Old 02-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default how to save mjpeg -

I have some cameras watching the pasture and I usually view the
image via VLC although other app's do work. How can I save a
video clip? I see no provision for saving in the VLC or smplayer
menus.

Am I missing something or is there a reason why this can't be
accomplished easily?

Bob

Old 02-18-2011, 03:24 PM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On 02/18/2011 03:42 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I have some cameras watching the pasture and I usually view the
> image via VLC although other app's do work. How can I save a
> video clip? I see no provision for saving in the VLC or smplayer
> menus.
>
> Am I missing something or is there a reason why this can't be
> accomplished easily?
>
> Bob
>
> --

Just using wget on the mjpeg URL for the Axis IP-Cameras I have access to here
works fine (you get some junk until the next frame boundary but e.g. mplayer/vlc
have no problem playing the resulting file and a bit of xxd/dd fiddling or a
clever script would be able to fix this easily).

E.g.:

$ wget http://webcam3.mydomain.com/mjpg/video.mjpg

(I got the URL by right-clicking the video element in the HTML page the camera
serves to a browser).

Regards,
Bryn.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 18/02/11 11:24, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On 02/18/2011 03:42 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> I have some cameras watching the pasture and I usually view the
>> image via VLC although other app's do work. How can I save a
>> video clip? I see no provision for saving in the VLC or smplayer
>> menus.
>>
>> Am I missing something or is there a reason why this can't be
>> accomplished easily?
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> --
>>
> Just using wget on the mjpeg URL for the Axis IP-Cameras I have access to here
> works fine (you get some junk until the next frame boundary but e.g. mplayer/vlc
> have no problem playing the resulting file and a bit of xxd/dd fiddling or a
> clever script would be able to fix this easily).
>
> E.g.:
>

> $ wget http://webcam3.mydomain.com/mjpg/video.mjpg
>
> (I got the URL by right-clicking the video element in the HTML page the camera
> serves to a browser).
>
> Regards,
> Bryn.

Why didn't I think of trying that? Yes it worked perfectly.

wget http://user:1000@cam2/mjpg/video.mjpg

That saved a video clip to:
video.mjpg

Which displays with SMPlayer like the picture I see on VLC.

I've poked at that several times and never found the answer. Now
I can save a picture of my mares running next time they decide
to do so.

Thanks much.

Bob