Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Joel Rees

Default recovering from the unthinkable

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Terry Horsnell <tsh@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> *On 23/03/2011 14:28, Joel Rees wrote:
>> The excuse: Trying to get all my precious files from the usb drive
>> after 10:00 PM.
>>
>> So, is anyone willing me to remind me of the name of the program that
>> goes searching through a drive that has been the victim of the old rm
>> -f and re-constructs the file system? I'm pretty sure I've used it
>> before, when I lost an lvm volume once.
>>
>> Can't remember what it was called, and searching via google for "disk
>> recovery tools" now returns a whole lot of links I sure wouldn't want
>> to trust.
> Try googling for 'linux undelete' instead. Shows up lots of useful stuff.

Well, I don't trust the first page of those results, either, at least
not for downloads. (I'm a bit paranoid, you see.)

But, "yum search undelete" at the command line turned up extundelete,
testdisk, and some other useful looking stuff in the Fedora
repository.

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Joel Rees

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can't remember what it was called, and searching via google for "disk
>> recovery tools" now returns a whole lot of links I sure wouldn't want
>> to trust.
>
> I never used it, but I've seen a pointer to this in the fedora list
> before:
>
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

TestDisk was what I remembered using before.

Turns out it's in the Fedora repository, now, along with some other
stuff I found when I took a clue from Terry and did a "yum search
undelete".

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Joe Wulf

I believe tunefs has some ability to work this, though I've never personally
attempted recovery with it.
Another excellent set of tools comes from runtime.org. They have excellent
tools for recovery both on Windoze and Linux, too.

Good luck!!

R,
-Joe

Old 03-24-2011, 04:25 AM
Jatin K

On Wednesday 23 March 2011 07:58 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
> The excuse: Trying to get all my precious files from the usb drive
> after 10:00 PM.
>
> So, is anyone willing me to remind me of the name of the program that
> goes searching through a drive that has been the victim of the old rm
> -f and re-constructs the file system? I'm pretty sure I've used it
> before, when I lost an lvm volume once.
>
> Can't remember what it was called, and searching via google for "disk
> recovery tools" now returns a whole lot of links I sure wouldn't want
> to trust.
are you talking about " testdisk " ???

/(_)
^ ^ Jatin Khatri