Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default Boot XP problem -

I bought this computer with Windows XP installed. I removed the hard
drive it came with and installed the hard drives from the computer
it replaced. That went well except that the Win-XP on the "old"
disks knew it had moved and refuses to boot. So this morning I
thought I'll install the original drive as a third drive and change
grub.conf to fit.

That done Win XP will not boot, produces an error message:

Error 12: Invalid or unsupported executable format.

I can mount the drive in F-14 and list the directory.

I took my best guess at the grub designation for the drive:

title Windows-XP-Pro
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

It had been:

title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Fdisk shows the drive details as:

[root@box9 bobg]# fdisk /dev/sdc

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdc: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488
sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xc1c1c1c1

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 * 63 156280319 78140128+ 7
HPFS/NTFS

Command (m for help):

What am I doing wrong or is Windows refusing to boot because the
drive is not where it wants it?

Any thoughts/help appreciated.

Bob
.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:19 PM
JD

On 02/19/2011 10:12 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I bought this computer with Windows XP installed. I removed the hard
> drive it came with and installed the hard drives from the computer
> it replaced. That went well except that the Win-XP on the "old"
> disks knew it had moved and refuses to boot. So this morning I
> thought I'll install the original drive as a third drive and change
> grub.conf to fit.
>
> That done Win XP will not boot, produces an error message:
>
> Error 12: Invalid or unsupported executable format.
>
> I can mount the drive in F-14 and list the directory.
>
> I took my best guess at the grub designation for the drive:
>
> title Windows-XP-Pro
> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> chainloader +1
>
> It had been:
>
> title Other
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> chainloader +1
>
> Fdisk shows the drive details as:
>
> [root@box9 bobg]# fdisk /dev/sdc
>
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/sdc: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488
> sectors
> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0xc1c1c1c1
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sdc1 * 63 156280319 78140128+ 7
> HPFS/NTFS
>
> Command (m for help):
>
> What am I doing wrong or is Windows refusing to boot because the
> drive is not where it wants it?
>
> Any thoughts/help appreciated.
>
> Bob
> .
>
> --

If the drive is seen as /dev/hdc, why do you then
say in grub.conf that it is hd1,0 ???
It should be hd2,0

Try it and see if that works.