FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Joshua Andrews
 
Default trying to add a wireless driver -live spin

I am running a usb spin on a dell inspiron but the wireless, broadcom, doesn't
work.
I'd like to be able to insmod the proper module but without network, no yum to
install kmod-wl.
I could install kernel-devel and build the module if I even knew which kernel
package was used for the spin.

Is there a list of the packages used for the various spins?

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong. Anyway, thanks for any info.
J-




--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 PM
JD
 
Default trying to add a wireless driver -live spin

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Joshua Andrews <woodguy552010@yahoo.com> wrote:

I am running a usb spin on a dell inspiron but the wireless, broadcom, doesn't

work.

I'd like to be able to insmod the proper module but without network, no yum to

install kmod-wl.

I could install kernel-devel and build the module if I even knew which kernel

package was used for the spin.



Is there a list of the packages used for the various spins?



Maybe I'm going about this all wrong. Anyway, thanks for any info.

J-*


When yiou boot the USB spin, what does
uname -r


tell *you?


Or, more precisely,


rpm -q kernel



will tell you which version of the kernel it is running.
Once you know the kernel version, use another networked

machine to download the kernel-devel for that same version
your usb spin boots into.


At any rate, you might have to go the rpmfusion to find the
kernel-devel for your kernel.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Joshua Andrews
 
Default trying to add a wireless driver -live spin

Thank you.

I got it going with 'uname -r' found the kernel and down loaded rpms from rpmfusion.

Now if I can figure out the persistent overlay and write a script to install everything* when I boot the drive.

I'm not sure if I have to mount the overlay or what.

running from live spin now -- had to install firefox to check yahoo. it'll be gone next time I boot also.

When yiou boot the USB spin, what does
uname -r


tell *you?


Or, more precisely,


rpm -q
kernel



will tell you which version of the kernel it is running.
Once you know the kernel version, use another networked

machine to download the kernel-devel for that same version
your usb spin boots into.


At any rate, you might have to go the rpmfusion to find the
kernel-devel for your kernel.





--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Richard Shaw
 
Default trying to add a wireless driver -live spin

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Joshua Andrews <woodguy552010@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thank you.
>
> I got it going with 'uname -r' found the kernel and down loaded rpms from
> rpmfusion.
>
> Now if I can figure out the persistent overlay and write a script to install
> everything* when I boot the drive.
>
> I'm not sure if I have to mount the overlay or what.
>
> running from live spin now -- had to install firefox to check yahoo. it'll
> be gone next time I boot also.

If you successfully setup an overlay file then it should be used
automatically at least in my experience.

Richard
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 PM
JD
 
Default trying to add a wireless driver -live spin

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Joshua Andrews <woodguy552010@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you.

>

> I got it going with 'uname -r' found the kernel and down loaded rpms from

> rpmfusion.

>

> Now if I can figure out the persistent overlay and write a script to install

> everything* when I boot the drive.

>

> I'm not sure if I have to mount the overlay or what.

>

> running from live spin now -- had to install firefox to check yahoo. it'll

> be gone next time I boot also.



If you successfully setup an overlay file then it should be used

automatically at least in my experience.



Richard

--

users mailing list

users@lists.fedoraproject.org

To unsubscribe or change subscription options:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


Once you login to your USB spin, su to root* (should need no password)


Below is an example from Knoppix live CD:



dd if=/dev/zero* of=/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img bs=1024k count=1024
********* Change the value of count to reflect however much persistent storage you would like
********* if you USB stick has space available for it.


mke2fs -m 0 -F /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img

The ram based root file system on you USB might have a different mount point
such as
/mnt/sysimage

I am not sure of what the directory path should be for a Fedora live's* persistent storage,

so I offer only an example below:

mkdir /mnt/sysimage/persist


dd if=/dev/zero* of=/mnt/sysimage/persist/data.img bs=1024k count=1024

*****


mke2fs -m 0 -F /mnt/sysimage/persist/data.img
Next time you reboot, every time you modify something in /etc or /home in
the memory based file system, it will be automatically reflected in the persistent storage.



Good luck,

JD

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:07 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org