Old 03-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Bill Davidsen

Default qemu update for fc13 broken?

I just installed the recent qemu update on my KVM server which hosts my VMs for
local services. I stopped all VMs, did the upgrade, and reboot. Now none of the
VMs respond to mouse or have sound.

Any thoughts? x86_64, all stock Fedora stuff, critical service (why I'm working
Saturday).

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 03-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Bill Davidsen

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I just installed the recent qemu update on my KVM server which hosts my VMs for
> local services. I stopped all VMs, did the upgrade, and reboot. Now none of the
> VMs respond to mouse or have sound.
>
> Any thoughts? x86_64, all stock Fedora stuff, critical service (why I'm working
> Saturday).

One clarification: this occurs when running the VM on the console:
qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda svr.img -soundhw ac97
rather than using a VNC connection
qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda svr.img -soundhw ac97 -vnc :3 -usbdevice tablet

For various reasons we run these VMs directly on the console, and they have been
working since FC6 or so.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 03-19-2011, 11:34 PM
"compdoc"

>Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I just installed the recent qemu update on my KVM server which hosts my
VMs for
> local services. I stopped all VMs, did the upgrade, and reboot. Now none
of the
> VMs respond to mouse or have sound.

Does the keyboard work?

Just curious - you run the vm from a command line. Does your server run a
kde or gnome desktop, or does it boot to the command line?

Old 03-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Bill Davidsen

compdoc wrote:
>> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I just installed the recent qemu update on my KVM server which hosts my
> VMs for
>> local services. I stopped all VMs, did the upgrade, and reboot. Now none
> of the
>> VMs respond to mouse or have sound.
>
> Does the keyboard work?
>
> Just curious - you run the vm from a command line. Does your server run a
> kde or gnome desktop, or does it boot to the command line?

Boots into a standard login screen (GNOME) for the CentOS and FC1[034] servers,
and standard XP boot for the Windows test bed. These have all been working fine
until the latest qemu update. Keyboard works, mouse doesn't.

Does that give you any clues?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 03-20-2011, 03:40 PM
"compdoc"

> Keyboard works, mouse doesn't.
> Does that give you any clues?

I'm using qemu-kvm 0.14.0, and I have to run the command like this or
neither the mouse or keyboard works:

qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda svr.img -soundhw ac97 -k en-us -usbdevice tablet

Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 AM
Bill Davidsen

compdoc wrote:
>> Keyboard works, mouse doesn't.
>> Does that give you any clues?
>

> I'm using qemu-kvm 0.14.0, and I have to run the command like this or
> neither the mouse or keyboard works:
>
> qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda svr.img -soundhw ac97 -k en-us -usbdevice tablet

Have not previously used the "tablet" option for console, only for VNC
operation. So if that solves the problem it will be new behavior (I'll take it
as workaround if it works, though).

I'll report after I try it, been a long day.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 03-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Bill Davidsen

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> compdoc wrote:
>>> Keyboard works, mouse doesn't.
>>> Does that give you any clues?
>>

>> I'm using qemu-kvm 0.14.0, and I have to run the command like this or
>> neither the mouse or keyboard works:
>>
>> qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda svr.img -soundhw ac97 -k en-us -usbdevice tablet
>>
> Have not previously used the "tablet" option for console, only for VNC
> operation. So if that solves the problem it will be new behavior (I'll take it
> as workaround if it works, though).
>
> I'll report after I try it, been a long day.

Using the tablet option restores functionality, although it's not clear why
anything was deliberately changed with the recent qemu update. I tested on a
number of VMs, including the new Scientific Linux (similar to CentOS) release.
Works perfectly, both the screen and the SL-6.0 release. Going on a few servers
next week for "real testing."

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 03-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Ken Smith

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:

>>> I'm using qemu-kvm 0.14.0, and I have to run the command like this or
>>> neither the mouse or keyboard works:
>>>
>>> qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda svr.img -soundhw ac97 -k en-us -usbdevice tablet
>>>

>> Have not previously used the "tablet" option for console, only for VNC
>> operation. So if that solves the problem it will be new behavior (I'll take it
>> as workaround if it works, though).
>>
>> I'll report after I try it, been a long day.
>>

> Using the tablet option restores functionality, although it's not clear why
> anything was deliberately changed with the recent qemu update. I tested on a
> number of VMs, including the new Scientific Linux (similar to CentOS) release.
> Works perfectly, both the screen and the SL-6.0 release. Going on a few servers
> next week for "real testing."

This might be related. On my FC13 system, on 22 Mar, qemu went from

qemu-common-0.12.5-1.fc13.x86_64 to -> qemu-common-0.13.0-1.fc13.x86_64

After that update an XP vm no longer boots. Win 7 and Centos VM's are
fine. The XP vm was installed with the work-around of booting from an
iso image of the XP install disk and being allowed to time out and then
starting the system on the hard disk image. The XP install image will
boot and the XP repair option that appears early in the XP install
sequence can mount the disk. It's native fixmbr/fixboot commands don't help.

If I attach the xp vm's disk to the Win 7 vm all the files are visible.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Ken Smith

Ken Smith wrote:
> {snip}
> This might be related. On my FC13 system, on 22 Mar, qemu went from
>
> qemu-common-0.12.5-1.fc13.x86_64 to -> qemu-common-0.13.0-1.fc13.x86_64
>
> After that update an XP vm no longer boots. Win 7 and Centos VM's are
> fine. The XP vm was installed with the work-around of booting from an
> iso image of the XP install disk and being allowed to time out and then
> starting the system on the hard disk image. The XP install image will
> boot and the XP repair option that appears early in the XP install
> sequence can mount the disk. It's native fixmbr/fixboot commands don't help.
>
> If I attach the xp vm's disk to the Win 7 vm all the files are visible.
>
> Any suggestions
>
> Thanks
>
> Ken

Update: I have installed new XP guest system and copied the whole
filesystem from the non-booting one over the new XP filesystem and it
now boots fine without the workaround of booting via the XP install iso
image. XP had a bit of a tantrum over its own activation process but
that is OK now.

:-) Ken

believed to be clean.