-   -   Missing volume applet? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/503006-missing-volume-applet.html)

JB 03-19-2011 05:03 PM

Missing volume applet?

Alex <mysqlstudent <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure it's still called an "applet", but the little volume
> control in the upper-right is missing on the panel on my fc14 system.
> How can I get it back?
>
> The little network icon is also missing. I have no idea how this
> happened. The clock and username are still there, though.
>
> What happens if I delete that panel and recreate it?
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
> Best regards,
> Alex

[jb@localhost ~]$ which gnome-volume-control
/usr/bin/gnome-volume-control
[jb@localhost ~]$ which gnome-volume-control-applet
/usr/bin/gnome-volume-control-applet
[jb@localhost ~]$

$ yum list gnome-media

This is the same app as under:
System-Preferences-Sound

Make sure it is activated there, best to view and control with:
$ yum list alacarte

JB

JB 03-19-2011 05:18 PM

Missing volume applet?

JB <jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > The little network icon is also missing. I have no idea how this
> > happened. The clock and username are still there, though.

The other one is (I assume):
$ yum info NetworkManager-gnome

JB

Michael Schwendt 03-19-2011 05:21 PM

Missing volume applet?

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 13:42:42 -0400, Alex wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure it's still called an "applet", but the little volume
> control in the upper-right is missing on the panel on my fc14 system.
> How can I get it back?

Make sure you add the "Notification area" applet to your panel.
That's where those _special_ "applet" icons appear.

Alex 03-19-2011 05:23 PM

Missing volume applet?

Hi,

>> I'm not sure it's still called an "applet", but the little volume
>> control in the upper-right is missing on the panel on my fc14 system.
>> How can I get it back?
>
> Make sure you add the "Notification area" applet to your panel.
> That's where those _special_ "applet" icons appear.

That did it, thanks so much.

Best,
Alex

Alex 03-19-2011 05:25 PM

Missing volume applet?

Hi,

>> I'm not sure it's still called an "applet", but the little volume
>> control in the upper-right is missing on the panel on my fc14 system.
>> How can I get it back?
>>
>> The little network icon is also missing. I have no idea how this
>> happened. The clock and username are still there, though.
>>
>> What happens if I delete that panel and recreate it?

> [jb@localhost ~]$ which gnome-volume-control
> /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control
> [jb@localhost ~]$ which gnome-volume-control-applet
> /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control-applet
> [jb@localhost ~]$
>
> $ yum list gnome-media
>
> This is the same app as under:
> System-Preferences-Sound
>
> Make sure it is activated there, best to view and control with:
> $ yum list alacarte

These were all installed. When I run gnome-volume-control, it just
prints a box that says "waiting for sound system to respond". Is it
that it can't determine which is the proper sound card to use?

Also, while I kind of understand what alacarte does, there doesn't
seem to be anything there that specifically relates to the volume
control. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Alex

JB 03-19-2011 05:44 PM

Missing volume applet?

Alex <mysqlstudent <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> >> I'm not sure it's still called an "applet", but the little volume
> >> control in the upper-right is missing on the panel on my fc14 system.
> >> How can I get it back?
> >>
> >> The little network icon is also missing. I have no idea how this
> >> happened. The clock and username are still there, though.
> >>
> >> What happens if I delete that panel and recreate it?
>

> > [jb <at> localhost ~]$ which gnome-volume-control
> > /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control
> > [jb <at> localhost ~]$ which gnome-volume-control-applet
> > /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control-applet
> > [jb <at> localhost ~]$
> >
> > $ yum list gnome-media
> >
> > This is the same app as under:
> > System-Preferences-Sound
> >
> > Make sure it is activated there, best to view and control with:
> > $ yum list alacarte
>
> These were all installed. When I run gnome-volume-control, it just
> prints a box that says "waiting for sound system to respond". Is it
> that it can't determine which is the proper sound card to use?

Google search: waiting for sound system to respond
e.g.
Solution
Go to System->Preferences -> Startup Applications
Make sure you’re in the tab ‘Startup programs’
-> Click on ‘Add’
Name: Pulseaudio daemon
Command:/usr/bin/pulseaudio
Comment: Start the sound daemon

Now logout, then login again

> Also, while I kind of understand what alacarte does, there doesn't
> seem to be anything there that specifically relates to the volume
> control. Am I missing something?
For alacarte:
System-Preferences-Main Menu

then expand Preferences
scroll down to bottom to see
Sound
Startup Applications

Check off Sound
right-click on Sound to see Properties, etc

JB

JB 03-19-2011 05:56 PM

Missing volume applet?

JB <jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Google search: waiting for sound system to respond
> e.g.
> Solution
> Go to System->Preferences -> Startup Applications
> Make sure you’re in the tab ‘Startup programs’
> -> Click on ‘Add’
> Name: Pulseaudio daemon
> Command:/usr/bin/pulseaudio
> Comment: Start the sound daemon
>
> Now logout, then login again

I hope you found them under Fedora - they are named differently :-)
Pulse Audio Sound System
and
Pulse Audio Sound System KDE ...

Also under System->Preferences -> Startup Applications

you will find and the very bottom
Volume Control (Show desktop volume control)
check it off
You may verify the command by pressin on it and looking it up under Edit.

Also NetworkManager applet.

JB

Alex 03-20-2011 02:09 AM

Missing volume applet?

Hi,

>> These were all installed. When I run gnome-volume-control, it just
>> prints a box that says "waiting for sound system to respond". Is it
>> that it can't determine which is the proper sound card to use?
>>

> Google search: waiting for sound system to respond
> e.g.
> Solution
> Go to System->Preferences -> Startup Applications
> Make sure you’re in the tab ‘Startup programs’
> -> Click on ‘Add’
> Name: Pulseaudio daemon

I think I too often assume that people know I would have already tried
that before coming here. pulseaudio was already running, but it still
displayed that message.

> Command:/usr/bin/pulseaudio
> Comment: Start the sound daemon
>
> Now logout, then login again
>
>> Also, while I kind of understand what alacarte does, there doesn't
>> seem to be anything there that specifically relates to the volume
>> control. Am I missing something?
> For alacarte:
> System-Preferences-Main Menu

I see. It's basically used to build the menus and the applications
that are associated with the various menu items.

Thanks again,
Alex