Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Steven I Usdansky

Default Disable loading of nouveau driver for installing NVidia driver

I've been known to move the nouveau.ko file to /root in order to
prevent it from loading. Overkill, but it worked for me (I'm now
usingthe nouveau driver, so I no longer need to do this).

Old 03-19-2011, 05:19 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 03/19/2011 11:09 AM, Mark Ryden wrote:
> Hello,
> I tried to install NVIdia driver from their site for GeForce 8400 GS
> display card.
> I ahve F12 x86_64.

Have you tried the rpmfusion nvidia drivers? I use them on F13, and I
don't have to do anything special for my brand-spanking-new GT218 card.
Nouveau gracefully gets out of the way. I don't have to re-build the
nvidia drivers, RPMFusion does that for me. Running in 32-bit now, but
that will soon change to 64-bit when I upgrade to F15....

> I downloaded from NVidia site this file:
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.44.run which is a 64 bit setup for Linux
> I tried to run it from terminal.
> I got an error message that nouveau driver must not be loaded.
> I cannot rmmod it because of dependencies.
> The installer suggested that I will agee to add a file to
> /etc/modprobe.d, which
> will disable the installation. I agreed and it added a file named
> nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf;
> this file has 2 lines only:
> blacklist nouveau
> options nouveau modeset=0

The file RPMFUsion put there contains:
> # RPM Fusion blacklist for nouveau driver - you need to run as root:
> # dracut -f /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
> # if nouveau is loaded despite this file.
> blacklist nouveau

Maybe that information is useful to you....

> Nevertheless, after boot, the nouveau driver is **still* loaded.
> What should I do ?

HTH, good luck!

--
Kevin J. Cummings