FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Claude Jones
 
Default Preugrade worked but release still shows previous

Ran preupgrade last night on an F13 box to move to F14. It seems
to have worked well. Packages were downloaded and installed, and I
was able to boot and log in. However, when I run:

# uname -a
Linux lj-124.levitjames.com 2.6.33.5-112.fc13.i686 #1 SMP Thu May
27 03:11:56 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I'm still showing fc13 - or am I misreading something?

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Richard Shaw
 
Default Preugrade worked but release still shows previous

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Claude Jones
<cjoneslists@tehogeeservices.com> wrote:
> Ran preupgrade last night on an F13 box to move to F14. It seems
> to have worked well. Packages were downloaded and installed, and I
> was able to boot and log in. However, when I run:
>
> # uname -a
> Linux lj-124.levitjames.com 2.6.33.5-112.fc13.i686 #1 SMP Thu May
> 27 03:11:56 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> I'm still showing fc13 - or am I misreading something?

Is it possible that since your F13 install was probably fully updated
that your F13 kernel was newer than the F14 kernel?

I would worry less about packages still showing "fc13" unless they are
from 3rd party or orphaned packages and worry more that all of your
repos are showing the correct version.

Richard
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Claude Jones
 
Default Preugrade worked but release still shows previous

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:24:52 am Richard Shaw wrote:
> > I'm still showing fc13 - or am I misreading something?
>
> Is it possible that since your F13 install was probably fully
> updated that your F13 kernel was newer than the F14 kernel?
>
> I would worry less about packages still showing "fc13" unless
> they are from 3rd party or orphaned packages and worry more
> that all of your repos are showing the correct version.

Thanks, Richard: yum repolist shows the following which seems
right:

# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
repo id
repo name
status
adobe-linux-i386
Adobe Systems Incorporated
18
fedora
Fedora 14 - i386
17,883
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing
RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 - Free - Test Updates
23
rpmfusion-nonfree
RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 - Nonfree
176
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 - Nonfree - Updates
222
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing
RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 - Nonfree - Test Updates
7
updates
Fedora 14 - i386 - Updates
5,036
updates-testing
Fedora 14 - i386 - Test Updates
953
repolist: 24,318

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2011, 02:55 PM
JB
 
Default Preugrade worked but release still shows previous

Claude Jones <cjoneslists <at> tehogeeservices.com> writes:

>
> Ran preupgrade last night on an F13 box to move to F14. It seems
> to have worked well. Packages were downloaded and installed, and I
> was able to boot and log in. However, when I run:
>
> # uname -a
> Linux lj-124.levitjames.com 2.6.33.5-112.fc13.i686 #1 SMP Thu May
> 27 03:11:56 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> I'm still showing fc13 - or am I misreading something?
>

Give us full output of:
$ cat /etc/fedora-release
$ su -c 'cat /etc/grub.conf'
$ yum list "*util-linux*"

JB



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Claude Jones
 
Default Preugrade worked but release still shows previous

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:55:19 am JB wrote:
> > I'm still showing fc13 - or am I misreading something?
> >
> >
>
> Give us full output of:
> $ cat /etc/fedora-release
> $ su -c 'cat /etc/grub.conf'
> $ yum list "*util-linux*"

this looks right:
# cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)

here's the next:

# su -c 'cat /etc/grub.conf'
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to
this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda3
# initrd /initrd-[generic-]version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=3
timeout=0
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686 ro
root=UUID=761bafac-3e7b-4ce3-9c23-75aaaed861b6 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
rdblacklist=nouveau
initrd /initramfs-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686.img
title Fedora (2.6.34.8-67.fc13.i686)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.34.8-67.fc13.i686 ro
root=UUID=761bafac-3e7b-4ce3-9c23-75aaaed861b6 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
rdblacklist=nouveau
initrd /initramfs-2.6.34.8-67.fc13.i686.img
title Fedora (2.6.34.7-66.fc13.i686)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.34.7-66.fc13.i686 ro
root=UUID=761bafac-3e7b-4ce3-9c23-75aaaed861b6 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
rdblacklist=nouveau
initrd /initramfs-2.6.34.7-66.fc13.i686.img
title Fedora (2.6.33.5-112.fc13.i686)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.33.5-112.fc13.i686 ro
root=UUID=761bafac-3e7b-4ce3-9c23-75aaaed861b6 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
rdblacklist=nouveau
initrd /initramfs-2.6.33.5-112.fc13.i686.img

and finally:

# yum list "*util-linux*"
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
Installed Packages
util-linux-ng.i686
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Richard Shaw
 
Default Preugrade worked but release still shows previous

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Claude Jones
<cjoneslists@tehogeeservices.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> here's the next:
>
> # su -c 'cat /etc/grub.conf'
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to
> this file
> # NOTICE: *You have a /boot partition. *This means that
> # * * * * *all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> # * * * * *root (hd0,0)
> # * * * * *kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda3
> # * * * * *initrd /initrd-[generic-]version.img
> #boot=/dev/sda
> default=3 <--------------------
> timeout=0
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora (2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686)
> * * * *root (hd0,0)
> * * * *kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686 ro
> root=UUID=761bafac-3e7b-4ce3-9c23-75aaaed861b6 *LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
> rdblacklist=nouveau
> * * * *initrd /initramfs-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686.img
> title Fedora (2.6.34.8-67.fc13.i686)
> * * * *root (hd0,0)
> * * * *kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.34.8-67.fc13.i686 ro
> root=UUID=761bafac-3e7b-4ce3-9c23-75aaaed861b6 *LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
> rdblacklist=nouveau
> * * * *initrd /initramfs-2.6.34.8-67.fc13.i686.img
> title Fedora (2.6.34.7-66.fc13.i686)
> * * * *root (hd0,0)
> * * * *kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.34.7-66.fc13.i686 ro
> root=UUID=761bafac-3e7b-4ce3-9c23-75aaaed861b6 *LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
> rdblacklist=nouveau
> * * * *initrd /initramfs-2.6.34.7-66.fc13.i686.img
> title Fedora (2.6.33.5-112.fc13.i686)
> * * * *root (hd0,0)
> * * * *kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.33.5-112.fc13.i686 ro
> root=UUID=761bafac-3e7b-4ce3-9c23-75aaaed861b6 *LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
> rdblacklist=nouveau
> * * * *initrd /initramfs-2.6.33.5-112.fc13.i686.img

Good thinking JB.

Claude, check the default line I arrowed in your post. I'm thinking
that should be 0 instead of 3. The first boot option is definitely a
F14 kernel.

Richard
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org