Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default WiFi: why not a diagram showing access points?

I'm having terrible problems with my modem/router at the moment.
The WiFi connection on my Thinkpad laptop drops every 10 minutes or so.
I have to restart the network service to get the connection back.

I'm not sure what exactly wakes the modem/router up when I do this?
I presume some packet my WiFi driver sends has this effect?

I haven't found anything similar with NetworkManager;
when I restart the NetworkManager service it just says it is re-starting,
but I'm still not connected.

Windows XP is even worse, as the same thing happens there
and I don't know of any way to re-start the network.

At least, there is a way with Lenovo's ThinkVantage tools,
which offer a crude map showing visible access points;
and if you click on an access point it tries to connect to that.

This seems a great idea to me.
Under Fedora, "iwlist scan" lists the access points that are within range;
surely it wouldn't take a guru much time to convert this into a map,
and add an option to click on an access point to connect to it?

I'm not sure, incidentally, what the position of the AP on the map conveys.
The nearer points correspond to stronger signals, I think,
but I don't know if the position on the circle of that diameter means,
if anything.

The wireless device on my present Thinkpad T60 laptop is
Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, with the iwl3945 driver.

If anyone can throw any light on my problem, I would be eternally grateful.
I assumed the problem was in the outside line to the modem,
but my ISP assures me the line is perfect.

I tried using another modem (Billion), but it needs a password
and the password my ISP sent me does not seem to work.
(It is their modem.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Joe Zeff

On 02/15/2011 02:04 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm having terrible problems with my modem/router at the moment.
> The WiFi connection on my Thinkpad laptop drops every 10 minutes or so.
> I have to restart the network service to get the connection back.

Everything you've written tells me that this isn't a Fedora problem or
even a problem with your laptop. If, as you say, the password your ISP
gave you for your new modem doesn't work, it's their problem. Talk to
them again and, if all else fails, insist on getting that modem replaced
with one that works. (From what you write, it was defective "out of the
box," making this a warranty issue, and they shouldn't charge you for
replacement.)

Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 14:33 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 02:04 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > I'm having terrible problems with my modem/router at the moment.
> > The WiFi connection on my Thinkpad laptop drops every 10 minutes or so.
> > I have to restart the network service to get the connection back.
>
> Everything you've written tells me that this isn't a Fedora problem or
> even a problem with your laptop. If, as you say, the password your ISP
> gave you for your new modem doesn't work, it's their problem. Talk to
> them again and, if all else fails, insist on getting that modem replaced
> with one that works. (From what you write, it was defective "out of the
> box," making this a warranty issue, and they shouldn't charge you for
> replacement.)

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's a password problem,
especially as Timothy didn't say it was. A marginal Wifi signal can
cause connections to drop. I recently has a similar situation and fixed
it (touch wood) by fiddling with the signal settings in the router, e.g.
changing the channel to avoid interference with a cordless phone, using
802.11g instead of 802.11n etc. There's a lot of black magic associated
with Wifi.

poc

Old 02-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Joe Zeff

> I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's a password problem,
> especially as Timothy didn't say it was.

Neither did I. However, the fact that the default password doesn't work
implies that the modem came mis-configured and that's what I'm referring to.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 16:01 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 03:49 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's a password problem,
> > especially as Timothy didn't say it was.
>
> Neither did I. However, the fact that the default password doesn't work
> implies that the modem came mis-configured and that's what I'm referring to.

It didn't work for a different modem. I suspect this is a side issue.

poc

Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 AM
Robert Nichols

On 02/15/2011 04:04 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I tried using another modem (Billion), but it needs a password
> and the password my ISP sent me does not seem to work.
> (It is their modem.)

It is quite common for a router to be configured to prohibit
administrative access from a wireless connection. Try using a
wired connection to log in and configure that modem/router.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Timothy Murphy

Joe Zeff wrote:

> On 02/15/2011 02:04 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I'm having terrible problems with my modem/router at the moment.
>> The WiFi connection on my Thinkpad laptop drops every 10 minutes or so.
>> I have to restart the network service to get the connection back.
>
> Everything you've written tells me that this isn't a Fedora problem or
> even a problem with your laptop. If, as you say, the password your ISP
> gave you for your new modem doesn't work, it's their problem. Talk to
> them again and, if all else fails, insist on getting that modem replaced
> with one that works. (From what you write, it was defective "out of the
> box," making this a warranty issue, and they shouldn't charge you for
> replacement.)

I agree that the modem password issue has nothing to do with Fedora;
it is just that my homicidal impulses towards Telecom Italia
are difficult to keep within bounds ...

But what is relevant to Fedora, I think, is the curious reaction
to a temporarily dropped connection,
which seems to differ between the network and NetworkManager services,
which in turn differ considerably from behaviour under Windows XP.
(I have to keep this option in place because the online Help service -
Alice te Aiuta - requires one to be using Internet Explorer at some points.)

Then there is the question whether the iwl3945 WiFi driver on my laptop
may have some part to play in the reaction to a dropped connection.
I have seen comments on the web recommending the ipw3945 driver instead.

Just to recall, the connection is usually restored
when the network or NetworkManager service is re-started,
which suggests to me that something sent from the laptop to the modem
wakes the latter up.

I regard it as more or less miraculous that ADSL modem/routers work at all,
and I view dropped connections in much the same way as other visitations
by the powers that rule our puny lives.
I begin to realize why the ancients made human sacrifices.

Though we would gladly give
The Oxford colleges, Big Ben
And all the birds of Wicken Fen,
It has no wish to live.

(Auden)

Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Timothy Murphy

Robert Nichols wrote:

> On 02/15/2011 04:04 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>
>> I tried using another modem (Billion), but it needs a password
>> and the password my ISP sent me does not seem to work.
>> (It is their modem.)
>
> It is quite common for a router to be configured to prohibit
> administrative access from a wireless connection. Try using a
> wired connection to log in and configure that modem/router.

I was actually using an ethernet connection for this.
I'm pretty sure Telecom Italia lied about their password
as part of their campaign to drive me insane.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Timothy Murphy

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>> > I'm having terrible problems with my modem/router at the moment.
>> > The WiFi connection on my Thinkpad laptop drops every 10 minutes or so.
>> > I have to restart the network service to get the connection back.
>>
>> Everything you've written tells me that this isn't a Fedora problem or
>> even a problem with your laptop.
>
> I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's a password problem,
> especially as Timothy didn't say it was. A marginal Wifi signal can
> cause connections to drop. I recently has a similar situation and fixed
> it (touch wood) by fiddling with the signal settings in the router, e.g.
> changing the channel to avoid interference with a cordless phone, using
> 802.11g instead of 802.11n etc. There's a lot of black magic associated
> with Wifi.

Indeed, the two issues (modem password and dropped connections)
are completely unrelated, and I shouldn't have mentioned them together.

Unfortunately the modem/router supplied by my ISP (Telecom Italia)
has absolutely no options for the user
(I can't even change the encryption key),
or if there are any they are in the Smart Card
one has to insert in the modem.

But the WiFi interface seems more touchy than the Ethernet interface.
If the ethernet connection goes down the so does WiFi,
and I have to turn the modem off and on again.
But the WiFi connection drops much more often, every 10 minutes or so,
and I can usually re-start it by re-starting NetworkManager.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 14:14 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Joe Zeff wrote:
>
> > On 02/15/2011 02:04 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> >> I'm having terrible problems with my modem/router at the moment.
> >> The WiFi connection on my Thinkpad laptop drops every 10 minutes or so.
> >> I have to restart the network service to get the connection back.
> >
> > Everything you've written tells me that this isn't a Fedora problem or
> > even a problem with your laptop. If, as you say, the password your ISP
> > gave you for your new modem doesn't work, it's their problem. Talk to
> > them again and, if all else fails, insist on getting that modem replaced
> > with one that works. (From what you write, it was defective "out of the
> > box," making this a warranty issue, and they shouldn't charge you for
> > replacement.)
>
> I agree that the modem password issue has nothing to do with Fedora;
> it is just that my homicidal impulses towards Telecom Italia
> are difficult to keep within bounds ...
>
> But what is relevant to Fedora, I think, is the curious reaction
> to a temporarily dropped connection,
> which seems to differ between the network and NetworkManager services,
> which in turn differ considerably from behaviour under Windows XP.
> (I have to keep this option in place because the online Help service -
> Alice te Aiuta - requires one to be using Internet Explorer at some points.)
As an aside, there is an add-on called: Default User Agent
that if installed in Firefox on Fedora allows the Firefox to act as
Internet Explorer.

Googling for Default User Agent will allow you to find it's installer.