Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Richard Shaw

Default How is it determined if a package needs to be rebuilt for a newer Fedora version?

I see regularly where new(er) users wonder why they see packages
installed with dist tags from previous versions of Fedora.

I understand why this occurs but now that I've gotten into building
some of my own packages I started to wonder how it is determined if a
package needs to be rebuilt or not.

Do we rely on the package maintainer to make a call or is there some
definitive way to test a package?

Thanks,
Richard

Old 03-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> said:
> I see regularly where new(er) users wonder why they see packages
> installed with dist tags from previous versions of Fedora.
>
> I understand why this occurs but now that I've gotten into building
> some of my own packages I started to wonder how it is determined if a
> package needs to be rebuilt or not.
>
> Do we rely on the package maintainer to make a call or is there some
> definitive way to test a package?

This would be more appropriate on fedora-devel (any follow-up questions
should go there).

Basically, you rebuild a package when there is a good reason to rebuild
it. You've made packaging changes or you pulled in a new upstream
version are the main reasons for a package maintainer to do it.
Sometimes it'll get rebuilt (or you'll need to submit a rebuild) when
dependencies change (such as a shared library soname bump).

Some Fedora releases will go through a "mass-rebuild", where every
package gets rebuilt. This is only done when there's a good distro-wide
reason, such as RPM upgrades that change the package format or gcc
upgrades that significantly affect optimization/code security/etc.

You should never rebuild just to see the release number and/or distro
tag change.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 03-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Richard Shaw

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> said:
>> I see regularly where new(er) users wonder why they see packages
>> installed with dist tags from previous versions of Fedora.
>>
>> I understand why this occurs but now that I've gotten into building
>> some of my own packages I started to wonder how it is determined if a
>> package needs to be rebuilt or not.
>>
>> Do we rely on the package maintainer to make a call or is there some
>> definitive way to test a package?
>
> This would be more appropriate on fedora-devel (any follow-up questions
> should go there).
>
> Basically, you rebuild a package when there is a good reason to rebuild
> it. *You've made packaging changes or you pulled in a new upstream
> version are the main reasons for a package maintainer to do it.
> Sometimes it'll get rebuilt (or you'll need to submit a rebuild) when
> dependencies change (such as a shared library soname bump).

I'm still a little green in this area. Do you mean that a version bump
in the library that is not backward compatible?

> Some Fedora releases will go through a "mass-rebuild", where every
> package gets rebuilt. *This is only done when there's a good distro-wide
> reason, such as RPM upgrades that change the package format or gcc
> upgrades that significantly affect optimization/code security/etc.

That's a good reason TO rebuild but...

> You should never rebuild just to see the release number and/or distro
> tag change.

I understand a lot of the "why's" (even more so now) but I'm still
unclear on the "how".

Thanks,
Richard

Old 03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Petr Machata

Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
>> This would be more appropriate on fedora-devel (any follow-up questions
>> should go there).
>>
>> Basically, you rebuild a package when there is a good reason to rebuild
>> it. *You've made packaging changes or you pulled in a new upstream
>> version are the main reasons for a package maintainer to do it.
>> Sometimes it'll get rebuilt (or you'll need to submit a rebuild) when
>> dependencies change (such as a shared library soname bump).
>
> I'm still a little green in this area. Do you mean that a version bump
> in the library that is not backward compatible?

SONAME bump in a library is a priori backwards incompatible. The binary
won't be able to start if the library name changes, because the dynamic
linker will be looking for the library with the old version, and of
course failing. The "rawhide report" and "branched report" e-mails that
hit fedora-devel, list all the cases where the library name changed, but
the binary was not yet rebuilt to pick up the change.

PM