Old 02-17-2011, 04:04 AM
Ed Greshko

Default Where can I find a functional nslookup? ***AIX 6.11 is no better ***

> I may be able to get the AIX source, possibilities abound.

Have I got *NEWS* for you!!!!

I have a friend up in Korea with access to AIX machines. Their AIX
server is running 6.11

It has exactly the same nslookup as provided on the various Linux
vendors I mentioned.

The feature of "ls" is not implemented.

--
Some people around here wouldn't recognize subtlety if it hit them on
the head. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段

Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Bill Davidsen

Ed Greshko wrote:

>> I may be able to get the AIX source, possibilities abound.
>>

> Have I got *NEWS* for you!!!!
>
> I have a friend up in Korea with access to AIX machines. Their AIX
> server is running 6.11
>
> It has exactly the same nslookup as provided on the various Linux
> vendors I mentioned.
>
> The feature of "ls" is not implemented.

After some checking, it appears that AIX has dropped support for nslookup
between AIX 5 and 6, the management solution was to "look harder" for the fully
functional source. :-(

I'm wondering how long it would take to write nslookup in perl. No, I'm not joking.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 02-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Ed Greshko

On 02/27/2011 07:31 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> After some checking, it appears that AIX has dropped support for nslookup
> between AIX 5 and 6, the management solution was to "look harder" for the fully
> functional source. :-(

You're management *still* has it wrong. AIX and every Linux distro
hasn't "dropped" anything. They all get their "bind" software from the
same upstream source. That upstream source has depreciated nslookup in
favor of dig.

> I'm wondering how long it would take to write nslookup in perl. No, I'm not joking.

That sounds like a good plan. Write a tool in another language that
performs the same function of an existing tool...and then support that
tool into the future...all to avoid learning how to use the existing tool.

Your time may be marginally spent better writing a wrapper around dig to
make it appear as if it is nslookup.

--
It is easier to get forgiveness than permission. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市
八德路四段

Old 02-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Larry Vaden

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>>
>>> I may be able to get the AIX source, possibilities abound.
>>>

>> Have I got *NEWS* for you!!!!
>>
>> I have a friend up in Korea with access to AIX machines. *Their AIX
>> server is running 6.11
>>
>> It has exactly the same nslookup as provided on the various Linux
>> vendors I mentioned.
>>
>> The feature of "ls" is not implemented.
>>
> After some checking, it appears that AIX has dropped support for nslookup
> between AIX 5 and 6, the management solution was to "look harder" for the fully
> functional source. :-(
>
> I'm wondering how long it would take to write nslookup in perl. No, I'm not joking.

It was in

BSD/OS home.texoma.net 4.0.1 BSDI BSD/OS 4.0.1 Kernel #5: Thu Dec 30
20:38:22 CST 1999 root@mail.texoma.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/LOCAL
i386

so check online for the source or with Paul Vixie or someone else at ISC.ORG.

regards/vaden@texoma.net

Old 02-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Bill Davidsen

Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 02/27/2011 07:31 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> After some checking, it appears that AIX has dropped support for nslookup
>> between AIX 5 and 6, the management solution was to "look harder" for the fully
>> functional source. :-(
>
> You're management *still* has it wrong. AIX and every Linux distro
> hasn't "dropped" anything. They all get their "bind" software from the
> same upstream source. That upstream source has depreciated nslookup in
> favor of dig.
>
>> I'm wondering how long it would take to write nslookup in perl. No, I'm not joking.
>>
> That sounds like a good plan. Write a tool in another language that
> performs the same function of an existing tool...and then support that
> tool into the future...all to avoid learning how to use the existing tool.

Again, outside political concerns, training time and script rewrites are likely
to be more expensive than writing the tool.

> Your time may be marginally spent better writing a wrapper around dig to
> make it appear as if it is nslookup.

My time is best spent implementing what people will pay for. ;-)

These people not only don't pay for good advice, they won't even take it for
free in many cases.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 02-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Larry Vaden

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Larry Vaden <vaden@texoma.net> wrote:

>> I'm wondering how long it would take to write nslookup in perl. No, I'm not joking.
>
> It was in
>
> BSD/OS home.texoma.net 4.0.1 BSDI BSD/OS 4.0.1 Kernel #5: Thu Dec 30
> 20:38:22 CST 1999 * * root@mail.texoma.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/LOCAL
> i386
>
> so check online for the source or with Paul Vixie or someone else at ISC.ORG.

Even easier, it was in Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche). Verified
that it had been deprecated by FC3 (RHEL4). Sorry for the spotty
history, we don't have one or more of everything that has ever run
here in rural north Texas

regards/vaden@texoma.net

Old 02-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Ed Greshko

On 02/27/2011 08:30 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> These people not only don't pay for good advice, they won't even take it for
> free in many cases.

Good luck to you. No matter what direction you take, the chances are
sometime in the future the situation will become totally untenable.
I've seen that happen when it was no longer possible to compile old code
due to the library dependencies also becoming obsolete.

--
I have discovered the art of deceiving diplomats. I tell them the truth
and they never believe me. -- Camillo Di Cavour 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八

Old 02-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Jerry Feldman

On 02/26/2011 07:33 PM, Larry Vaden wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Larry Vaden <vaden@texoma.net> wrote:
>>> I'm wondering how long it would take to write nslookup in perl. No, I'm not joking.
>> It was in
>>
>> BSD/OS home.texoma.net 4.0.1 BSDI BSD/OS 4.0.1 Kernel #5: Thu Dec 30
>> 20:38:22 CST 1999 root@mail.texoma.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/LOCAL
>> i386
>>
>> so check online for the source or with Paul Vixie or someone else at ISC.ORG.
> Even easier, it was in Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche). Verified
> that it had been deprecated by FC3 (RHEL4). Sorry for the spotty
> history, we don't have one or more of everything that has ever run
> here in rural north Texas
>
> regards/vaden@texoma.net
One solution (that sucks) is to write a wrapper that provides the same
functionality as nslookup, and just call dig under the covers.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix

Old 02-27-2011, 03:30 PM
James McKenzie

On 2/26/11 5:30 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Again, outside political concerns, training time and script rewrites are likely
> to be more expensive than writing the tool.

It is best that you tell them that nslookup is not maintained, has MAJOR
security concerns and sell them on dig. If they don't buy, walk. I'm
serious, you will continue to encounter more and more problems with
these folks. They will have to bring in a consultant who WILL tell them
the facts and put it in their face. That is sad, but that is the way.
Unless you are a stakeholder, they will continue to ignore you.
>> Your time may be marginally spent better writing a wrapper around dig to
>> make it appear as if it is nslookup.
>>
> My time is best spent implementing what people will pay for. ;-)
>
> These people not only don't pay for good advice, they won't even take it for
> free in many cases.

Another reason to book, the faster the better. We don't even install
nslookup anymore and we are a MAJOR customer of Oracle and RedHat
(something in the number of thousands of systems installed.) I talk to
the manager of DNS services to see if their system has it installed, but
I'm just about certain that they are dig only.

James McKenzie

Old 02-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Bill Davidsen

Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 02/27/2011 08:30 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> These people not only don't pay for good advice, they won't even take it for
>> free in many cases.
>>
> Good luck to you. No matter what direction you take, the chances are
> sometime in the future the situation will become totally untenable.
> I've seen that happen when it was no longer possible to compile old code
> due to the library dependencies also becoming obsolete.

That is at least likely to remain solved, perl isn't going to be a problem using
the current library calls, and old binaries work just fine linked static.
There's a program (statify IIRC) which converts dynamic linked programs to
(large and ugly) static executable images.

Hopefully the economy will get better, and when they have to go to AIX 6.x they
will either change away from nslookup or pay for one in perl. It actually isn't
that awful a job, I suspect.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>