Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Steven Stern

Default Virtual Box & Windows -

On 03/22/2011 09:59 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I've installed "virtualbox" on this F-14 computer and it appears
> to be working, however now I need a copy of Windows to run in it
> in order to solve my other problem. I have several copies of
> WindowsXP Pro including the one that came with this computer but
> refuses to run unless that drive is plugged into the first slot.
>
> That problem occurs because initially I had a computer failure
> and elected to replace the computer and install the hard drives
> from the failed unit into the "new" one. The old one had a
> Windows partition that was selectable from grub and would
> operate normally if needed. Once the drives were swapped into
> this computer and Windows selected it would protest that perhaps
> I had a virus and refuse to boot. :-)
>
> The details go on and on but my question is would I have to buy
> a copy of Windows to use virtualbox or is there a way to make it
> use the original copy on the disk containing WindowsXP that came
> with this computer? If I swap data cables around Windows still
> boots. It is installed by itself on an 80 gig sata drive.
>
> Bob
>

> --

It seems you want to import an existing Windows partition, not install a
new copy of Windows from scratch. Installing is the easiest thing to do.

You can import an existing partition, but it looks to be ugly:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=1966

This looks promising:
http://www.labnol.org/software/create-virtual-machine-of-existing-computer/10510/

--
-- Steve

Old 03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Greg Woods

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 10:59 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> The details go on and on but my question is would I have to buy
> a copy of Windows to use virtualbox or is there a way to make it
> use the original copy on the disk containing WindowsXP that came
> with this computer?

Windows is very fussy about the hardware. If the hardware changes from
when it was originally installed, it refuses to run. This is
(supposedly) to prevent unauthorized copies. So it is unlikely you will
be able to get the copy on disk to run. However, you should be able to
create a new virtual machine and install Windows XP onto it from the CD,
using your product key.

--Greg

Old 03-22-2011, 03:18 PM
"compdoc"

> Windows is very fussy about the hardware. If the hardware changes from
>when it was originally installed, it refuses to run. This is
>(supposedly) to prevent unauthorized copies. So it is unlikely you will
>be able to get the copy on disk to run.

It's true that when you make major changes to the hardware, Windows often
won't be able to see the boot device. But this is not a refusal to run, and
it isn't a form of copy protection. It's simply a matter of not having the
proper drivers for the new hardware.

There are several ways around the problem - one is to run Sysprep, which
makes all drivers known to the OS available for use on the next boot with
the option of adding drivers during the boot.

Another is to run windows from a drive controller that can be installed in
the new system, so that Windows finds itself booting from the same hardware
it always has. Sometimes this works great, sometimes not.

It's not impossible to move Windows to new hardware, and it's not even that
hard to do. However, you might end up having to call Microsoft after the
move to get it activated. That's the copy protection part. They ask you a
couple of questions and you get the new code. And they're usually pretty
nice about it.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Richard Shaw

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:
> * * * *I've installed "virtualbox" on this F-14 computer and it appears
> * * * *to be working, however now I need a copy of Windows to run in it
> * * * *in order to solve my other problem. I have several copies of
> * * * *WindowsXP Pro including the one that came with this computer but
> * * * *refuses to run unless that drive is plugged into the first slot.
>
> * * * *That problem occurs because initially I had a computer failure
> * * * *and elected to replace the computer and install the hard drives
> * * * *from the failed unit into the "new" one. The old one had a
> * * * *Windows partition that was selectable from grub and would
> * * * *operate normally if needed. Once the drives were swapped into
> * * * *this computer and Windows selected it would protest that perhaps
> * * * *I had a virus and refuse to boot. :-)
>
> * * * *The details go on and on but my question is would I have to buy
> * * * *a copy of Windows to use virtualbox or is there a way to make it
> * * * *use the original copy on the disk containing WindowsXP that came
> * * * *with this computer? If I swap data cables around Windows still
> * * * *boots. It is installed by itself on an 80 gig sata drive.

As long as you don't mind using the original drive, you might consider
raw disk/partition access. It's in the VirtualBox documentation,
somewhere in chapter 9 I think.

I did this for a while before deciding I didn't need native Windows
anymore. What I did was setup a separate hardware profile in XP which
allowed me to boot natively or in VBox.

I managed this without sysprep but it might be a good idea.

Richard

Old 03-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 22/03/11 12:18, compdoc wrote:
>> Windows is very fussy about the hardware. If the hardware changes from
>> when it was originally installed, it refuses to run. This is
>> (supposedly) to prevent unauthorized copies. So it is unlikely you will
>> be able to get the copy on disk to run.
>
> It's true that when you make major changes to the hardware, Windows often
> won't be able to see the boot device. But this is not a refusal to run, and
> it isn't a form of copy protection. It's simply a matter of not having the
> proper drivers for the new hardware.
>
> There are several ways around the problem - one is to run Sysprep, which
> makes all drivers known to the OS available for use on the next boot with
> the option of adding drivers during the boot.
>
> Another is to run windows from a drive controller that can be installed in
> the new system, so that Windows finds itself booting from the same hardware
> it always has. Sometimes this works great, sometimes not.
>
> It's not impossible to move Windows to new hardware, and it's not even that
> hard to do. However, you might end up having to call Microsoft after the
> move to get it activated. That's the copy protection part. They ask you a
> couple of questions and you get the new code. And they're usually pretty
> nice about it.

These are used computers purchased from Discount PC who sells
them with Windows XP Pro installed, however there is no cdrom
provided, no means for reinstall. Usually that's not a problem
since I don't need Windows anyway.

But if I do a new install from the Fedora DVD it will install
Fedora on an added drive and configure grub so I can select
whatever, including Windows and all is happiness. My problem is
that the only way I can get Windows to run is to plug it into
the first slot, then Windows boots but I never see grub.

Or I can move the original drive to a third slot, it shows up as
/dev/sdc0 and grub will select it but then Windows refuses to
boot, yields an error screen and the computer has to be powered
off to reboot.

Now it looks to me that by moving the Windows drive to the slot
it wants I can do a reinstall of F14 and produce a working
system with grub selecting Fedora or Windows.

Is there a procedure using the DVD to reorganize things without
destroying the existing Linux configuration?

Bob

Old 03-22-2011, 08:19 PM
"compdoc"

>My problem is
>that the only way I can get Windows to run is to plug it into
>the first slot, then Windows boots but I never see grub.

By first slot I guess you sata port? It's been a while since I've noticed
Windows caring about device order. I have seen windows try to change its
drive letter when it finds itself on a new drive port, but that was only
under certain conditions.

When you move your windows drive to port 1, you don't see grub because grub
is installed on the other drive. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about
dual booting with grub, so maybe someone else here can tell you how...

I think if you were to place your windows drive in port 1, and then were to
set up grub to run from the windows drive, it would solve the problem?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Claude Jones

On Tuesday, March 22, 2011, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I've installed "virtualbox" on this F-14 computer and

> it appears to be working, however now I need a copy of Windows

> to run in it in order to solve my other problem. I have

> several copies of WindowsXP Pro including the one that came

> with this computer but refuses to run unless that drive is

> plugged into the first slot.

> That problem occurs because initially I had a computer

> failure and elected to replace the computer and install the

> hard drives from the failed unit into the "new" one. The old

> one had a Windows partition that was selectable from grub and

> would operate normally if needed. Once the drives were swapped

> into this computer and Windows selected it would protest that

> perhaps I had a virus and refuse to boot. :-)

> The details go on and on but my question is would I

> have to buy a copy of Windows to use virtualbox or is there a

> way to make it use the original copy on the disk containing

> WindowsXP that came with this computer? If I swap data cables

> around Windows still boots. It is installed by itself on an 80

> gig sata drive.

> Bob

I think I'd try virtualization of your physical machine - I've done that a lot to go to VMWare VMs, but there's a way to use VMWare free tools to get to a VirtualBox VM - here's one site that explains the process:

http://www.sysprobs.com/physical-virtual-virtualbox-virtualbox-p2v

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 03-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Bob Goodwin

On 22/03/11 22:22, Claude Jones wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 22, 2011, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
> > I've installed "virtualbox" on this F-14 computer and
>
> > it appears to be working, however now I need a copy of Windows
>
> > to run in it in order to solve my other problem. I have
>
> > several copies of WindowsXP Pro including the one that came
>
> > with this computer but refuses to run unless that drive is
>
> > plugged into the first slot.
>

> > That problem occurs because initially I had a computer
>
> > failure and elected to replace the computer and install the
>
> > hard drives from the failed unit into the "new" one. The old
>
> > one had a Windows partition that was selectable from grub and
>
> > would operate normally if needed. Once the drives were swapped
>
> > into this computer and Windows selected it would protest that
>
> > perhaps I had a virus and refuse to boot. :-)
>

> > The details go on and on but my question is would I
>
> > have to buy a copy of Windows to use virtualbox or is there a
>
> > way to make it use the original copy on the disk containing
>
> > WindowsXP that came with this computer? If I swap data cables
>
> > around Windows still boots. It is installed by itself on an 80
>
> > gig sata drive.
>

> > Bob
>

> I think I'd try virtualization of your physical machine - I've done
> that a lot to go to VMWare VMs, but there's a way to use VMWare free
> tools to get to a VirtualBox VM - here's one site that explains the
> process:
>
> http://www.sysprobs.com/physical-virtual-virtualbox-virtualbox-p2v
>

> --
>
> Claude Jones
>
> Brunswick, MD, USA

Thanks Claude, I spent some time with that yesterday after
reading this but that page is pretty hard to follow. Poor
example images that are different than I see? I will have
another go at it and let you know if it works for me.

Bob
Zuni, VA.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:36 PM
"compdoc"

>> http://www.sysprobs.com/physical-virtual-virtualbox-virtualbox-p2v
>

> --
>
> Claude Jones
>
> Brunswick, MD, USA
>

>> Thanks Claude, I spent some time with that yesterday after
>> reading this but that page is pretty hard to follow. Poor
>> example images that are different than I see? I will have
>> another go at it and let you know if it works for me.

If you want to go virtual, it's easy enough to do with the imaging programs
clonezilla or Acronis.

First, it's probably a good idea to create a backup image with clonezilla or
Acronis so you can put it back the way it was if it all goes wrong.

Then, in XP open the Add/Remove Programs control panel and remove all your
drivers: video card, sound card, chipset, etc. If you're familiar with
Sysprep, run this next and shut down.

Now, boot with your image program and create the backup again of this
stripped down, sysprepped XP.

Then create your VM and its virtual drive, and restore the stripped down
image to the virtual drive.

It might work fine without using Sysprep since XP should have drivers for
the virtual hardware in the VM. Just don't try to use 'virtio' hardware
until the VM is up and running.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Claude Jones

On Thursday, March 24, 2011, compdoc wrote:

> If you want to go virtual, it's easy enough to do with the

> imaging programs clonezilla or Acronis.

> First, it's probably a good idea to create a backup image with

> clonezilla or Acronis so you can put it back the way it was if

> it all goes wrong.

> Then, in XP open the Add/Remove Programs control panel and

> remove all your drivers: video card, sound card, chipset, etc.

> If you're familiar with Sysprep, run this next and shut down.

> Now, boot with your image program and create the backup again

> of this stripped down, sysprepped XP.

> Then create your VM and its virtual drive, and restore the

> stripped down image to the virtual drive.

> It might work fine without using Sysprep since XP should have

> drivers for the virtual hardware in the VM.**Just don't try to

> use 'virtio' hardware until the VM is up and running.

I like this! I'm a long time user of Acronis so I'm very familiar with its workings. It is something you have to buy, though there's a version available on the Seagate website that's a little stripped down but available for free download - I have no idea whether the feature set remaining in this version is sufficient to do the above task, but it would cost you nothing to find out. I think they call it Seagate Tools... VMWare has a free tool you can download that will create a virtual hard drive of any physical drive, and that's the one I've used. The page I linked to is one of several I found which describes a way to take a VMWare created virtual drive and convert it for use by VirtualBox, but I haven't ever done that myself - this technique compdoc describes above looks like it could be even simpler...

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA