FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Richard Shaw
 
Default yum erase the best way to do reverse dependency checking?

I was googling for a way to figure out a dependency chain for a
package I'm trying to flush out a spec file for and build. There
doesn't seem to be a non-destructive equivalent to "yum erase
<package>" to see if I need to explicitly include a package/program.

Anyone have a solution they like?

Thanks,
Richard
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Robert Nichols
 
Default yum erase the best way to do reverse dependency checking?

On 02/20/2011 12:04 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> I was googling for a way to figure out a dependency chain for a
> package I'm trying to flush out a spec file for and build. There
> doesn't seem to be a non-destructive equivalent to "yum erase
> <package>" to see if I need to explicitly include a package/program.
>
> Anyone have a solution they like?

Unless you use "-y" on the command line or have "assumeyes" in your
yum.conf file, yum is going to prompt for confirmation before actually
removing anything.

--
Bob Nichols "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
Do NOT delete it.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default yum erase the best way to do reverse dependency checking?

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 12:04:51 -0600,
Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was googling for a way to figure out a dependency chain for a
> package I'm trying to flush out a spec file for and build. There
> doesn't seem to be a non-destructive equivalent to "yum erase
> <package>" to see if I need to explicitly include a package/program.
>
> Anyone have a solution they like?

You should be able to use repoquery to do what you want.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Gordon Messmer
 
Default yum erase the best way to do reverse dependency checking?

On 02/20/2011 10:04 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> I was googling for a way to figure out a dependency chain for a
> package I'm trying to flush out a spec file for and build.

Spec files don't normally require the entire chain to be listed. What
problem are you trying to solve that isn't solved by listing the
"immediate" build or runtime requirements?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Richard Shaw
 
Default yum erase the best way to do reverse dependency checking?

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang@eburg.com> wrote:
> On 02/20/2011 10:04 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> I was googling for a way to figure out a dependency chain for a
>> package I'm trying to flush out a spec file for and build.
>
> Spec files don't normally require the entire chain to be listed. *What
> problem are you trying to solve that isn't solved by listing the
> "immediate" build or runtime requirements?

I was just tying to not be redundant. For instance, the package relies
on mlt and mlt-python. I don't have to include mlt because mlt-python
already requires it.

yum erase just doesn't seem like a very elegant solution...

Richard
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Richard Shaw
 
Default yum erase the best way to do reverse dependency checking?

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Robert Nichols
<rnicholsNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 02/20/2011 12:04 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> I was googling for a way to figure out a dependency chain for a
>> package I'm trying to flush out a spec file for and build. There
>> doesn't seem to be a non-destructive equivalent to "yum erase
>> <package>" to see if I need to explicitly include a package/program.
>>
>> Anyone have a solution they like?
>
> Unless you use "-y" on the command line or have "assumeyes" in your
> yum.conf file, yum is going to prompt for confirmation before actually
> removing anything.

Obviously. I was just trying to find a method that's failsafe. One
could argue that it's very easy to accidentally add -y or press y at
the prompt because that's what you're used to doing.

Richard
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default yum erase the best way to do reverse dependency checking?

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 08:15 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Robert Nichols
> <rnicholsNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
> > On 02/20/2011 12:04 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> >> I was googling for a way to figure out a dependency chain for a
> >> package I'm trying to flush out a spec file for and build. There
> >> doesn't seem to be a non-destructive equivalent to "yum erase
> >> <package>" to see if I need to explicitly include a package/program.
> >>
> >> Anyone have a solution they like?
> >
> > Unless you use "-y" on the command line or have "assumeyes" in your
> > yum.conf file, yum is going to prompt for confirmation before actually
> > removing anything.
>
> Obviously. I was just trying to find a method that's failsafe. One
> could argue that it's very easy to accidentally add -y or press y at
> the prompt because that's what you're used to doing.

echo N|yum erase foo

Not elegant but it works.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Richard Shaw
 
Default yum erase the best way to do reverse dependency checking?

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 08:15 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Robert Nichols
>> <rnicholsNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
>> > On 02/20/2011 12:04 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> >> I was googling for a way to figure out a dependency chain for a
>> >> package I'm trying to flush out a spec file for and build. There
>> >> doesn't seem to be a non-destructive equivalent to "yum erase
>> >> <package>" to see if I need to explicitly include a package/program.
>> >>
>> >> Anyone have a solution they like?
>> >
>> > Unless you use "-y" on the command line or have "assumeyes" in your
>> > yum.conf file, yum is going to prompt for confirmation before actually
>> > removing anything.
>>
>> Obviously. I was just trying to find a method that's failsafe. One
>> could argue that it's very easy to accidentally add -y or press y at
>> the prompt because that's what you're used to doing.
>
> echo N|yum erase foo
>
> Not elegant but it works.

Hmmm.... I could wrap that in my own shell script to make it more
memorable. Something like "depcheck" or the like.

Thanks,
Richard
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Robert Nichols
 
Default yum erase the best way to do reverse dependency checking?

On 02/21/2011 08:37 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 08:15 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Robert Nichols
>> <rnicholsNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> On 02/20/2011 12:04 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>>> I was googling for a way to figure out a dependency chain for a
>>>> package I'm trying to flush out a spec file for and build. There
>>>> doesn't seem to be a non-destructive equivalent to "yum erase
>>>> <package>" to see if I need to explicitly include a package/program.
>>>>
>>>> Anyone have a solution they like?
>>>
>>> Unless you use "-y" on the command line or have "assumeyes" in your
>>> yum.conf file, yum is going to prompt for confirmation before actually
>>> removing anything.
>>
>> Obviously. I was just trying to find a method that's failsafe. One
>> could argue that it's very easy to accidentally add -y or press y at
>> the prompt because that's what you're used to doing.
>
> echo N|yum erase foo
>
> Not elegant but it works.

Even if someone has "assumeyes" in the yum.conf file? Pardon me, but
I'm reluctant to test that.

--
Bob Nichols "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
Do NOT delete it.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Robert Nichols
 
Default yum erase the best way to do reverse dependency checking?

On 02/21/2011 08:14 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Gordon Messmer<yinyang@eburg.com> wrote:
>> On 02/20/2011 10:04 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>> I was googling for a way to figure out a dependency chain for a
>>> package I'm trying to flush out a spec file for and build.
>>
>> Spec files don't normally require the entire chain to be listed. What
>> problem are you trying to solve that isn't solved by listing the
>> "immediate" build or runtime requirements?
>
> I was just tying to not be redundant. For instance, the package relies
> on mlt and mlt-python. I don't have to include mlt because mlt-python
> already requires it.

You should include in your dependencies all the things you directly
require and not worry about redundancy. You should not assume that
you don't need to require Package-B because you also require
Package-A, and Package-A requires Package-B. Those dependencies
can change. Let's say that one day Package-B gets split into
Package-B and Package-B-libs, and Package-A now just requires
Package-B-libs. If your actual need is for Package-B, you would
get a run-time failure if Package-B was not installed.

--
Bob Nichols "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
Do NOT delete it.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:16 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org