FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default Brasero to create video DVD?

On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 14:33 -0400, Alex wrote:
> Lots of questions today. I'm trying to use brasero on fc14 x86_64 to
> create a DVD video from an AVI that I downloaded, and was just
> wondering what people's opinion was of this program?

You need to be clearer about what you want to do. Is the DVD meant to be
simply a backup of the AVI files or do you want to author a disk that
can be read by any commercial DVD player (meaning you have at least have
to convert the files to MPEG2 and create the standard DVD file
structure)? These are two completely different requirements. Note that
many modern players can actually play AVI files directly from a DVD, so
that may be good enough and is certainly easier to do, but you'll lose
some DVD-like features.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Chris Smart
 
Default Brasero to create video DVD?

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 5:33 AM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lots of questions today. I'm trying to use brasero on fc14 x86_64 to
> create a DVD video from an AVI that I downloaded, and was just
> wondering what people's opinion was of this program?
>

sudo yum erase brasero
sudo yum install k3b

Problem solved.

-c
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-19-2011, 08:52 PM
JD
 
Default Brasero to create video DVD?

On 03/19/2011 11:33 AM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lots of questions today. I'm trying to use brasero on fc14 x86_64 to
> create a DVD video from an AVI that I downloaded, and was just
> wondering what people's opinion was of this program?
>
> While it seems to complete, it also just exits abruptly (disappears,
> really), and leaves the following in brasero-session.log:
>
> BraseroVob gstavidemux.c(5134): gst_avi_demux_loop ():
> /GstPipelineipeline2/GstDecodeBin:decodebin2/GstAviDemux:avidemux2:
> streaming stopped, reason not-negotiated
> BraseroVob called brasero_job_error
> BraseroVob finished with an error
> BraseroVob asked to stop because of an error
> error = 1
> message = "Internal data stream error."
> BraseroVob stopping
> Session error : Internal data stream error. (brasero_burn_record
> brasero-burn.c:2839)
>
> Is this normal? Can you recommend another program that an average
> desktop user (my father-in-law) could use to burn a DVD from an AVI?
>
> I've tried de-ve-de, and although I like it, it's probably too
> complicated for him. Even a command-line application or script that
> could be run would be acceptable, as long as it didn't require a bunch
> of input decisions along the way.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
> Best regards,
> Alex
I have not had any success creating video DVD's (from avi or mp4
....etc) files
using brasero.
I have had success using

devede-3.16.9-1.fc13.noarch installs /usr/bin/devede
or
dvda-author-09.05-1.i386 installs /usr/bin/dvda-author
or
dvdauthor-0.7.0-1.pm.1.2.i686 installs /usr/bin/dvdauthor

/usr/bin/dvddirdel
/usr/bin/dvdunauthor
/usr/bin/mpeg2desc
/usr/bin/spumux
/usr/bin/spuunmux

DVDAuthorWizard-1.4.6-3.fc11.noarch installs /usr/bin/dvdauthorwizard

/usr/bin/dvdauthorwizard is a nice GUI interface for dvdauthor


Good luck
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-20-2011, 02:32 AM
Alex
 
Default Brasero to create video DVD?

Hi,

> I have not had any success creating video DVD's (from avi or mp4
> ....etc) files
> using brasero.

Yes, to answer another post from this thread, I am indeed trying to
create a standard DVD movie from an AVI for an older regular DVD
player that doesn't directly play AVIs.

> I have had success using
>
> devede-3.16.9-1.fc13.noarch * installs * /usr/bin/devede
> or
> dvda-author-09.05-1.i386 * * * installs */usr/bin/dvda-author
> or
> dvdauthor-0.7.0-1.pm.1.2.i686 *installs * * /usr/bin/dvdauthor
>
> /usr/bin/dvddirdel
> /usr/bin/dvdunauthor
> /usr/bin/mpeg2desc
> /usr/bin/spumux
> /usr/bin/spuunmux
>
> DVDAuthorWizard-1.4.6-3.fc11.noarch * installs */usr/bin/dvdauthorwizard

I must really be doing something wrong with dvdauthorwizard, because
even after installing 250MB of dependencies, it doesn't run properly.
A box is produced that says "The Kommander file
/usr/share/apps/DVDAuthorWizard/DVDAuthorWizard.kmdr does not have the
executable attribute set and could possibly contain dangerous
exploits." Proceeding to run "nevertheless" prints the following in
the xterm from which it was run:

# dvdauthorwizard -h
kbuildsycoca running...
Launched ok, pid = 3283
ALSA lib pulse.c:229pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
Connection refused

OggS-SEEK: at 0 want 78328 got 68160 (diff-requested 78328)
OggS-SEEK: at 78400 want 520 got 0 (diff-requested -77880)
Terminated

I think this is going to be more complex than I have time to address.
I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have so I can try it on my
desktop, but for this one I'm working on now, I think I'll just
uninstall for now and try brasero with all its faults again.

Thanks again,
Alex
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Chris Smart
 
Default Brasero to create video DVD?

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, to answer another post from this thread, I am indeed trying to
> create a standard DVD movie from an AVI for an older regular DVD
> player that doesn't directly play AVIs.
>

Here's how you can create a basic DVD (no editing and no DVD menu)
from existing videos files (you need to install ffmpeg and dvdauthor
first). If you need to edit your files, try pitivi, kdenlive,
openshot, kino, avidemux, cinelerra or LiVES
(http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/top5-linux-video-editing-system-software/).
These programs can probably export to DVD also, including menus.

Still, being able to quickly create a DVD from a bunch of existing
video is very handy
(http://radagast.bglug.ca/linux/dvd_authoring/dvd_authoring.html).

1) Convert your videos (from whatever format they are) to the DVD MPEG format:
ffmpeg -i my_movie.avi -target pal-dvd my_movie.mpg

2) Create DVD structure (this puts it into a directory called dvd):
dvdauthor --title --video=pal -o dvd -f mymovie.mpg

3) Create the DVD titles:
dvdauthor -o dvd -T

4) Turn the DVD into an ISO image (called dvd.iso), ready to burn to DVD:
mkisofs -dvd-video -o dvd.iso dvd/

Now you can play that dvd.iso in something like VLC to test it :-)

Of course you can easily add more videos using a simple for loop in
bash. Let's assume that you have arranged all your videos in a
directory called "video". Here's how to do it:

Go into your video directory:
cd video/

1) Convert your videos (from whatever format they are) to the DVD MPEG format:
for x in $(ls) ; do ffmpeg -i $x -target pal-dvd $x.mpg ; done

2) Create DVD structure (this puts it into a directory called dvd):
dvdauthor --title --video=pal -o dvd -f *.mpg

The last two steps are the same.

Burn your Image to disc using K3b, or something that works, like wodim.

-c
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-20-2011, 03:29 AM
JD
 
Default Brasero to create video DVD?

On 03/19/2011 08:32 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I have not had any success creating video DVD's (from avi or mp4
>> ....etc) files
>> using brasero.
> Yes, to answer another post from this thread, I am indeed trying to
> create a standard DVD movie from an AVI for an older regular DVD
> player that doesn't directly play AVIs.
>
>> I have had success using
>>
>> devede-3.16.9-1.fc13.noarch installs /usr/bin/devede
>> or
>> dvda-author-09.05-1.i386 installs /usr/bin/dvda-author
>> or
>> dvdauthor-0.7.0-1.pm.1.2.i686 installs /usr/bin/dvdauthor
>>
>> /usr/bin/dvddirdel
>> /usr/bin/dvdunauthor
>> /usr/bin/mpeg2desc
>> /usr/bin/spumux
>> /usr/bin/spuunmux
>>
>> DVDAuthorWizard-1.4.6-3.fc11.noarch installs /usr/bin/dvdauthorwizard
> I must really be doing something wrong with dvdauthorwizard, because
> even after installing 250MB of dependencies, it doesn't run properly.
> A box is produced that says "The Kommander file
> /usr/share/apps/DVDAuthorWizard/DVDAuthorWizard.kmdr does not have the
> executable attribute set and could possibly contain dangerous
> exploits." Proceeding to run "nevertheless" prints the following in
> the xterm from which it was run:
>
> # dvdauthorwizard -h
> kbuildsycoca running...
> Launched ok, pid = 3283
> ALSA lib pulse.c:229pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
> Connection refused
>
> OggS-SEEK: at 0 want 78328 got 68160 (diff-requested 78328)
> OggS-SEEK: at 78400 want 520 got 0 (diff-requested -77880)
> Terminated
>
> I think this is going to be more complex than I have time to address.
> I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have so I can try it on my
> desktop, but for this one I'm working on now, I think I'll just
> uninstall for now and try brasero with all its faults again.
>
> Thanks again,
> Alex
Did you try devede-3.16.9-1.fc13.noarch ?

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-20-2011, 03:39 AM
JD
 
Default Brasero to create video DVD?

On 03/19/2011 08:48 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
> 2) Create DVD structure (this puts it into a directory called dvd):
> dvdauthor --title --video=pal -o dvd -f mymovie.mpg
>
> 3) Create the DVD titles:
> dvdauthor -o dvd -T
Is it possible to combine 2 and 3 into a single invocation?

Also, perhaps the 4th step wold be better as:

growisofs -dvd-compat -dvd-video -speed=2 -Z /dev/sr0 dvd

which creates iso and burns the media.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-20-2011, 04:27 AM
Chris Smart
 
Default Brasero to create video DVD?

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 3:39 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to combine 2 and 3 into a single invocation?
>

Most likely, but I was breaking out the steps for clarification of
what's actually happening.

> Also, perhaps the 4th step wold be better as:
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -dvd-video -speed=2 -Z /dev/sr0 dvd
>
> which creates iso and burns the media.

Yep, I do that myself, but it's probably good to create an image to
test first, to make sure you've got what you want.

Also, one need to change the DVD encoding for their region, i.e. PAL or NTSC.

-c
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default Brasero to create video DVD?

On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 23:32 -0400, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I have not had any success creating video DVD's (from avi or mp4
> > ....etc) files
> > using brasero.
>
> Yes, to answer another post from this thread, I am indeed trying to
> create a standard DVD movie from an AVI for an older regular DVD
> player that doesn't directly play AVIs.

Try this: http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Tovid_Wiki
It doesn't appear to be in the Fedora repos for some reason, but I've
had some success with it in the past. As it's basically a bunch of
scripts you can always experiment.

poc


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 AM
JD
 
Default Brasero to create video DVD?

On 03/20/2011 04:19 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 23:32 -0400, Alex wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I have not had any success creating video DVD's (from avi or mp4
>>> ....etc) files
>>> using brasero.
>> Yes, to answer another post from this thread, I am indeed trying to
>> create a standard DVD movie from an AVI for an older regular DVD
>> player that doesn't directly play AVIs.
> Try this: http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Tovid_Wiki
> It doesn't appear to be in the Fedora repos for some reason, but I've
> had some success with it in the past. As it's basically a bunch of
> scripts you can always experiment.
>
> poc
>
>
tovid is a wrapper for dvdauthor.
dvdauthor is a dependency for tovid.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:34 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org