Old 03-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Joe Zeff

Default wifi troubleshooting

On 03/20/2011 08:29 PM, Adam Tong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My fedora 12 detects my wifi card. But i'm unable to activate the device. When I try to do that I have the following error:
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

Fedora 12 is past End Of Life and is no longer supported. Your best bet
is to upgrade to at least F 13, if not F 14 because the newer version
might well be exactly what you need.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:11 AM
JD

On 03/20/2011 08:29 PM, Adam Tong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My fedora 12 detects my wifi card. But i'm unable to activate the device. When I try to do that I have the following error:
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
>
> Thank you

How about some details!
How were you trying to bring up the wireless card?
Were you doing that as root or unprivileged user?
Did you specifically issue a command like
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
??

Old 03-21-2011, 08:21 AM
mike cloaked

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Adam Tong <helpcomm@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My fedora 12 detects my wifi card. But i'm unable to activate the device. When I try to do that I have the following error:
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> * *SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

This Error is typically seen when the "driver" for the card does not
have the capability for the settings you are trying to change to.
There are several things here, and firstly you are using a version of
Fedora that is no longer supported. I would suggest that you install
Fedora 14 which is a big advance on F12, and has a lot of improvements
to virtually every package. Secondly it is possible that Fedora 14 may
support the functions you need, but you will need to give details of
what your wireless card is, (eg use lspci or lsusb to get details of
the card in use). It may also depend on the chipset in the card.
Although the vast majority of wireless cards are now supported, there
remain some that are not. The device may get detected but unless the
driver is supported then the system will be unable to set it up or
send data through it.

You are sure that you have both the correct driver and the correct
firmware files, right?

So a little more information first, and some may be able to advise you
further, but many will likely suggest you update your system to a
supported version before real help can be given.

--
mike c

Old 03-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Adam Tong

Thanks guys i'm gonna update my os first and i'll be back to you with more details if still does not work.

Thanks again

Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Adam Tong

Hi,

I upgraded to F14 now. I still have the same problem. Using the GUI I can see that the correct name of the card is displayed in System -> Administration -> network -> devices -> double click.
Here is the output of lspci:
---------------------------
# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661FX/M661FX/M661MX Host (rev 11)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS964 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 36)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 90)
00:09.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b3)
00:09.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 08)
00:09.2 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 17)
00:09.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 08)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter
--------------------------

Thank you

Old 03-25-2011, 09:03 PM
JD

On 03/25/2011 02:45 PM, Adam Tong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded to F14 now. I still have the same problem. Using the GUI I can see that the correct name of the card is displayed in System -> Administration -> network -> devices -> double click.
> Here is the output of lspci:
> ---------------------------
> # lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661FX/M661FX/M661MX Host (rev 11)
> 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
> 00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS964 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 36)
> 00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
> 00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0)
> 00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
> 00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
> 00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
> 00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
> 00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
> 00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 90)
> 00:09.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b3)
> 00:09.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 08)
> 00:09.2 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 17)
> 00:09.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 08)
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter
> --------------------------
>
> Thank you

What is the output of

iwconfig

What is the output of

ifconfig

Old 03-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Adam Tong

Hi,

below you'll find the output of ifconfig and iwconfig.

> What is the output of
>
> iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSIDff/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Encryption keyff
Power Managementff

> What is the output of
>
> ifconfig

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:480 (480.0 b) TX bytes:480 (480.0 b)

Thank you

Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM
edik landave

Adam,

First disable momentarily any security on the Access Point/Router just
to test the connectivity. The on the computer try first as root:

iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
echo $?
#the reply should be 0 once this is done, try

iwconfig wlan0 essid MY_Access_Point_SSID
echo $?
#again this should be 0 && that means that It associated you to your
AP or router

#Once you get associated & able to browse the net. You can reenable
security on your router/Access Point & trying to reconnect using
Network Manager

Old 03-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Timothy Murphy

edik landave wrote:

> iwconfig wlan0 essid MY_Access_Point_SSID
> echo $?
> #again this should be 0 && that means that It associated you to your
> AP or router

Why can't the Fedora/Linux WiFi interface
show you available access points, like Windows,
and ask you to choose the one you want?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 03-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Steven Stern

On 03/26/2011 12:24 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> edik landave wrote:
>
>> iwconfig wlan0 essid MY_Access_Point_SSID
>> echo $?
>> #again this should be 0 && that means that It associated you to your
>> AP or router
>
> Why can't the Fedora/Linux WiFi interface
> show you available access points, like Windows,
> and ask you to choose the one you want?

It does. Left click on nm-applet (the signal strength bars) and you'll
see a list of available WiFi networks.

--
-- Steve