Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Peter Boy

Default Urgent help needed for rpmfusion catalyst 10.12 f14

Hello,

I have to use the rpmfusion catalyst driver for my ATI Radeon HD 3470 on
my F14 system because of a bug in the open source driver since f12 for
that specific model. The catalyst driver worked fine with version
kmod-catalyst-10.12-1 / xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-10.12-2.

But since an update (mar 19) to kmod-catalyst-11.2-1 /
xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-11.2 I encounter regular kernel crashes, the
panel crashes when I start audacious, and many other programms don't
work anymore, especially some devel tools I need for my work on an open
source cms project.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the old files

xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs-10.12-2.fc14.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-10.12-2.fc14.x86_64

anywhere on the web. I searched all mirrors, asked google without success.

Does anybody have those files at hand and can send them to my mail
address?

Thanks in advance
Peter

Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Zoltan Hoppar

HI,

I know that not really an open source advice, but I suggest to use the
latest radeon driver from the AMD site. First you have to remove these
kernel parts, and replace with the mentioned official drivers. I use
for my radeon HD 42xx the 10.12 run file. What you have to know, that
installer is capable to restore/regenerate the settings files for your
videocard, capable to run in commandline mode and even capable to
generate the distro specific rpm package (I don't recommend that,
because of the frequent updates, else you have to regenerate it by
each vga or xorg update). Additionally the official driver runs in
single user mode or single user networked mode what is supported by
Fedora. These setting are available through grub if you delete the
rhgb and the quiet option and enter the proper runlevel. For single
user mode enter 1, and for networked mode 3.
So, I suggest to use the .run file - and let it run in single user
mode, and the installer will setup for you the whole settings - it
takes time till the ncurses UI finish with the processing - but
luckily for the HD cards has a working proprietary driver.

If you need furhter help, mail me - I will tell you how to keep your
ATi card always on up to date.

Zoltan

2011/3/23 Peter Boy <pboy@barkhof.uni-bremen.de>:
> Hello,
>
> I have to use the rpmfusion catalyst driver for my ATI Radeon HD 3470 on
> my F14 system because of a bug in the open source driver since f12 for
> that specific model. The catalyst driver worked fine with version
> kmod-catalyst-10.12-1 / xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-10.12-2.
>
> But since an update (mar 19) to kmod-catalyst-11.2-1 /
> xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-11.2 *I encounter regular kernel crashes, the
> panel crashes when I start audacious, and many other programms don't
> work anymore, especially some devel tools I need for my work on an open
> source cms project.
>
> Unfortunately I couldn't find the old files
>
> *xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs-10.12-2.fc14.x86_64
> *xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-10.12-2.fc14.x86_64
>
> anywhere on the web. I searched all mirrors, asked google without success.
>
> Does anybody have those files at hand and can send them to my mail
> address?
>

> Thanks in advance
> Peter

PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:56:14 +0100, Peter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have to use the rpmfusion catalyst driver for my ATI Radeon HD 3470 on
> my F14 system because of a bug in the open source driver since f12 for
> that specific model. The catalyst driver worked fine with version
> kmod-catalyst-10.12-1 / xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-10.12-2.
>
> But since an update (mar 19) to kmod-catalyst-11.2-1 /
> xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-11.2 I encounter regular kernel crashes, the
> panel crashes when I start audacious, and many other programms don't
> work anymore, especially some devel tools I need for my work on an open
> source cms project.
>
> Unfortunately I couldn't find the old files
>
> xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs-10.12-2.fc14.x86_64
> xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-10.12-2.fc14.x86_64
>
> anywhere on the web. I searched all mirrors, asked google without success.
>
> Does anybody have those files at hand and can send them to my mail
> address?

You could research on how to retrieve the old src.rpm package contents from
cvs.rpmfusion.org (via anonymous access) and then rebuild the binary rpms
yourself. [ http://cvs.rpmfusion.org/viewvc/rpms/?root=nonfree ]