Old 03-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Joe Zeff

Default Direction of Fedora desktop manager Gnome, related to complaints in OT morons thread

On 03/21/2011 12:36 PM, stan wrote:
> That is one interpretation of "beg the question". However, when I
> use a phrase, it means exactly what I want it to mean, no more and no
> less.

Thank you Mr. Humpty Dumpty. You do understand, don't you, that that
attitude makes communication impossible because there's no way for
anybody to know what you mean by what you say.

The term "begging the question" is a translation of the Latin
term,petitio principii, which more accurately would translate as,
"assuming your conclusion." That is, you start out by assuming that A
is true then use that to prove something that is logically equivalent to
the statement "A is true." The term, I'll grant, is a bad choice
because it's not at all clear what it means and I personally prefer to
use "circular reasoning" for such things.