
Tony Foster

email = tfLinuxMail@surewest.net

Remember Ignorance can be fixed
Stupid is forever

Antonio M 05-02-2011 03:22 PM

Firefox 4 ?

2011/5/2 Tony Foster <tfLinuxMail@surewest.net>:
> On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 08:43 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
>> On 03/24/2011 08:04 AM, Jim wrote:
>> > When will Firefox 4 be coming to Fedora 14 ?
>>
>> It works very well. Download from mozilla.org and put it in ~/firefox.
>> Run it from there and set it to be your default browser and that's that.
>>
>> --
>> -- Steve
>
> When I unpacked the download none of the shell files were executable.
> I assume that I need to add executable permission to some of the
> executable files to run from home directory?
>
> --
> Tony Foster
>
> email = tfLinuxMail@surewest.net
>
> Remember Ignorance can be fixed
> Stupid is forever

Updated to 4.01 yesterday using Remy Collet repo. It works great
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

suvayu ali 05-02-2011 03:23 PM

Firefox 4 ?

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Tony Foster <tfLinuxMail@surewest.net> wrote:
> When I unpacked the download none of the shell files were executable.
> I assume that I need to add executable permission to some of the
> executable files to run from home directory?

There should be an executable file called firefox/firefox. Just use that.

--
Suvayu

Jorge Fbregas 05-02-2011 03:35 PM

Firefox 4 ?

On 05/02/2011 11:22 AM, Antonio M wrote:
> Updated to 4.01 yesterday using Remy Collet repo. It works great

Indeed and previously I had 4.0 (also from Remi) since this thread
started. Since then, I haven't' had a single crash with Firefox 4 (I'm
on Fedora 14). I'm really impressed with the quality of Firefox 4.

--
Jorge

Suvayu Ali 05-03-2011 03:19 PM

Firefox 4 ?

Hi Tony.

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Tony Foster <tfLinuxMail@surewest.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 08:23 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
>> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Tony Foster <tfLinuxMail@surewest.net> wrote:
>> > When I unpacked the download none of the shell files were executable.
>> > I assume that I need to add executable permission to some of the
>> > executable files to run from home directory?
>> >

>> There should be an executable file called firefox/firefox. Just use that.
>>
> I did find several shell scripts in the Firefox directory.
> NONE were executable.

Are you sure you have the tarball from a reliable source? When I open a
tarball from this[1] Mozilla mirror, I find shell scripts and shared
libraries with proper file permissions inside.

firefox-4.0.1.tar.bz2:

> -rwxr-xr-x 1054392 firefox/libnss3.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 10597 firefox/run-mozilla.sh
> -rwxr-xr-x 49464 firefox/plugin-container
> -rwxr-xr-x 58008 firefox/crashreporter
> -rwxr-xr-x 29863832 firefox/libxul.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 111392 firefox/libnssutil3.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 57248 firefox/firefox-bin
> -rwxr-xr-x 421536 firefox/libfreebl3.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 156744 firefox/libsmime3.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 608992 firefox/libmozsqlite3.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 153696 firefox/libnssdbm3.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 238320 firefox/libnspr4.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 206608 firefox/libssl3.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 12088 firefox/libplds4.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 513168 firefox/libnssckbi.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 3916 firefox/firefox
> -rwxr-xr-x 73104 firefox/updater
> -rwxr-xr-x 16432 firefox/libxpcom.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 182648 firefox/components/libbrowsercomps.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 29936 firefox/components/libdbusservice.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 41840 firefox/components/libnkgnomevfs.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 47104 firefox/components/libmozgnome.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 15776 firefox/mozilla-xremote-client
> -rwxr-xr-x 242208 firefox/libsoftokn3.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 16904 firefox/libplc4.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 7584 firefox/libmozalloc.so

> --
> Tony Foster