FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Martin Airs
 
Default My "swap" space seems to have vanished....

On Friday 18 Mar 2011 14:46:23 DB wrote:
> df
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda2 28833848 5518600 23022388 20% /
> tmpfs 1899484 1068 1898416 1% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda1 474440 50462 399481 12% /boot
> /dev/sda3 288370940 26611056 247111416 10% /home
>

df -h on my system doesn't show swap either

[martin@desktop ~]$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root
22G 20G 904M 96% /
tmpfs 1005M 3.3M 1001M 1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1 194M 62M 123M 34% /boot
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_home
50G 38G 9.5G 80% /home
/dev/sdb1 112G 95G 18G 85% /media/disk

>
> Dave
>
> uname -ar
> Linux Fedora-Blue 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Feb 7 07:06:44 UTC
> 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

however if i type free -m
[martin@desktop ~]$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2008 1759 248 0 100 585
-/+ buffers/cache: 1073 934
Swap: 3967 16 3951

my swap is indeed there, does free show swap on your system??

Martin
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-18-2011, 02:42 PM
"Michael D. Setzer II"
 
Default My "swap" space seems to have vanished....

On 18 Mar 2011 at 15:34, Martin Airs wrote:

From: Martin Airs <martin@airs.me.uk>
To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Re: My "swap" space seems to have vanished....
Date sent: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:34:10 +0000
Send reply to: Martin Airs <martin@airs.me.uk>,
Community support for Fedora users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
<mailto:users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=unsubscrib e>
<mailto:users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

> On Friday 18 Mar 2011 14:46:23 DB wrote:
> > df
> > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda2 28833848 5518600 23022388 20% /
> > tmpfs 1899484 1068 1898416 1% /dev/shm
> > /dev/sda1 474440 50462 399481 12% /boot
> > /dev/sda3 288370940 26611056 247111416 10% /home
> >
>

Your swap is part of the LVM partitions.
cat /proc/partitions

On mine it shows
major minor #blocks name

8 0 488386584 sda
8 1 204800 sda1
8 2 32696288 sda2
8 3 455482912 sda3
253 0 27123712 dm-0
253 1 5570560 dm-1

In this case dm-1 is the swap partition.

swapon -s shows the status of the swap.

On my system.
Filename Type Size Used Priority
/dev/dm-1 partition 5570556 2156 -1




> df -h on my system doesn't show swap either
>
> [martin@desktop ~]$ df -h
> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root
> 22G 20G 904M 96% /
> tmpfs 1005M 3.3M 1001M 1% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda1 194M 62M 123M 34% /boot
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_home
> 50G 38G 9.5G 80% /home
> /dev/sdb1 112G 95G 18G 85% /media/disk
>
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > uname -ar
> > Linux Fedora-Blue 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Feb 7 07:06:44 UTC
> > 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> however if i type free -m
> [martin@desktop ~]$ free -m
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 2008 1759 248 0 100 585
> -/+ buffers/cache: 1073 934
> Swap: 3967 16 3951
>
> my swap is indeed there, does free show swap on your system??
>
> Martin
>


+----------------------------------------------------------+
Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
Guam Community College Computer Center
mailto:mikes@kuentos.guam.net
mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
Guam - Where America's Day Begins
G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/
+----------------------------------------------------------+

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
Number of Seti Units Returned: 19,471
Processing time: 32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 10474090.320892 | EINSTEIN 5585927.860851
ROSETTA 2919362.839735 | ABC 4953969.420929

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Rick Stevens
 
Default My "swap" space seems to have vanished....

On 03/18/2011 06:46 AM, DB wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just gone wild& updated my system to a 64 bit monster, installed F14
> without problem....
>
> BUT....
>
> When I look at SystemManager, it lists that there is no swap space& no
> swap space available...
>
> I remember setting Swap in an extended partition, then df tells me:
>
> df
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda2 28833848 5518600 23022388 20% /
> tmpfs 1899484 1068 1898416 1% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda1 474440 50462 399481 12% /boot
> /dev/sda3 288370940 26611056 247111416 10% /home
>
> Fdisk gives me:
>
> sudo fdisk -l
> [sudo] password for Dave:
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x000b4b1d
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sda1 * 63 979964 489951 83 Linux
> /dev/sda2 979965 59569019 29294527+ 83 Linux
> /dev/sda3 59569020 645507764 292969372+ 83 Linux
> /dev/sda4 645507765 1953520064 654006150 5 Extended
> /dev/sda5 645507828 647098199 795186 82 Linux swap / Solaris
>
>
> Which seems to me to suggest that the swap partition exists.
>
> Anyone got any thoughts on how to get the swap recognised??
>
> As ever, great thanks to you all for your help and support!

swap isn't a mounted filesystem in the classic sense and won't show up
in a df or du. You can use "swapon -s" to see swap usage. It also
shows up as an aggregate in "free" or "top".
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting ricks@nerd.com -
- AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
- -
- "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?" "I don't remember" -
- -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -
----------------------------------------------------------------------
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Mark LaPierre
 
Default My "swap" space seems to have vanished....

On 03/18/2011 12:27 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 03/18/2011 06:46 AM, DB wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just gone wild& updated my system to a 64 bit monster, installed F14
>> without problem....
>>
>> BUT....
>>
>> When I look at SystemManager, it lists that there is no swap space& no
>> swap space available...
>>
>> I remember setting Swap in an extended partition, then df tells me:
>>
>> df
>> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/sda2 28833848 5518600 23022388 20% /
>> tmpfs 1899484 1068 1898416 1% /dev/shm
>> /dev/sda1 474440 50462 399481 12% /boot
>> /dev/sda3 288370940 26611056 247111416 10% /home
>>
>> Fdisk gives me:
>>
>> sudo fdisk -l
>> [sudo] password for Dave:
>>
>> Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
>> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
>> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
>> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
>> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
>> Disk identifier: 0x000b4b1d
>>
>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>> /dev/sda1 * 63 979964 489951 83 Linux
>> /dev/sda2 979965 59569019 29294527+ 83 Linux
>> /dev/sda3 59569020 645507764 292969372+ 83 Linux
>> /dev/sda4 645507765 1953520064 654006150 5 Extended
>> /dev/sda5 645507828 647098199 795186 82 Linux swap / Solaris
>>
>>
>> Which seems to me to suggest that the swap partition exists.
>>
>> Anyone got any thoughts on how to get the swap recognised??
>>
>> As ever, great thanks to you all for your help and support!
> swap isn't a mounted filesystem in the classic sense and won't show up
> in a df or du. You can use "swapon -s" to see swap usage. It also
> shows up as an aggregate in "free" or "top".
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting ricks@nerd.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
> - -
> - "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?" "I don't remember" -
> - -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can also see your swap status using Applications/system tools/system
monitor. Check the Resources tab.

--
v
/(_)
^ ^ Mark LaPierre
Registerd Linux user No #267004
www.counter.li.org
****
In a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today.
**
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it.
To mess up an MS Windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html
'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****
--
Signature shamelessly copied from:
Jatin Khatri& geleem

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-19-2011, 11:24 AM
DB
 
Default My "swap" space seems to have vanished....

On 03/18/2011 04:42 PM, users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
> Subject:
> Re: My "swap" space seems to have vanished....
> From:
> "Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes@kuentos.guam.net>
> Date:
> Sat, 19 Mar 2011 01:42:33 +1000
>
> To:
> Martin Airs <martin@airs.me.uk>, users@lists.fedoraproject.org
>
>
> On 18 Mar 2011 at 15:34, Martin Airs wrote:
>
> From: Martin Airs<martin@airs.me.uk>
> To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Subject: Re: My "swap" space seems to have vanished....
> Date sent: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:34:10 +0000
> Send reply to: Martin Airs<martin@airs.me.uk>,
> Community support for Fedora users<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
> <mailto:users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=unsubscrib e>
> <mailto:users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>
>
>> > On Friday 18 Mar 2011 14:46:23 DB wrote:
>>> > > df
>>> > > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
>>> > > /dev/sda2 28833848 5518600 23022388 20% /
>>> > > tmpfs 1899484 1068 1898416 1% /dev/shm
>>> > > /dev/sda1 474440 50462 399481 12% /boot
>>> > > /dev/sda3 288370940 26611056 247111416 10% /home
>>> > >
>> >
> Your swap is part of the LVM partitions.

I don't have LVM partitions - at least, I never set any up!!!

> cat /proc/partitions
>
> On mine it shows
> major minor #blocks name
>
> 8 0 488386584 sda
> 8 1 204800 sda1
> 8 2 32696288 sda2
> 8 3 455482912 sda3
> 253 0 27123712 dm-0
> 253 1 5570560 dm-1
>
> In this case dm-1 is the swap partition.
>
> swapon -s shows the status of the swap.
>
> On my system.
> Filename Type Size Used Priority
> /dev/dm-1 partition 5570556 2156 -1

Yes, mine is similar
swapon -s
Filename Type Size Used Priority
/dev/sdb5 partition 2047996 0 -1

>
>
>
>
>> > df -h on my system doesn't show swap either
>> >
>> > [martin@desktop ~]$ df -h
>> > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> > /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root
>> > 22G 20G 904M 96% /
>> > tmpfs 1005M 3.3M 1001M 1% /dev/shm
>> > /dev/sda1 194M 62M 123M 34% /boot
>> > /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_home
>> > 50G 38G 9.5G 80% /home
>> > /dev/sdb1 112G 95G 18G 85% /media/disk
>> >
>>> > >
>>> > > Dave
>>> > >
>>> > > uname -ar
>>> > > Linux Fedora-Blue 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Feb 7 07:06:44 UTC
>>> > > 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> >
>> > however if i type free -m
>> > [martin@desktop ~]$ free -m
>> > total used free shared buffers cached
>> > Mem: 2008 1759 248 0 100 585
>> > -/+ buffers/cache: 1073 934
>> > Swap: 3967 16 3951
>> >
>> > my swap is indeed there, does free show swap on your system??

Indeed:
free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3709 2013 1696 0 102 1139
-/+ buffers/cache: 770 2939
Swap: 1999 0 1999

>> >
>> > Martin
>> >


Thanks all for the many suggestions!

Strangely, just after I sent my original mail, System Monitor suddenly
decided, all on its own, to add the 2GB swap partition....??????? I
think I must have a Gremlin somewhere!

Anyway, things appear to be (back to) "normal"!

Thanks again

Dave
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Joel Rees
 
Default My "swap" space seems to have vanished....

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM, DB <Freddog_de@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/18/2011 04:42 PM, users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
>> Subject:
>> Re: My "swap" space seems to have vanished....
>> From:
>> "Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes@kuentos.guam.net>
>> Date:
>> Sat, 19 Mar 2011 01:42:33 +1000
>>
>> To:
>> Martin Airs <martin@airs.me.uk>, users@lists.fedoraproject.org
>>
>>
>> On 18 Mar 2011 at 15:34, Martin Airs wrote:
>>
>> From: Martin Airs<martin@airs.me.uk>
>> To: * users@lists.fedoraproject.org
>> Subject: * * *Re: My "swap" space seems to have vanished....
>> Date sent: * *Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:34:10 +0000
>> Send reply to: * * * *Martin Airs<martin@airs.me.uk>,
>> * * * Community support for Fedora users<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
>> * * * <mailto:users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=unsubscrib e>
>> * * * <mailto:users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>
>>
>>> > *On Friday 18 Mar 2011 14:46:23 DB wrote:
>>>> > *> * * df
>>>> > *> *Filesystem * * * * * 1K-blocks * * *Used Available Use% Mounted on
>>>> > *> */dev/sda2 * * * * * * 28833848 * 5518600 *23022388 *20% /
>>>> > *> *tmpfs * * * * * * * * *1899484 * * *1068 * 1898416 * 1% /dev/shm
>>>> > *> */dev/sda1 * * * * * * * 474440 * * 50462 * *399481 *12% /boot
>>>> > *> */dev/sda3 * * * * * *288370940 *26611056 247111416 *10% /home
>>>> > *>
>>> >
>> Your swap is part of the LVM partitions.
>
> I don't have LVM partitions - at least, I never set any up!!!

That should have been, "either LVM (managed) or (within a) DOS
Extended partition".

The basic (or, "physical") DOS partitioning scheme was invented when
hard disks were relatively small and DOS was really limited anyway,
and it was assumed that it would not form the basis of any serious OS.
(Serious and deliberate lack of foresight on the part of one of the
now richest men in the world.)

So somebody invented a scheme of extending the basic DOS partition
map, but only one partition could be extended that way. I looked back
up in the thread, and that was partition 4 in yours.

Probably, when you were setting up your partitions, gparted told you,
"You can't have more than that without making an extended (DOS
extended, or, "logical") partion." and you did that without thinking
too hard about it.

LVM ("Logical Volume Manager") partitions can also be made in
something the same way, but the prompts that get you there are a
little more noticeable. Also, you can have more than one DOS BASE
partition on a drive be managed by LVM if you want to. (NOT
recommended! although I have done that for multi-booting purposes.)

But, yeah, your swap is not LVM managed. It's within a DOS
extended/logical partition.

> Strangely, just after I sent my original mail, System Monitor suddenly
> decided, all on its own, to add the 2GB swap partition....??????? I
> think I must have a Gremlin somewhere!

The gremlin you are thinking of was probably a stuck event queue, and
calling swapon may have (indirectly?) cleared it.

--
Joel Rees
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:16 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org