Old 03-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Mike Chambers

Default Libreoffice calculation

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 12:47 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> Not real clear on what you are trying to do.

Basically what I am messing with, is the March Madness bracket office
pool we have at work. I take the number of wins for a round (example, 5
wins) and want to be able to just input that number into the cell, and
have it automatically multiply by a set number that scores for that
round (example, 10).

Maybe this will help

Round 2 scores 4 points per win. Someone gets 10 wins for that round.
That would be 40 total points for that round. So I want to be able to
just input the 10 and have it automatically multiply by 4 for me,
instead of doing it in my head/on calculator. I also will be printing
this sheet out (maybe converting to html first) to let everyone keep
updated with the scores. So except for the info for the brackets,
nothing else needs to be on there.

Gonna post a URL to let you see what it currently looks like (html form)
to get an idea of what I want seen. Any calculations that need done are
to be hidden and not seen.

http://www.miketc.net/bracket.html

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best town on Earth!"

Old 03-22-2011, 02:27 AM
Darlene Wallach

Mike,

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 12:47 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
>> Not real clear on what you are trying to do.
>
> Basically what I am messing with, is the March Madness bracket office
> pool we have at work. *I take the number of wins for a round (example, 5
> wins) and want to be able to just input that number into the cell, and
> have it automatically multiply by a set number that scores for that
> round (example, 10).
>
> Maybe this will help
>
> Round 2 scores 4 points per win. *Someone gets 10 wins for that round.
> That would be 40 total points for that round. *So I want to be able to
> just input the 10 and have it automatically multiply by 4 for me,
> instead of doing it in my head/on calculator. *I also will be printing
> this sheet out (maybe converting to html first) to let everyone keep
> updated with the scores. *So except for the info for the brackets,
> nothing else needs to be on there.

So way out to the right in column "z" put the number you want
multiplied, then in the column you want the result to show up in you
put the calculaton/algorithm. So say in D3 you would put: =sum(z3 * 4)
in D4 you would put: =sum(z4 * 4)
D5: =sum(z5 *4)

Put the next round in column AA and the result in column E

does that make sense?

Does that give you what you want?

When you go to print off the spread sheet, just limit it to the results columns.

> Gonna post a URL to let you see what it currently looks like (html form)
> to get an idea of what I want seen. *Any calculations that need done are
> to be hidden and not seen.
>
> http://www.miketc.net/bracket.html

What multiplier did you use for round 1, 1?

> --
> Mike Chambers

Darlene Wallach
--
equal justice under law

Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 AM
"Michael D. Setzer II"

Why not just enter the regular number in the columns, and just do
the formula in the total column?

Just enter the wins in Columns B thru G Then in H put the
formula.
H3 would have, with x1 thru x5 replaced with your numbers.

=B3*x1+c3*x2+d3*x3+e3*x4+g3*x5

Otherwise, you could enter the number in one column, and have
the formula to multiply it in the next.

> On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 12:47 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > Not real clear on what you are trying to do.
>
> Basically what I am messing with, is the March Madness bracket office
> pool we have at work. I take the number of wins for a round (example, 5
> wins) and want to be able to just input that number into the cell, and
> have it automatically multiply by a set number that scores for that
> round (example, 10).
>
> Maybe this will help
>
> Round 2 scores 4 points per win. Someone gets 10 wins for that round.
> That would be 40 total points for that round. So I want to be able to
> just input the 10 and have it automatically multiply by 4 for me,
> instead of doing it in my head/on calculator. I also will be printing
> this sheet out (maybe converting to html first) to let everyone keep
> updated with the scores. So except for the info for the brackets,
> nothing else needs to be on there.
>
> Gonna post a URL to let you see what it currently looks like (html form)
> to get an idea of what I want seen. Any calculations that need done are
> to be hidden and not seen.
>
> http://www.miketc.net/bracket.html
>
> --
> Mike Chambers
> Madisonville, KY
>
> "The best town on Earth!"

Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
Guam Community College Computer Center
mailto:mikes@kuentos.guam.net
mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
Guam - Where America's Day Begins
G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned: 19,471
Processing time: 32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 10490968.605283 | EINSTEIN 5602714.540851
ROSETTA 2933735.693119 | ABC 5004638.189001

Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Mike Chambers

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 22:03 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 12:47 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > Not real clear on what you are trying to do.
>
> Basically what I am messing with, is the March Madness bracket office
> pool we have at work. I take the number of wins for a round (example, 5
> wins) and want to be able to just input that number into the cell, and
> have it automatically multiply by a set number that scores for that
> round (example, 10).
>
> Maybe this will help
>
> Round 2 scores 4 points per win. Someone gets 10 wins for that round.
> That would be 40 total points for that round. So I want to be able to
> just input the 10 and have it automatically multiply by 4 for me,
> instead of doing it in my head/on calculator. I also will be printing
> this sheet out (maybe converting to html first) to let everyone keep
> updated with the scores. So except for the info for the brackets,
> nothing else needs to be on there.
>
> Gonna post a URL to let you see what it currently looks like (html form)
> to get an idea of what I want seen. Any calculations that need done are
> to be hidden and not seen.

Thanks everyone for your help. Guess I've realized that pretty much no
way to do what I want without involving other cells to use. Nothing a
format of those cells to hide them won't do I guess.

Pretty much what everyone said to do by using other rows is what will
happen. Thanks again everyone.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best town on Earth!"

Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Mike Chambers

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 20:27 -0700, Darlene Wallach wrote:

> So way out to the right in column "z" put the number you want
> multiplied, then in the column you want the result to show up in you
> put the calculaton/algorithm. So say in D3 you would put: =sum(z3 * 4)
> in D4 you would put: =sum(z4 * 4)
> D5: =sum(z5 *4)

Yea that pretty much is bout the only way I can find to do it. Just
thought maybe there was way to do it all in one column without involving
others (which seems to work in excel, but guess not here (don't have
excel here)).

> > Gonna post a URL to let you see what it currently looks like (html form)
> > to get an idea of what I want seen. Any calculations that need done are
> > to be hidden and not seen.
> >
> > http://www.miketc.net/bracket.html
>
> What multiplier did you use for round 1, 1?

There wasn't a formula, just 1 pnt for each win. 4 was for round 2, and
then increases for the rest.

Got your attachment offline though, and guessing that bout only way to
do it. See reply from offline email I sent.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best town on Earth!"

Old 03-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 20:55 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 21:43 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> > On 03/21/2011 09:26 PM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > > Got a sort of OT question...
> > >
> > > In libreoffice using spreadsheet, I want to input a number in a cell and
> > > have it multiply by 16.
> > >
> > > I have tried =D3*16 and =sum(D3*16) and both get errors.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any ideas? Obviously may contact me offlist and not bug the
> > > list if know the answer.
> > >
> > > thanks ahead of time,
> >
> > Basic spreadsheet 101:
> >
> > You cannot self-reference a cell in a calculation. ie, you cannot put
> > the expression: =D3*16 into cell D3.
> >
> > If you put that expression in some other cell, then D3 needs to contain
> > numeric data so that the multiplication can succeed. I do it all the
> > time in Excel and OpenOffice. I can't believe it is broken in
> > LibreOffice.....
>

> Maybe I should ask it this way....
>
> How do I come up with a calculation by inputting a number into a cell,
> and have it automatically multiply by a set number? Then I can paste it
> to other cells or the entire row. Basically I want it to do the
> calculation for me instead of in my head or calculator. Not a do or die
> thing, just something trying to do for fun.

Nothing wrong with that. But the cell the number is put into and the
cell that represents 16* cell_value must be different cells.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:08 PM
les

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 22:03 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 12:47 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > Not real clear on what you are trying to do.
>
> Basically what I am messing with, is the March Madness bracket office
> pool we have at work. I take the number of wins for a round (example, 5
> wins) and want to be able to just input that number into the cell, and
> have it automatically multiply by a set number that scores for that
> round (example, 10).
>
> Maybe this will help
>
> Round 2 scores 4 points per win. Someone gets 10 wins for that round.
> That would be 40 total points for that round. So I want to be able to
> just input the 10 and have it automatically multiply by 4 for me,
> instead of doing it in my head/on calculator. I also will be printing
> this sheet out (maybe converting to html first) to let everyone keep
> updated with the scores. So except for the info for the brackets,
> nothing else needs to be on there.
>
> Gonna post a URL to let you see what it currently looks like (html form)
> to get an idea of what I want seen. Any calculations that need done are
> to be hidden and not seen.
>
> http://www.miketc.net/bracket.html
>
> --
> Mike Chambers
> Madisonville, KY
>
> "The best town on Earth!"

Typically I just do the calculations on a background sheet, and only
show the top sheet.

One sheet does the entry and calculations, the other shows the results.
There are many ways to tackle any programming problem, the choice is
yours.

Regards,
Les H

Old 03-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Genes MailLists

On 03/22/2011 07:08 PM, les wrote:

> Typically I just do the calculations on a background sheet, and only
> show the top sheet.

I thought the OP knew all this - and was mentioning an excel shortcut
'trick' which allows you to enter a number (or a bunch) and multiply it
(them) by the same number - no idea if this works in librpoffice

in excel it goes something like this:

1) Put number you want to multiply a column with in cell somewhere

2) Select the cell and Edit -> Copy (or right click - copy) or Ctrl C
copy it

3) Select the number(s) you want to multiply by above number

4) edit-paste special - select values - select multiply - OK

This will multiply all the secondly selected numbers by the first cell
you copied and keeps the resulting value(s).

You can delete the number from (1) after - it is no longer needed.

Its not a formula .. its a shortcut for multiplying a bunch of numbers
all by the same multiplier.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:47 AM
Frode

I wonder if the OP's problem could be caused by this, excerpt from OOo
Calc help:

"
Iterative references
In this section you can delimit the number of approximation steps
carried out during iterative calculations. In addition, you can specify
the degree of precision of the answer.
Iterations
Specifies whether formulas with iterative references (formulas that are
continuously repeated until the problem is solved) are calculated after
a specific number of repetitions. If the Iterations box is not marked,
an iterative reference in the table will cause an error message.
"

Note the last sentence.

Frode Petersen

Old 03-23-2011, 02:03 AM
Frode

Frode skrev:
> I wonder if the OP's problem could be caused by this, excerpt from OOo
> Calc help:
> Iterative references

...In the menu: Tools - Options - OOo Calc - Calculate