Old 03-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Alan Cox

Default (OT) Direction of Fedora desktop manager Gnome, related to complaints in OT morons thread

> I imagine that during the unifications of Germany and Italy

Hardly. Italian is a maze of semi compatible languages joined by a sort
of subset suitable for use wherever[1]. German dialects also vary widely.
I'm not sure if it is still going but there was even a KDE project to
support some German dialect forms.

The country that actively went stomping other it's other languages in
Europe (and still to a large extent does - ask a Breton speaker) is France
where the language identity is part of the constitution. Have a read on a
history of France and its (once numerous) languages.

(and for anyone who doesn't drink and wants to know what the morning
after a very good night feels like can I suggest an all day lesson on
Finnish grammar 8) )

As far as the British coming - if you want to hear well formed properly
used examples of English grammar including forms the Brits get wrong all
the time - try India.

Alan
[1] Arguably English is the same - ask anyone who has met Glaswegian,
Geordie, a good solid Yorkshire accent, or many of the other Scots and
Irish dialects.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:07 PM
"Christopher A. Williams"

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 17:51 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> As far as the British coming - if you want to hear well formed properly
> used examples of English grammar including forms the Brits get wrong all
> the time - try India.
>
> Alan
> [1] Arguably English is the same - ask anyone who has met Glaswegian,
> Geordie, a good solid Yorkshire accent, or many of the other Scots and
> Irish dialects.

...Indeed. As an American, I deal with "Indian English" all day, so I
feel for you.

Even worse, I was once in Switzerland at a restaurant trying to order
lunch from a waiter from deep in Scotland, and had to "translate" for
someone on our team who was born and raised in Dallas, TX. It was
definitely entertaining watching those two trying to communicate at
first.

Chris