Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Dave Cross

Default Problems with Some MP3s in Rhythmbox

I'm using Fedora 14 and I think I have the correct RPMs installed in
order for Rhythmbox to play MP3s.

$ rpm -q rhythmbox
rhythmbox-0.13.3-1.fc14.i686
$ rpm -q gstreamer-plugins-ugly
gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.16-2.fc14.i686

This set up works fine for the vast majority of MP3s that I have. But
I've recently bought some MP3s from a download site which Rhythmbox
doesn't recognise. There seems to be a difference in format which the
'file' command recognises.

Here's an example of a file that works.

$ file Loose Change/01 - The A Team.mp3
Loose Change/01 - The A Team.mp3: Audio file with ID3 version 2.3.0,
contains: MPEG ADTS, layer III, v1, 128 kbps, 44.1 kHz, JntStereo

And here's an example of one that doesn't.

$ file Songs I Wrote With Amy/Songs-I-wrote-with-Amy-2010_Cold-Coffee.mp3
Songs I Wrote With Amy/Songs-I-wrote-with-Amy-2010_Cold-Coffee.mp3:
Audio file with ID3 version 2.4.0, contains:

Annoyingly the MP3s work fine on my Android phone and on a Mac. It
only seems to be the GStreamer plugin that doesn't play them. And that
means that it's unlikely that the download site will listen to any
complaints. I should also point out that some MP3s from this site work
just fine.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Are there any other
tests I can carry out to work out what the differences are?

Cheers,

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 03-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Dave Cross

On 23 March 2011 16:35, Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using Fedora 14 and I think I have the correct RPMs installed in
> order for Rhythmbox to play MP3s.
>
> $ rpm -q rhythmbox
> rhythmbox-0.13.3-1.fc14.i686
> $ rpm -q gstreamer-plugins-ugly
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.16-2.fc14.i686
>
> This set up works fine for the vast majority of MP3s that I have. But
> I've recently bought some MP3s from a download site which Rhythmbox
> doesn't recognise. There seems to be a difference in format which the
> 'file' command recognises.
>
> Here's an example of a file that works.
>
> $ file Loose Change/01 - The A Team.mp3
> Loose Change/01 - The A Team.mp3: Audio file with ID3 version 2.3.0,
> contains: MPEG ADTS, layer III, v1, 128 kbps, 44.1 kHz, JntStereo
>
> And here's an example of one that doesn't.
>
> $ file Songs I Wrote With Amy/Songs-I-wrote-with-Amy-2010_Cold-Coffee.mp3
> Songs I Wrote With Amy/Songs-I-wrote-with-Amy-2010_Cold-Coffee.mp3:
> Audio file with ID3 version 2.4.0, contains:
>
> Annoyingly the MP3s work fine on my Android phone and on a Mac. It
> only seems to be the GStreamer plugin that doesn't play them. And that
> means that it's unlikely that the download site will listen to any
> complaints. I should also point out that some MP3s from this site work
> just fine.
>
> Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Are there any other
> tests I can carry out to work out what the differences are?

Warnocked :-(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnock%27s_Dilemma

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 03-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Ted Roche

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Are there any other
>> tests I can carry out to work out what the differences are?
>
> Warnocked :-(
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnock%27s_Dilemma

I was unfamiliar with Warnock's Dilemma. Thanks for sharing. I suspect
the reason you find yourself on this dilemma's horns might be:

1. No one else has run into this.
2. People are waiting to see what else you do to troubleshoot, like:
re-download the original files, or check them against a checksum if
one is available

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC

Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Ted Roche

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Ted Roche <tedroche@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was unfamiliar with Warnock's Dilemma. Thanks for sharing. I suspect
> the reason you find yourself on this dilemma's horns might be:
>
> 1. No one else has run into this.
> 2. People are waiting to see what else you do to troubleshoot, like:
> *re-download the original files, or check them against a checksum if
> one is available

Whoops! Send too soon.

3. Also, the codecs you're using aren't part of Fedora, since Fedora
has intellectual property issues with ugly codecs, so you might get
better support from the original source.

I use Fluendo's codecs, and hadn't seen this problem, sorry.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC

Old 03-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Joe Zeff

On 03/29/2011 10:31 AM, Ted Roche wrote:
> 3. Also, the codecs you're using aren't part of Fedora, since Fedora
> has intellectual property issues with ugly codecs, so you might get
> better support from the original source.

4. Or, you can go here, http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/ and get the
fedoraplus, the program formerly known as autoten. Dangermouse, btw, is
one of the admins for fedoraforum.org; you can trust his programs to be
safe.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Richard Shaw

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Ted Roche <tedroche@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3. Also, the codecs you're using aren't part of Fedora, since Fedora
> has intellectual property issues with ugly codecs, so you might get
> better support from the original source.
>
> I use Fluendo's codecs, and hadn't seen this problem, sorry.

The OP may have more luck re-posting to the RPMFusion or ATRPMS
mailing list depending on where he got the Gstreamer plugin package.

Also, is it possible that the MP3 file has DRM? Your android phone
probably has a closed source decoder that can handle it.

Richard

Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Dave Cross

On 29 March 2011 18:29, Ted Roche <tedroche@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Are there any other
>>> tests I can carry out to work out what the differences are?
>>
>> Warnocked :-(
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnock%27s_Dilemma
>
> I was unfamiliar with Warnock's Dilemma. Thanks for sharing. I suspect
> the reason you find yourself on this dilemma's horns might be:
>
> 1. No one else has run into this.
> 2. People are waiting to see what else you do to troubleshoot, like:
> *re-download the original files, or check them against a checksum if
> one is available

Thanks for the suggestions. I have redownloaded the files with the
same results. And there isn't a checksum available.

Cheers,

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Dave Cross

On 29 March 2011 18:31, Ted Roche <tedroche@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Ted Roche <tedroche@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was unfamiliar with Warnock's Dilemma. Thanks for sharing. I suspect
>> the reason you find yourself on this dilemma's horns might be:
>>
>> 1. No one else has run into this.
>> 2. People are waiting to see what else you do to troubleshoot, like:
>> *re-download the original files, or check them against a checksum if
>> one is available
>
> Whoops! Send too soon.
>
> 3. Also, the codecs you're using aren't part of Fedora, since Fedora
> has intellectual property issues with ugly codecs, so you might get
> better support from the original source.

That's a very good point. I'll speak to the people at RPMFusion.

> I use Fluendo's codecs, and hadn't seen this problem, sorry.

That's also worth trying. Thanks.

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Dave Cross

On 29 March 2011 18:48, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 10:31 AM, Ted Roche wrote:
>> 3. Also, the codecs you're using aren't part of Fedora, since Fedora
>> has intellectual property issues with ugly codecs, so you might get
>> better support from the original source.
>
> 4. *Or, you can go here, http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/ and get the
> fedoraplus, the program formerly known as autoten. *Dangermouse, btw, is
> one of the admins for fedoraforum.org; you can trust his programs to be
> safe.

Ooh. That looks interesting. I hadn't heard of that. Thanks.

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Dave Cross

On 29 March 2011 18:49, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Ted Roche <tedroche@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 3. Also, the codecs you're using aren't part of Fedora, since Fedora
>> has intellectual property issues with ugly codecs, so you might get
>> better support from the original source.
>>
>> I use Fluendo's codecs, and hadn't seen this problem, sorry.
>
> The OP may have more luck re-posting to the RPMFusion or ATRPMS
> mailing list depending on where he got the Gstreamer plugin package.

Yeah. I'll definitely speak to the people at RPMFusion.

> Also, is it possible that the MP3 file has DRM? Your android phone
> probably has a closed source decoder that can handle it.

Can MP3s contain DRM? I didn't think that was possible. But I'm quite
prepared to be corrected on that.

Cheers,

Dave...

--