Old 03-21-2011, 04:16 PM
stan

Default Direction of Fedora desktop manager Gnome, related to complaints in OT morons thread

Hi,

Just thought I would make an observation about the direction of Fedora
after reading some of the comments in the OT morons thread, that has
morphed into grumbling about Gnome 3.

I was looking at the list archives
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/
for another reason and I noticed a trend that might be relevant. Five
years ago the gzipped text for a month of list traffic ran in the 4 to
5 MB range. Today it runs less than a MB.

Now, there can be many reasons for that:
- the traffic has been split to more specific lists
- people are using other means to get help, such as forums and chat
- Fedora has become so easy to use there aren't as many issues raised
- people are voting with their feet and deserting Fedora

If it is the last reason, that is troubling for the future. And it
begs the question of *why* people might be deserting Fedora. Is it
related to the sort of grumbling and dissatisfaction seen on the OT
morons thread? I know there is some truth for me in that. It
seems that the people doing the work want it to be trendy, in some
cases just for trendiness' sake, while I care more about stability and
functionality. That can also be viewed as making Fedora cutting
edge, and it is hard to argue with that. Perhaps Fedora is shifting
away from the sweet spot of my use, and I'll eventually have to look
elsewhere. From another perspective, I suppose it means I'm not
keeping up with Fedora. I can view that as an opportunity to change, I
guess.