Old 05-03-2011, 04:31 PM
jarmo

Default Firefox 4 ?

Suvayu Ali kirjoitti tiistai, 3. toukokuuta 2011 18:19:11:

> [1]
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/

How about try Remi's package? Updates 3.6 FF. If I understood, FF4
is not coming for FC14? So that solves problem ?

http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en

Jarmo

Old 05-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Tony Foster

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 08:19 -0700, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hi Tony.
>
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Tony Foster <tfLinuxMail@surewest.net> wrote:

> firefox-4.0.1.tar.bz2:
>
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1054392 firefox/libnss3.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 10597 firefox/run-mozilla.sh
> > -rwxr-xr-x 49464 firefox/plugin-container
> > -rwxr-xr-x 58008 firefox/crashreporter
> > -rwxr-xr-x 29863832 firefox/libxul.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 111392 firefox/libnssutil3.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 57248 firefox/firefox-bin
> > -rwxr-xr-x 421536 firefox/libfreebl3.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 156744 firefox/libsmime3.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 608992 firefox/libmozsqlite3.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 153696 firefox/libnssdbm3.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 238320 firefox/libnspr4.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 206608 firefox/libssl3.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 12088 firefox/libplds4.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 513168 firefox/libnssckbi.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 3916 firefox/firefox
> > -rwxr-xr-x 73104 firefox/updater
> > -rwxr-xr-x 16432 firefox/libxpcom.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 182648 firefox/components/libbrowsercomps.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 29936 firefox/components/libdbusservice.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 41840 firefox/components/libnkgnomevfs.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 47104 firefox/components/libmozgnome.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 15776 firefox/mozilla-xremote-client
> > -rwxr-xr-x 242208 firefox/libsoftokn3.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 16904 firefox/libplc4.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 7584 firefox/libmozalloc.so

> Hope this helps
>
> Footnotes:
>
> [1] http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/

So interesting data. I did download from Mozilla.org and the tar ball
has execute permissions when I list it. That was silly to not check the
tar ball.
I will unpack again and check it. My umask appears to be set properly.
tf
--
Tony Foster

email = Tony_Foster@surewest.net

Remember Ignorance can be fixed
Stupid is forever

Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 19:31 +0300, jarmo wrote:
> Suvayu Ali kirjoitti tiistai, 3. toukokuuta 2011 18:19:11:
>
> > [1]
> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/
>
> How about try Remi's package? Updates 3.6 FF. If I understood, FF4
> is not coming for FC14? So that solves problem ?
>
> http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en
>
> Jarmo

Actually, after being bugged when I opened firefox-3.6-17 to download
firefox4 , I did it. I got access to a video to show how it worked. But
the video showed a version of firefox4 that was different than the one
I downloaded. For example it had a tab labeled firefox in the upper left
corner and a star on the right side. The version downloaded did not.
So I suspect we won't see all the functionality that should be there.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Konstantin Svist

On 05/03/2011 02:54 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Actually, after being bugged when I opened firefox-3.6-17 to download
> firefox4 , I did it. I got access to a video to show how it worked. But
> the video showed a version of firefox4 that was different than the one
> I downloaded. For example it had a tab labeled firefox in the upper left
> corner and a star on the right side. The version downloaded did not.
> So I suspect we won't see all the functionality that should be there.

The Firefox team decided to keep the UI consistent to the OS, instead of
consistent to itself. In other words, Linux flavor of Firefox doesn't
look exactly like same version on Windows.
The video simply shows the lowest common denominator, which is Windows.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Athmane Madjoudj

On 05/03/2011 11:09 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> On 05/03/2011 02:54 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> The Firefox team decided to keep the UI consistent to the OS, instead of
> consistent to itself. In other words, Linux flavor of Firefox doesn't
> look exactly like same version on Windows.
> The video simply shows the lowest common denominator, which is Windows.

IIRC, hiding the 'menu bar' gives you the 'Firefox menu' .

--
Athmane Madjoudj
RHCE

Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Ed Greshko

On 05/04/2011 05:54 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 19:31 +0300, jarmo wrote:
>> Suvayu Ali kirjoitti tiistai, 3. toukokuuta 2011 18:19:11:
>>
>>> [1]
>> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/
>>
>> How about try Remi's package? Updates 3.6 FF. If I understood, FF4
>> is not coming for FC14? So that solves problem ?
>>
>> http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en
>>
>> Jarmo
> Actually, after being bugged when I opened firefox-3.6-17 to download
> firefox4 , I did it. I got access to a video to show how it worked. But
> the video showed a version of firefox4 that was different than the one
> I downloaded. For example it had a tab labeled firefox in the upper left
> corner and a star on the right side. The version downloaded did not.
> So I suspect we won't see all the functionality that should be there.

If you want the "tab" in the upper left all you have to do is:

Got to "View--->Toolbars" and un-check "Menu Bar"

Ed

--
Mother told me to be good but she's been wrong before. 葛斯克 愛德華 /
台北市八德路四段

Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 PM
suvayu ali

Hi,

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 9:31 AM, jarmo <oh1mrr@nic.fi> wrote:
> Suvayu Ali kirjoitti tiistai, 3. toukokuuta 2011 18:19:11:
>
>> [1]
> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/
>
> How about try Remi's package? Updates 3.6 FF. If I understood, FF4
> is not coming for FC14? So that solves problem ?
>
> http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en

I have been meaning to ask this for a while, I used the tarball when I
was using Minefield (FF nightlies). After FF4 was released I wanted to
switch to a yum repo and I found two options:

- Tom "spot" Callaway's repo on fedorapeople
- Remi's repo

Spot's repo was recommended on the Fedora wiki so I went with that. Is
there any preference among the two? I don't recall receiving any updates
from that repo. So I was wondering which is more up to date? Or has
there been no updates to firefox4 since its release?

> Jarmo

Thanks

--
Suvayu

Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Konstantin Svist

On 05/03/2011 03:21 PM, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
> On 05/03/2011 11:09 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:
>> On 05/03/2011 02:54 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> The Firefox team decided to keep the UI consistent to the OS, instead of
>> consistent to itself. In other words, Linux flavor of Firefox doesn't
>> look exactly like same version on Windows.
>> The video simply shows the lowest common denominator, which is Windows.
>>
> IIRC, hiding the 'menu bar' gives you the 'Firefox menu' .

Yes, but it still won't look quite the same as Windows version. But you
won't hear me complaining. After getting over the same confusion Aaron
had, I decided that was the right design choice after all.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 15:09 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> On 05/03/2011 02:54 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > Actually, after being bugged when I opened firefox-3.6-17 to download
> > firefox4 , I did it. I got access to a video to show how it worked. But
> > the video showed a version of firefox4 that was different than the one
> > I downloaded. For example it had a tab labeled firefox in the upper left
> > corner and a star on the right side. The version downloaded did not.
> > So I suspect we won't see all the functionality that should be there.
>
> The Firefox team decided to keep the UI consistent to the OS, instead of
> consistent to itself. In other words, Linux flavor of Firefox doesn't
> look exactly like same version on Windows.
> The video simply shows the lowest common denominator, which is Windows.

I accept that that but doing that makes it harder for Linux users to see
how the new features work. What is even stranger the look (and possibily
of functionality) seems the same as firefox-3.6-17.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:08 AM
jarmo

suvayu ali kirjoitti keskiviikko, 4. toukokuuta 2011 01:27:51:

> there any preference among the two? I don't recall receiving any
updates
> from that repo. So I was wondering which is more up to date? Or
has
> there been no updates to firefox4 since its release?

> Thanks

I have Remi's package in use and version is 4.0.1.

Jarmo