Old 03-20-2011, 05:44 PM
JB

Default Anti-Evolution rant.

William Case <billlinux <at> rogers.com> writes:

> Now I am on a search for a replacement for Evolution that lets me have
> some control over calendar print out forms. Can anybody help?

Why not start with:
$ yum search calendar
$ yum info <name>

JB

Old 03-20-2011, 05:58 PM
suvayu ali

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:19 AM, William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
> Now I am on a search for a replacement for Evolution that lets me have
> some control over calendar print out forms. Can anybody help?

I have an unorthodox suggestion, if you are an emacs user you should try
org-mode[1]. It can be a PIM, a publishing system, a personal note
taker, a literate programming platform and much more. There are several
screencasts demonstrating its capabilities[2], you can see them and
decide if it is worth the effort for you.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Footnotes:

[1] http://orgmode.org/

[2] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-screencasts/index.html

--
Suvayu

Old 03-20-2011, 07:36 PM
William Case

Thanks;
On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 11:58 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:19 AM, William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
> > Now I am on a search for a replacement for Evolution that lets me have
> > some control over calendar print out forms. Can anybody help?
>
> I have an unorthodox suggestion, if you are an emacs user you should try
> org-mode[1]. It can be a PIM, a publishing system, a personal note
> taker, a literate programming platform and much more. There are several
> screencasts demonstrating its capabilities[2], you can see them and
> decide if it is worth the effort for you.

I had looked at org-mode during its development phase. I'll look again
to see what kind of final print format I can create.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32

Old 03-20-2011, 07:38 PM
William Case

JB;

On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 18:44 +0000, JB wrote:
> William Case <billlinux <at> rogers.com> writes:

> > Now I am on a search for a replacement for Evolution that lets me have
> > some control over calendar print out forms. Can anybody help?
>
> Why not start with:
> $ yum search calendar
> $ yum info <name>

I did start with a yum search. That's what produced the rant.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32

Old 03-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Dario Lesca

Il giorno dom, 20/03/2011 alle 14.36 -0400, Genes MailLists ha scritto:
> have you tried google calendar

wow! a new apps open source?
An apps witch I can install on my server?

Show me where I can download the source an I install on my server an use
it.

Thanks

--
Dario Lesca <d.lesca@solinos.it>

Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 PM
William Case

Hi;

On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 14:19 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
> Just getting some stuff about the Evolution program off my chest. If I
> can get some suggestions along the way that would be a bonus.
I have received some suggestions to try Thunderbird off list. I tried
Thunderbird several years ago. It didn't do what I wanted then but I am
going to give it another try.

I realize this is about old stuff -- printed paper forms -- and
therefore I am unlikely to find what I want. That is why I stuck with M
$ Outlook so long after dumping everything else Windows.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32

Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 22:42, Dario Lesca <d.lesca@solinos.it> wrote:
> Il giorno dom, 20/03/2011 alle 14.36 -0400, Genes MailLists ha scritto:
>> have you tried google calendar
>
> wow! a new apps open source?
> An apps witch I can install on my server?
>
> Show me where I can download the source an I install on my server an use
> it.
>
> Thanks

I also moved to Google Calendar after getting fed up with the KDE PIM
suite (and filing tens of bugs on it). It is not open source, and you
can't install it on your server. That said, you can:
1) Back up all your data in csv or *cal files.
2) Sync with open-source applications such as KDE PIM, Lightning and
possibly Evolution.
3) Sync with almost any cellphone (specifically my Symbian-powered N86).
4) Access the data from any internet-connected web browser.

I fail to see the downside in it not being open source seeing how the
data can be exported.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 03-20-2011, 07:54 PM
William Case

On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 14:36 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 03/20/2011 02:19 PM, William Case wrote:
>
> > Now I am on a search for a replacement for Evolution that lets me have
> > some control over calendar print out forms. Can anybody help?
>

> May or may not be what you want - have you tried google calendar ?

Yes. Gave google calendar a through look to day. It is not what I
need.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32

Old 03-20-2011, 08:05 PM
JB

William Case <billlinux <at> rogers.com> writes:

> JB;
>
> On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 18:44 +0000, JB wrote:
> > William Case <billlinux <at> rogers.com> writes:

> > > Now I am on a search for a replacement for Evolution that lets me have
> > > some control over calendar print out forms. Can anybody help?
> >
> > Why not start with:
> > $ yum search calendar
> > $ yum info <name>
> >
> I did start with a yum search. That's what produced the rant.

This one looks very promising.
$ yum info thunderbird-lightning

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/screenshot.html

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/lightning/
note the right side column:
Often used with…

JB

Old 03-20-2011, 09:22 PM
JB

JB <jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com> writes:

This one looks like a well designed (modular) and good-looking app.
Configurable. Clean GUI.
Good web site, screenshots.
It has a broad users base.

$ yum info osmo