Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Mike Chambers

Default Libreoffice calculation

Got a sort of OT question...

In libreoffice using spreadsheet, I want to input a number in a cell and
have it multiply by 16.

I have tried =D3*16 and =sum(D3*16) and both get errors.

Anyone have any ideas? Obviously may contact me offlist and not bug the
list if know the answer.

thanks ahead of time,

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best town on Earth!"

Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 03/21/2011 09:26 PM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Got a sort of OT question...
>
> In libreoffice using spreadsheet, I want to input a number in a cell and
> have it multiply by 16.
>
> I have tried =D3*16 and =sum(D3*16) and both get errors.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Obviously may contact me offlist and not bug the
> list if know the answer.
>
> thanks ahead of time,

Basic spreadsheet 101:

You cannot self-reference a cell in a calculation. ie, you cannot put
the expression: =D3*16 into cell D3.

If you put that expression in some other cell, then D3 needs to contain
numeric data so that the multiplication can succeed. I do it all the
time in Excel and OpenOffice. I can't believe it is broken in
LibreOffice.....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net