Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default Virtual Box & Windows -

I've installed "virtualbox" on this F-14 computer and it appears
to be working, however now I need a copy of Windows to run in it
in order to solve my other problem. I have several copies of
WindowsXP Pro including the one that came with this computer but
refuses to run unless that drive is plugged into the first slot.

That problem occurs because initially I had a computer failure
and elected to replace the computer and install the hard drives
from the failed unit into the "new" one. The old one had a
Windows partition that was selectable from grub and would
operate normally if needed. Once the drives were swapped into
this computer and Windows selected it would protest that perhaps
I had a virus and refuse to boot. :-)

The details go on and on but my question is would I have to buy
a copy of Windows to use virtualbox or is there a way to make it
use the original copy on the disk containing WindowsXP that came
with this computer? If I swap data cables around Windows still
boots. It is installed by itself on an 80 gig sata drive.

Bob