Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 PM
AMRISH SONAWANE

Default install fedoro in windows 7

Hello fedora team,

this is Amrish from dhule,India.
I am using windows 7 on dell inspiron 1525.I have to install fedora in
windows 7 or another partition of hard disk means dual booting but i
have one problem my dvd drive is not working.
Can u tell me how can install fedora on laptop.
Pls suggest me all the steps as soon as possible.

AMRISH SONAWANE
DHULE,INDIA

Old 03-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Michael Cronenworth

AMRISH SONAWANE wrote:
> have one problem my dvd drive is not working.
> Can u tell me how can install fedora on laptop.
> Pls suggest me all the steps as soon as possible.

The only alternative is to use a USB flash drive.

Install this:
https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/i/liveusb-creator/liveusb-creator-3.10.0-setup.exe

Download this for 32-bit:
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Live/i686/Fedora-14-i686-Live-Desktop.iso

or Download this for 64-bit:
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Live/x86_64/Fedora-14-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso

Use LiveUSB Creator to install the ISO file to a USB flash drive.

Boot your laptop from the USB flash drive.

Read the Fedora website[1] for more information.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org

Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Timothy Murphy

Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> AMRISH SONAWANE wrote:
>> have one problem my dvd drive is not working.
>> Can u tell me how can install fedora on laptop.
>> Pls suggest me all the steps as soon as possible.
>
> The only alternative is to use a USB flash drive.

I agree that is a sensible way to do it,
but is it really the only way?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 PM
suvayu ali

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:
>> The only alternative is to use a USB flash drive.
>
> I agree that is a sensible way to do it,
> but is it really the only way?

Net install? But considering the OP is a new user, that would be more confusing.

--
Suvayu

Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 PM
JD

have one problem my dvd drive is not working.
Can u tell me how can install fedora on laptop.
Pls suggest me all the steps as soon as possible.

The only alternative is to use a USB flash drive.

I agree that is a sensible way to do it,
but is it really the only way?

Unfortunately, I have not seen a
net-install executable for windows

that can be downloaded and executed in order to install Fedora.

There is a net-install iso image

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/14/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-14-i386-netinst.iso

but the OP's cd drive is not working.

So, transfer of iso to USB seems to be the OP's best and only
choice.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 22:56 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>
> > AMRISH SONAWANE wrote:
> >> have one problem my dvd drive is not working.
> >> Can u tell me how can install fedora on laptop.
> >> Pls suggest me all the steps as soon as possible.
> >
> > The only alternative is to use a USB flash drive.
>
> I agree that is a sensible way to do it,
> but is it really the only way?

It might help to use UNetbootin. You can get it at:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

This allows you to produce a Live USB or Live CD of about 50 Linux
versions (including Fedora 14). Then boot Liveusb (or LiveCD) and choose
the option to download the distribution onto your computer.