Old 02-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Christian Langer

Default F14 and grub

I was altering my /boot/grub/ folder on F14 on my hard drive. To do this I was using the F14 live dvd. (I was booting from my dvd drive for no particular reason).I was trying to create another splash.xpm.gz, other than to try something different). file, in /boot/grub/ (on the HD) which I did following directions e.g., 14 colors only, 480x640, save as splash.xpm, gzip, copy to /boot/grub. But now F14 (hard drive) will not boot; I get a flashing _ and that is it.So obviously I have done something more than just replace splash.xpm.gz. grub.conf looks the same as before I started. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Chris

Old 02-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Christian Langer wrote:

> Any suggestions?

Try:

sudo chown root:root splash.xpm.gz

Also, run, for selinux' sake:

sudo restorecon -v '/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz'

Since you cannot boot, you will need to do after booting from a rescue disk.
bfo.org or boot.iso should work, or, I believe, the original installation disk.

Perhaps, if that fails, try appending enforcing=0 to the grub kernel boot line.

You could also try appending rescue to the kernel boot line.

I don't have much else to suggest.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:

> bfo.org

Sorry, that should be bfo.iso from boot.fedoraproject.org.