Old 03-20-2011, 02:44 AM
Alex

Default System policy to shutdown as normal user?

Hi,
How can I change the system policy to authorize a normal user to
shutdown the system without having to prompt for a password?

Is this an selinux thing? The searching I've done seems to indicate
this, but I can't find any definitive information on exactly how to do
it.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 03-20-2011, 02:59 AM
Joe Zeff

On 03/19/2011 08:44 PM, Alex wrote:
> How can I change the system policy to authorize a normal user to
> shutdown the system without having to prompt for a password?

/sbin/shutdown is world executable. Alas, it's only a link to
/lib/ubstart/shutdown, which is only executable by root. Changing that
to world executable should do it.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:59 AM
suvayu ali

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I change the system policy to authorize a normal user to
> shutdown the system without having to prompt for a password?

Can't you already do that from the logout applet of your desktop? If
you mean letting a user shutdown from the terminal, then it is meant
to be that way. AFAIU, effectively calling shutdown is calling init
with appropriate arguments. If you want only specific users to be able
to shutdown, you can try giving them sudo access to shutdown only.

--
Suvayu

Old 03-21-2011, 02:58 AM
Alex

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 2:59 AM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How can I change the system policy to authorize a normal user to
>> shutdown the system without having to prompt for a password?
>
> Can't you already do that from the logout applet of your desktop? If
> you mean letting a user shutdown from the terminal, then it is meant
> to be that way. AFAIU, effectively calling shutdown is calling init
> with appropriate arguments. If you want only specific users to be able
> to shutdown, you can try giving them sudo access to shutdown only.

No, what I was referring to was similar to providing the ability for
normal users to apply package updates using
System->Administration->Software Update (packagekit?) without being
prompted for the root password.

I recall there being some selinux command that could be used for this?
I believe similar capability exists for changing runlevels as well,
but haven't had any luck finding the info again...

Thanks,
Alex

Old 03-21-2011, 03:22 AM
Larry Brower

Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 AM
suvayu ali

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, what I was referring to was similar to providing the ability for
> normal users to apply package updates using
> System->Administration->Software Update (packagekit?) without being
> prompted for the root password.
>
> I recall there being some selinux command that could be used for this?
> I believe similar capability exists for changing runlevels as well,
> but haven't had any luck finding the info again...

Not SELinux, but policy kit. There used to be an easy to use gui to
create custom policies, but that is no more available. You need to
muck around with policy files by hand to achieve that these days. At
least that is my understanding.

But I still don't understand why on your system a regular user needs
the root password to shutdown the system from the gui. I can do it by
clicking the logout button for my desktop and selecting shutdown when
I am offered an option.

--
Suvayu

Old 03-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Alex

Hi,

> Not SELinux, but policy kit. There used to be an easy to use gui to
> create custom policies, but that is no more available. You need to
> muck around with policy files by hand to achieve that these days. At
> least that is my understanding.

Yes, that sounds like what I was thinking. It was a nice way to let
single-user systems perform normal administration tasks easily.

> But I still don't understand why on your system a regular user needs
> the root password to shutdown the system from the gui. I can do it by
> clicking the logout button for my desktop and selecting shutdown when
> I am offered an option.

Yes, I can do that too; I was referring to System->Shut Down directly
that doesn't work without prompting for root password.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 03-21-2011, 06:41 PM
suvayu ali

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I can do that too; I was referring to System->Shut Down directly
> that doesn't work without prompting for root password.

Ah! Now I understand clearly what you mean. Polkit is the way to go
here. I have not tried to customise that after they removed the gui,
but I think that is the way to go. Try looking for polkit-auth, I
think that is the utility which should be able to do it, however I
couldn't find out which packages provides that.

GL

--
Suvayu