Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Chris Kottaridis

Default Trouble Installing Fedora 14 on VMware 7.1.3

I have VMWorkstation 7.1.3 installed on my Windows 7 box and a Fedora
Core 14 box. When I try to create a VM machine and install Fedora 14
X86_64 I get the following error:

>The following problem occurred on line 65 of kickstart file:
>
>Section does not end with %%end

I have used this DVD to install Fedora 14 X86_64 on a real host with no
problem. I am pretty sure this was the DVD I used to install Fedora 14
x86_64 on the host I am sending this email from and trying to install a
Fedora Guest OS on since it's the only Fedora 14 X86_64 DVD I have
around and I am definitely running Fedora 14 x86_64 on this host.

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)

I have this same problem whether my host is a Fedora 14 or Windows 7.

Has anyone run into this before ?

Any pointers or suggestions appreciated.

By the way I can install Fedora 13 x86_64 DVD just fine.

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis

Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM
"Robert G. (Doc) Savage"

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 06:12 -0700, Chris Kottaridis wrote:
> I have VMWorkstation 7.1.3 installed on my Windows 7 box and a Fedora
> Core 14 box. When I try to create a VM machine and install Fedora 14
> X86_64 I get the following error:
>
> >The following problem occurred on line 65 of kickstart file:
> >
> >Section does not end with %%end
>
> I have used this DVD to install Fedora 14 X86_64 on a real host with no
> problem. I am pretty sure this was the DVD I used to install Fedora 14
> x86_64 on the host I am sending this email from and trying to install a
> Fedora Guest OS on since it's the only Fedora 14 X86_64 DVD I have
> around and I am definitely running Fedora 14 x86_64 on this host.
>
> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
> Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)
>
> I have this same problem whether my host is a Fedora 14 or Windows 7.
>
> Has anyone run into this before ?
>
> Any pointers or suggestions appreciated.
>
> By the way I can install Fedora 13 x86_64 DVD just fine.

Chris,

Just a WAG on my part, but I've had major kickstart-like issues trying
to install CentOS 5.5 under a Win7 VMware Workstation 7.1.3 host. When
it detects a CentOS guest install DVD, VM/W's automatic partitioning is
crazy. It's possible VM/W 7.1.3 got out of the barn just a bit too
early.

--Doc Savage
Fairview Heights, IL

Old 02-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Chris Kottaridis

Yeah, I though that if I had Fedora 13 installed maybe I could boot from
The DVD and do a Fedora 14 upgrade from DVD. But, I had trouble getting
VMWare to boot from the DVD even after adding bios.bootDelay = "5000".
This was a hint I found on the web to give a reasonable opportunity to
enter <esc>. I still couldn't get this to work, but could have been
pilot error (long story hard to explain in an email).

Then, I thought I'd install Fedora 13 then use the instructions here to
upgrade:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

Started out great but turns out it dies due to not enough room in /boot
or / because of the default partitioning. I don't know if that's
VMware's fault or Fedora not leaving enough room for upgrading this way.

I decided maybe it was VMware's "Easy Install" that was getting things
wrong. So, I created a VM machine and selected "Install Later", in hopes
it would bypass the easy install. It created the machine and when I
powered it up the first time it booted from the DVD and I went through
all the install steps and partitioned the disk my own way that will
hopefully allow me to upgrade to Fedora 15 someday in the future, using
the yum suggestions above.

At any rate Fedora 14 is in the process of installing all the packages
as I write this. I assume everything will be OK from here forward.

I guess VMWare's easy install ain't so easy.

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis

Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Robert Myers

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Chris Kottaridis
<chriskot@quietwind.net> wrote:
> I have VMWorkstation 7.1.3 installed on my Windows 7 box and a Fedora
> Core 14 box. When I try to create a VM machine and install Fedora 14
> X86_64 I get the following error:
>
>>The following problem occurred on line 65 of kickstart file:
>>
>>Section does not end with %%end
>
> I have used this DVD to install Fedora 14 X86_64 on a real host with no
> problem. I am pretty sure this was the DVD I used to install Fedora 14
> x86_64 on the host I am sending this email from and trying to install a
> Fedora Guest OS on since it's the only Fedora 14 X86_64 DVD I have
> around and I am definitely running Fedora 14 x86_64 on this host.
>
> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
> Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)
>
> I have this same problem whether my host is a Fedora 14 or Windows 7.
>
> Has anyone run into this before ?
>
> Any pointers or suggestions appreciated.

Not a pointer and don't know if it's any help. VMWare Freeware (I get
tired of their marketing names), not the Workstation, installed Fedora
14 for me just fine under Vista. I think I built the machine from an
iso image and not from a physical disk. The relevant software is all
free from VMWare. Once the machine is built, I'd imagine that
Workstation would run it, but who knows.

Robert.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM
David Lehman

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 06:12 -0700, Chris Kottaridis wrote:
> I have VMWorkstation 7.1.3 installed on my Windows 7 box and a Fedora
> Core 14 box. When I try to create a VM machine and install Fedora 14
> X86_64 I get the following error:
>
> >The following problem occurred on line 65 of kickstart file:
> >
> >Section does not end with %%end

This error is coming from the kickstart parser. Your kickstart
configuration script contains syntax that is not valid in Fedora 14.

Perhaps your other F14 installs were not kickstart installs?

At any rate, your kickstart needs a little update. Edit your kickstart
script with a text editor and put a %end at the end of your %packages
section and also at the end of any %pre or %post scripts. Then it'll run
without the above error.

David

Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Athmane Madjoudj

On 02/20/2011 08:08 PM, David Lehman wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 06:12 -0700, Chris Kottaridis wrote:
>> I have VMWorkstation 7.1.3 installed on my Windows 7 box and a Fedora
>> Core 14 box. When I try to create a VM machine and install Fedora 14
>> X86_64 I get the following error:
>>
>>> The following problem occurred on line 65 of kickstart file:
>>>
>>> Section does not end with %%end
>
> This error is coming from the kickstart parser. Your kickstart
> configuration script contains syntax that is not valid in Fedora 14.
>
> Perhaps your other F14 installs were not kickstart installs?
>
> At any rate, your kickstart needs a little update. Edit your kickstart
> script with a text editor and put a %end at the end of your %packages
> section and also at the end of any %pre or %post scripts. Then it'll run
> without the above error.

AFAIK, VMware Workstation 7 / Player 3 have a feature named "Easy
Install" when the "New VM Wizard" detect Fedora, it insert a second CD
into the VM which have a kickstart containing the settings used in the
Wizard but unfortunately the generated kickstart have a syntax error.

The solution is to choose "Install system later" and then insert the
Fedora ISO/CD/DVD

PS.
In my experience only Windows guest can be installed with "Easy
Install", BTW now I'm running KVM, only my laptop run VMware Player 3 on
Fedora 14 (no VT).

HTH

--
Athmane Madjoudj